PDA

View Full Version : NUMMI Re-opens

Murgatroy
05-21-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-21/toyota-buying-tesla-stake-for-electric-car-tie-up-update2-.html

Toyota buys stake in Tesla, reopens NUMMI.

I like it.

VikingJZ
05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I like it too.

Maybe they can put some of the workers from NUMMI back to work for Tesla.

85gtsblackman
05-23-2010, 06:13 PM
that would only be good buisiness practice if they do it without the uaw

or if they do use the cali union, i forgot the name that had a work at will policy

klapa
05-23-2010, 07:12 PM
That's all "great and good" for the "spin-masters", yet as someone who has many years experience on the periphery of both electric utility and automotive industry I can tell you that such cars are no "cure" for the "oil problem".

You still need the power - and because the nuclear power plants have essentially not been built since the 80's the power will still need to come from fossil fuel plants.

wontondon
05-23-2010, 11:49 PM
That's all "great and good" for the "spin-masters", yet as someone who has many years experience on the periphery of both electric utility and automotive industry I can tell you that such cars are no "cure" for the "oil problem".

You still need the power - and because the nuclear power plants have essentially not been built since the 80's the power will still need to come from fossil fuel plants.

Troof!

We can barely keep the lights on as it is, how will our grid deal with all these cars being plugged in. Besides, like klapa said, the power is coming from fossil fuels because americans get scared whenever someone mentions the "n" word (nuclear :D)

Galcobar
05-24-2010, 02:23 AM
True -- though in terms of efficiently converting fossil fuels to energy the internal combustion engine is particularly good. Putting the same fuel into a factory-style powerplant will yield more energy, which is to say you could run the same number of cars with less fuel.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-28-2010, 03:05 AM
As far as the plant reopening, it's not entirely like the media is putting on. Telsa bought part of plant, most likely the car line. This is really independent of Toyota. Toyota is buying stock in Tesla, about 5%. This isn't a joint venture as it's being made out in media. We've got quite a few NUMMI folks here at the plant and they've been checking. Tesla most likely won't have any obligation to hire any of the NUMMI works or take back the UAW. My guess would be that the Musk, the head of Tesla, will look for new labor.

I haven't seen what this sedan is supposed to look like. I'm wondering if it's a new design or if Tesla is using someone elses chassis/body structure like they did with the roadster. They're saying that Tesla is supposed to hire 1000 people. I guess we'll see how this works out.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Found this in the company daily news.

From Tesla's revised IPO docs they're paying $45M 55% of the site including all of the plant. I guess they've got big plans and dreams since that plant has a capacity of over 400,000 cars a year. Hope it works out for them though.

http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2010/05/24/daily86.html?ana=yfcpc