PDA

View Full Version : tips for the strip

celica9303
05-19-2010, 06:42 AM
so austinc and i are taking the celica's(my 5th gen and his 7th gen gts) up to milan dragway(today as its 1:30am)tommorow. I have never been to the track with My celica, i was at the track once in my old honda about 6 or 7 years ago(i was a senior in hs)

any advise for me with my car/
should i lower the psi in my tires alittle there at 32 now?
will the 17's hurt me? cuz my steelies have shit tires onthem and i wont grip at all.
launch rpm guestimate? i know this will just have to be played with...
ive already removed spare tire and jack and any other things that are in the car besides seats and interior
do you launch at the last yellow? or when you see green?

im still on all stock suspension and motor mounts, so wheel hop is gonna kill my 60'
i also have a lightweight flywheel, my clutch will take the abuse i gaurentee it so im not worring about breaking anything. Im also gonna seafoam th car before we go jsut as good measure.

i hoping for at least a 16sec pass but idk this will be the first time ever with this car and havent run a true drag in a long time.

were leaving at 4pm so any advise is appreciated i will post times later.

joe's gt
05-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I don't have any experience drag racing, and am too afraid of screwing the clutch while launching so I can't offer much advise on that. But as far as once you are rolling and shifting fast, I'd recommend not worrying about pushing the clutch all the way to the floor. If your synchros are in good shape, a few inches past where the clutch pedal gets hard, you should be able to shift smoothly and effortlessly into gear, and shouldn't have to force anything. The shifter should almost pull itself into gear, provided your tranny is in good shape. Fast, jerky shifting movements only spell trouble. It should be very quick, but also very smooth.

vip09
05-19-2010, 08:54 AM
You really don't make enough power to worry too much about the launch. You will have to find the best combo of rpm/how fast you dump the clutch for your car. If you are spinning a lot, lower the tire pressure to 18psi or so.

It doesn't matter when you launch unless you are bracket racing. If you are doing test & tune, your time doesn't start until you cross the beams. If you are bracket racing, launch just before the green lights up.

Here's a vid of a 7th gen going through the gears at the drag strip. This is about how fast I shift when racing. If you shift like this all the time, your synchros will die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGikKpvdeU4

celica9303
05-19-2010, 09:20 AM
You really don't make enough power to worry too much about the launch. You will have to find the best combo of rpm/how fast you dump the clutch for your car. If you are spinning a lot, lower the tire pressure to 18psi or so.

It doesn't matter when you launch unless you are bracket racing. If you are doing test & tune, your time doesn't start until you cross the beams. If you are bracket racing, launch just before the green lights up.

Here's a vid of a 7th gen going through the gears at the drag strip. This is about how fast I shift when racing. If you shift like this all the time, your synchros will die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGikKpvdeU4

yeah its jsut a test and tune.

did you get into lift inthe vid? i couldnt tell. yeah from the video you used the parking brake?was that for a burn out? my parknig brake doesnt work......
I dont make near enogh power to worry about the lauch but also dont want to make a complete fool out of my self, i have no clue at what rpm i should try it at i was thinking round 3k for the 5s,
should i slip the clutch alittle on th start? idk but i know that austin will kill my car in his gts. ill bring a tire gauge with me just in case

what are the beams?

vip09
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
That wasn't me in the vid. But yeah you only hear it go into lift in 1st gear, he never dropped out on the shifts.

Yes, the parking brake was held so the car could do a burn out after going through the water box.

I would guess 3k-4k rpm would be a good area for the 5S. You can slip the clutch a little.

The beams are not visible. It's like a laser beam. When you cross through it starts your time.

Mafix
05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
personally i'd still drop the tire pressure. 32 will spin in 1st gear. start at 25 or so.
i think vip and i shift near the same way, not good for the tranny. infact i never lift off the gas pedal during the race.

celica9303
05-19-2010, 08:25 PM
ok thanks guys. i guess ill just see what happens, it will be a learning experience

bloodMoney
05-19-2010, 09:57 PM
If you turn, you're doing it wrong. :p

Seriously though, during your run, I wouldn't rev much past 55-5600 RPM b/c the 5s just doesn't have the high end torque there. If you over-rev, your ET will increase. One of you should take vids while the other is running...

celica9303
05-20-2010, 04:11 AM
well austin and i got back a little while ago....didnt break anything.

WHEEL HOP killed me for the most part, even after droping the tires to 15psi

near the end off the night my rt was around a .09-.16

my 60's are what killed me do to the wheel hop.

my best time is here:
+.2602 reaction
2.4817 60 ft
7.0808 330 ft
10.2957 et@594 ft
11.0147 1/8 mile
62.58 1/8 mph
14.3748 1000' et
72.81 1000' mph
17.2628 1/4 et
78.12 1/4 mph

I think once i get a new suspension and poly motor mounts i will beable to do away with the wheel hop for the first 30 or so ft. Got lots of passes in 10 total which i guess is more than what most get at a t&t. was hoping for 16SEC pass but yeah posted above is the best i could do. I think austins best time was a 15.6.
lots of room for improvment, shift faster maybe idk.. my 60' stayed pretty consistant at a 2.32-2.56

what do you all think?

vip09
05-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Not too bad. I guess a 2.3 60ft is good for your car.

I'm taking my n/a MR2 to the drag strip on friday, so we can compare times up to the 1/8th mile!

celica9303
05-20-2010, 06:35 AM
you dont got a 1/4 mile track?

there was an n/a mr2 there tonight but he wouldnt run, i even called him out a couple times,

racing against g8's and other v8 powered cars all night was very depressing. i lined up with austin 3 times and lost every time(i was expecting too) my worst run was a 18.6 lol we did get to see an evo X get taken by a fully loaded chrysler 300c. that was funny

cant wait to see what a 5s powered mr2 does

vip09
05-20-2010, 07:17 AM
The 1/8th mile track is about 20 minutes away. The closest 1/4 mile track is about an hour away. There are two other really nice 1/4 mile tracks, each about 2.5 hours away. Wish I had one closer =(

Mafix
05-20-2010, 01:24 PM
consistancy is key. fixing your wheel hop would be the thing to work on now.

celica9303
05-21-2010, 04:37 AM
im thinking it may be the 19 years old struts and springs but idk.....maybe motor mounts

Mafix
05-21-2010, 01:51 PM
why not replace all of it?

celica9303
05-23-2010, 05:14 PM
why not replace all of it?

plan on it.

Mafix
06-01-2010, 07:01 PM
my personal tip for myself:
if it's stock don't go. shattered an axle.