PDA

View Full Version : Did they make a non-turbo all-trac?

klapa
05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
I just got back from looking at an All-Trac.

It's a project car a "starving student" is selling - I could get it for ~$2400.

I drove it and everything seems to be working - trans shifts good, definatly has a performence clutch in it - turbo kicks in and I can really feel (and hear "that sound").

I was confused because I did not see that "square" intercooler sitting right on top of the engine. Plus the guy had what he called a "turbo timer" mounted on the steering column and said he always idles it for a minute or two before shutting it off to allow the turbo to cool. I was wondering if maybe it's just a 3sGE with a turbo stuck on there.

While the body is not bent - it is a Massachusets car and has enough rust to be missing parts of the rear quarters under the body. Interior is not torn but dirty - and no carpet.

The guy is gonna send me some photos later today of some of his build and parts, etc.

Si - I dunno - allot of money but sure felt good driving it!

Boycott!Swagger
05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Does it have a front mount intercooler? All a turbo timer does is keeps your car on for an extra *alotted amount of time* you can walk away with key in hand and door locked and the turbo timer will simply turn off once the clock hits zero.

I'm not sure if they made an alltrac naturally aspirated, it's possible, but it would make me wonder why a person would buy one then turbo it, when they could get one with a 3sgte.

ChrisD
05-17-2010, 07:01 PM
No, an alltrac was never offered without a turbo. If it is missing the turbo, it was done after the fact or is not an alltrac. Post pics, we should be able to figure out what's going on. :)

andy
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
make sure you check for that rear diff, if its there then your good to go.

UtahSleeper
05-17-2010, 07:18 PM
They probably have a front mount, but I would checking the turbo and the plumbing to make sure.

And no, no NA alltrac for the celica anyway. There were some corolla wagons......

Siyx
05-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Get a shot of it with the hood open if you can. Easy enough to spot what's going on under the hood if he's modified any of the lines.

klapa
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
make sure you check for that rear diff, if its there then your good to go.

Yea Andy - I checked for that and it's there. I spent more than a little time checking the underbody because it's a Massachusetts car - it was sort of odd that really about the only rust are the places on the very bottom of the quarters.

Anyway - I just called the guy and will have photos later this afternoon.

I still havn't told my wife about this ....http://www.celicatech.com/forums/images/smilies/wacko.gif

Mafix
05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
there are 3 non turbo alltracs. a camry, corolla and previa.

klapa
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Here are some pics.

Note the car looks allot better in the pics than what I saw. The car does have the air to air intercooler in the pics so I asked the guy about it and he said that intercooler wasn't good for much so he switched to the one behind the bumper that can be seen in one of the pics.

http://www.nashdom.com/FMIC.jpg

I'm feeling like I'm gonna get it. I figure it'll be better to tell my wife after I get it than to ask permission.....

http://www.nashdom.com/all-trac011.jpg

A better shot of the engine:

http://www.nashdom.com/engine.jpg

I was confused also that the trunk only had "Alltrac" on it as opposed to the "Turbo Alltrac" in the photos.

http://www.nashdom.com/all-trac018.jpg

Grot
05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
The turbo emblem doesnt look factory, and with the front mount, its better than the top mount

Terracar
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM

x2 - thanks Mafix, seen this and was wondering why nobody had mentioned these, since it was not specified Celica.

-Terracar

klapa
05-17-2010, 09:49 PM
The other bad think about it that it has ABS - which I don't like because when it breaks for some reason you essentially don't have any brakes.

Boycott!Swagger
05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
You can find out, get the vin and check it out, that will tell you if the car came turbo'd and isn't just a swapped deal

Atus
05-17-2010, 11:48 PM
The other bad think about it that it has ABS - which I don't like because when it breaks for some reason you essentially don't have any brakes.

ABS is easy to cut off. Get more info about things what was done by seller so can see how many good or crap upgrades he did.

klapa
05-18-2010, 12:47 AM
The mods:

new parts are:

entire water pump and housing
front main seal
both Cam Seals
oil pan gasket
all belts
Timing belt
rear differential
front axles
fuel pump
cross drilled rotors
brake pads
fresh replacement ct26 turbo
valve cover gasket

upgrades i've done are:

pivot full turbo timer
knock off hks blow off valve
front mount XS power intercooler
Super Rare RC-GT4 front bumper
Super Rare RC driver and passenger seat
ebay steering wheel
TRD shift knob
Push button Start
Autometer dash mount/eyelid Boost gauge
aftermarket 3" downpipe
RJ's 3" mandrel bent exhaust from downpipe all the way to rear axle - from rear axle its stock exhaust out

METDeath
05-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Basically to see if it's a swap or the real deal just look at the rear fenders and under the car for a rear diff. Or look at the VIN or chassis code stamped on the firewall.

klapa
05-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Yea - I was a dunce and didn't get the VIN when I was there today -

If it is the real deal - it seems to be worth it - any comments on that?

I'll have to sell my ST at some point or get a divorce.

Gary
05-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Alltrac VIN always starts with JT2ST88 for ST185 and JT2ST68 for ST165

klapa
05-18-2010, 03:55 AM
Thanks Gary - that's very helpful - I can just check the title for that in the morning.

pinoyGT4
05-18-2010, 04:28 AM
are those the actual pics?

then maybe its really an alltrac..

my engine bay looks like that.. except for the IC cover and the AFM tirned sideways.. ahaha!

klapa
05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
Well - decision time will be in the AM tomorrow - the other rather "parallel" thread to this one by celica9393 helps - especially with the comments from vip09 - I'll take a much closer look at the fuel and brake lines around the fuel tank and rear wheel area - as well as the front sway bar mounting bolts before plunking anything down on it.

Still - from what I cold see this AM without a flashlight - the rust isn't nearly as bad as that car in the other thread. I don't have the luxury of being able to jack the thing up and get under it - but I'll show up tomorrow with my grease jeans on and a flashlight in hand.

bloodMoney
05-18-2010, 05:14 AM
I'll make it real easy for you klapa....

Look at it from the back and if you can see the gas tank instead of the spare tire well, then you're in business...

Grot: That turbo badge is OEM. That's the way they came badged here in the states :)

klapa
05-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Actually - I'm beginning to get "cold feet" about the whole thing.

My whole purpose is to get a "project car" with potential - and while the AllTrac is alluring I think I'm really loosing focus on my original thoughts about how to go about it.

My idea has always been that you start out with a body in as near perfect shape as possible that can accept the mechanical you think you need. This is because it is much easier to replace/repair the mechanical than it is the body.

Here I am violating every precept of that plan - just because it is an "AllTrac". YES - it is true - they only made a few of them - and YES - it is true - they are the penultimate Celica.

Yet I think I am letting my brain be muddled by a little bit of "turbo envy" contracted during the Dragon Run. Is the AllTrac really "that much better" handler compared to a FWD? Certainly - here in NC - I don't need it for the weather.

I'm sitting here wondering - why am I buying a rust bucket for maybe $2400 when I could get a good 5th gen body for under $1000 and then a 3sge/gte for another ~$1200 and have a great performance Celica that looks good too without so much work and expense?

Grot
05-18-2010, 05:33 AM
I garuntee you that Murg in his ST can out handle almost everyone at the dragon meet.

also id love to see a halftrac coupe.

85gtsblackman
05-18-2010, 05:36 AM
better to buy and if u have remorse sell, than to have wonder about what u could have

i think its worth it

celica9303
05-18-2010, 05:55 AM
do IT cuz i cant :-(

klapa
05-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the input 84GTS.

The points made by Vip09 in the other thread are well taken - the sure thing to look for is rust around the fuel tank area where the line go in - if that's fudged up you may as well chuck the whole thing.

Anyway - I already know what will happen - I'll go there and look at everything and then drive it again and forget everything that makes any sense and just buy it.

Thanks everybody for your input - I now have an easy way to be sure it is indeed an original ST-185 and not some hack-job.

Of course - here I am already talking myself back into the deal.

Either way after this I need to make a "new rule" - every morning when I get up I will go look in the mirror and repeat three times:

"I am not going to buy a Celica today". . .

Gary
05-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Good luck Klapa. If the car is in triad area, I am happy to go with you and help you checking it out. I am pretty familiar with alltrac, especially the ones from New England area :D

klapa
05-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Gary - that's a very generous offer - but the schedule is that I'm meeting the guy in Cary about 9:30 AM tomorrow and I will decide or not decide to buy the car by around 11:00 AM max - so I think I'm on my own here.

I'll be dressed for the occasion and have my flashlight - I'll be looking at the fuel and brake lines at the rear of the car (entrance to tank and wheels) - basically looking for any surface rust under the car - checking VIN - and then if I decide to get it figuring out how to get it home without a plate and not getting a ticket.

Basically speaking - my "gut feeling" here is that this guy is pretty "square".

Any other points to check would be good to know.

celica9303
05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
i say if it legit buy it, i would for that price. then go to bmv and get plates

Carolina91GT-S
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
post up what you decide to do....if you don't buy it. i'll have to go look at it. it's only 20-30 minutes from me.

I have been looking for a project car like this around here for years....figures I go divign this weekend and one pops up on Craigslist

~Chris

pinoyGT4
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
better to buy and if u have remorse sell, than to have wonder about what u could have

i think its worth it

+1

:D

klapa
05-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Just got back - needless to say in MY AllTrac.

Even made it home with no plates.

Gotta run to work now.

UtahSleeper
05-18-2010, 05:01 PM
PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

v8killer
05-18-2010, 05:13 PM
i had buyers remorse till i drove it when it was mine..... i gotta say its well worth it and handling come with setup and just plain skill. as you all know the 3sgte can make a crap-load of power. i'd say get the awd celica there is nothing like awd/turbo

celica9303
05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
congrats !

Murgatroy
05-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Grats!

bloodMoney
05-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Wow! Congrats on the purchase! Now treat her well, so that when she misbehaves on you, you can beat her until she straightens up again.... lol (if only it was that easy) :)

Hookecho
05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
i'm glad you bought it man. you couldn't have bought a car and done a swap any cheaper. plus you won't have to worry about the headaches involved with a swap. you get to mod a running alltrac now. congrats!

Lonestag
05-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Grats Sir!
I'm jealous.

pinoyGT4
05-19-2010, 04:20 AM
congrats !

cant wait to see your congratulatory thread bro! :biggthumpup:

anyway, grats klapa! have fun!! :biggthumpup:

klapa
05-19-2010, 04:55 AM
post up what you decide to do....if you don't buy it. i'll have to go look at it. it's only 20-30 minutes from me.

I have been looking for a project car like this around here for years....figures I go divign this weekend and one pops up on Craigslist

~Chris

Carolina -

Yea - I have been looking for a project car for awhile myself - as I figured out that I really don't want to change my GT - it's a great road car just the way it is and a good daily driver too.

I was thinking about a couple of body's to get - when I just thought to check Craiglist last Sunday morning - and saw that posting for the AllTrac that had been made just the Saturday night before.

I about pestered the guy to death before he answered me.

I said I wanted a "project car"? Well - this IS certainly one of those! While my GT "makes noises" this car more like ROARS with them - possibly in part due to no carpet.

At the end of the day - I was exactly like V8Killer posted - I had "buyer's remorse" - right up till the time I sat in that seat and hit the gas! Then - I knew I did the right thing.

Note I will post on the "Craiglist find" page another car here - it's a '93 GTS with - if the photos are accurate - a PRISTINE body. I talked to the guy selling it - it is in a garage in Apex, and he seemed like he was of a real mind to sell.

It is advertised as having a "blown engine" - and when I asked him what that meant - i/e/ rod knock, etc. - he didn't know = he said to check with the garage that "told him" about the problem.

He's only "asking" $1K- I'd bet it could be picked up for $500-700 - and might have an interior that matches the exterior.

Thanks everybody for the good feelings!

Lots of work ahead - but I first need to "reclaim" my garage and get setup for work. I've got the tools - just need to make the space.

Next on the agenda will be to buff out and "pretty up" my ST - as I need to sell it to recoup some of the money I spent on this AllTrac.

I'll post some pics by the weekend - and start a project thread when I'm ready for it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Tis been a good week for finds! Congrats!!

Gary
05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Congrats! :)

Terracar
05-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Congrats!

Siyx
05-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Good find, Alltrac's are truly fun machines to drive.

vangls14
05-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Congrats. As others have mentioned, you cannot go wrong with an Alltrac at that price.

Carolina91GT-S
05-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Great find. Congrats....If you need parts and such go see JP (BlownTaco) in the parts Dept at the Fred Anderson Toyota dealership on 15/501 in Durham. He is an All-trac nut, has 2 of his own. Anyway he can help you out when the rest of the parts guys in the area have no idea what you are talking about. Celica community guys can get good pricing too.

~Chris

klapa
05-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Great find. Congrats....If you need parts and such go see JP (BlownTaco) in the parts Dept at the Fred Anderson Toyota dealership on 15/501 in Durham. He is an All-trac nut, has 2 of his own. Anyway he can help you out when the rest of the parts guys in the area have no idea what you are talking about. Celica community guys can get good pricing too.

~Chris

Thanks for the info - isn't that the dealership where the guy advertises on TV with a poodle in his lap? :)

Anyway - doesn't matter - I'll for sure be needing some OEM parts - so I'll hook up with that guy sooner or later.

Hope to hook up with you sooner or later as well - I could cook you a mean steak - plus you would be in "Cary 27513" - the third safest place to live in the USA!

I will not make any "Durham jokes" here . . .

celica9303
05-21-2010, 04:01 AM
i demand pics.....

klapa
05-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Celica9303 -

I had already some of them up here - but I don't know where that post went - so here are some more.

Mind you - don't know so much how to do "fancy stuff" - like 4thGenCelli knows how to make thumbnails and such - I'm just kind of and "intenet dunce".

Here ya go:

http://www.nashdom.com/alltrac1.jpg

Here is the car in my yard:

http://www.nashdom.com/DSCF0622.JPG

Here is the engine:

http://www.nashdom.com/DSCF0615.JPG

Some shots of the interior:
http://www.nashdom.com/DSCF0618.JPG
http://www.nashdom.com/DSCF0619.JPG

The steering wheel sucks - that will definitely be out the door soon enough - it is too small to see the instruments - tho maybe this is the "hot setup" I don't like it.

VikingJZ
05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Nice find!

Also, please ditch the Fram oil filter. :)

I'm sure you knew that though.

If you need gray carpet I can pull one for you locally, clean it, and ship it. The yard won't want much for it and you can just PayPal me for the cost, shipping, and maybe ten bucks or so.

Good luck!

pinoyGT4
05-21-2010, 12:47 PM
great buy!

but damn.. the previous owner drilled a hole on the dashboard? jeeez...

no worries, only minor "abuse" done by the last owner.. :D

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Haha, AWESOME!

You cover the shipping and you can have my carpet from my GT-S for free. Needs a good cleaning.

How sound are the floorboards and rockers? Looks like a perfect project AT!

klapa
05-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Car_Barn - the carpet sounds good - I'll PM you on that. I've really been hammered at work this week so will know more when I really clean the thing out tomorrow - but I checked the floorboards in the front and there was only surface rust on the driver side - everything seems to be solid enough to not need new sheet metal.

Pinoy - exactly my thoughts about the holes in the dash! Crap - the new boost gauge could gone in the area where the ashtray/stereo is without doing that! It's really hard to "repair" the vinyl - so that'll be a future issue when I get around to cosmetics.

For now - as mentioned - I need to make my garage be a garage again. I know for a fact that the passenger side ball joint needs replacing - so I think my first "emphasis" will be on suspension and the underbody in general - as well as checking out the brakes.

Tires and wheels need immediate attention as well.

Car_Barn - I was wondering about one thing concerning the carpet - and maybe this thread needs to move for questions like this.

Anyway - as far as I know in my "infancy" of Alltrac ownership - the Alltrac is a "wide body". Thus would the carpet from a GTS fit?

Grot
05-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Yes, the GTS is a wide body as well.

Also the wide should only affect the flare on the fender, the cabin should be the same across all LBs

Also nice find!

klapa
05-22-2010, 02:39 AM
Grot,

Thanks - obviously I've got allot of research to do - I had thought that "wide body" meant that the track (center to center distance between wheels) was wider - and that thus the whole body was a little wider as well.

pinoyGT4
05-22-2010, 04:55 AM
what we do with dashboard and interior panel problems was, a little putty and flat or matte spray paint.. :D

we did a friend's corolla ae92's dash board.. it has cracks and scratches, we sanded it a bit with fine sand paper, then maroon spray paint then flat top coat.. :D

it looks like original JDM maroon interiors.. :D

hth

Murgatroy
05-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Grot,

Thanks - obviously I've got allot of research to do - I had thought that "wide body" meant that the track (center to center distance between wheels) was wider - and that thus the whole body was a little wider as well.

No. The suspension is identical (for intents and purposes) between narrowbody and widebody.

Obviously the suspension is different in relationship to the AWD systems, but wheelbase and width is the same. The widebody just gives you the ability to run more tire and stay within the body.

Grats on the car again. I have seen pictures of it before. I am having issues placing it but it is ringing a bell in my mind about the suspension, something about the rear end, does it sit higher in the rear than the front?

I am gonna do a bit of a search, but I have a feeling the thread has been deleted as it was in B&S.

klapa
05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Murg,

Thanks as always for the input.

The car does seem to sit a little higher in the rear. One of the "new parts" listed by the seller was the rear diff. I tend to believe what the guy says - as if he was a liar and mis-representer he would has disappeared after he got his money - and he has not - but offered to help with technical issues I might have.

If you have some history to add - that would be very helpful indeed.

anyway - also when I was driving it I did notice that if I was accelerating a little hard and then fully let off the throttle suddenly there were noises that sounded like they were coming from the drive train.

Here are some more photos - and the last for this thread - as I will create a project thread in the appropriate place here.

A view of the car from the driver side:

http://www.nashdom.com/SideViewDriver.JPG

Same view from passenger side:

http://www.nashdom.com/SideViewPass.JPG

I checked today a little more for rust - pulled all the mats out of the front and rear of the cabin as well as looked underneath as best I could. The news there is pretty darn good - the worst of rust on the floorpan is really on the INSIDE of the car on the driver side - and very minor as the metal is still solid:

http://www.nashdom.com/FrontFloorPan.JPG

I checked the rocker panels as I'm able to get under it a little better on level ground - they are solid on both sides. The rear cabin floorpan has nearly nil rust showing.

The car has "keyless entry" which I don't know if it is "stock" or not - but the button thingy has "Toyota" on it. I'm a little worried as it does seem to have some sort of security system - I need to find out about that in case the button thingy goes bad - as whenever I lock the doors with the button I have flashing lights on this console switch:

http://www.nashdom.com/Security.JPG

The car has the whole "System 10" thing except there is no head unit that I can tell - but the guy told me all the System 10 stuff is in there - there is some little box under the driver side seat but else many connectors without anything attached to them.

http://www.nashdom.com/DoorPanel.JPG

Maybe the rest of the stuff is in my "parts kit" lol:

http://www.nashdom.com/PartsKit.JPG

No A/C - I guess it is a different belt on it - I don't care about A/C - this will be my performance car - not a "comfort car". Still - at some time with the previous engine it must have had such - as the climate control panel actually has a thermostat control:

http://www.nashdom.com/ClimateControl.JPG

It has all the controls for the power lumbar seats - but those have been removed and replaced with the "super rare" RC seats. I'll leave it this way - as again - this will be a performance car and not a comfort car.

The mirrors are on the fritz - only driver side will go up and down - not sideways - and passenger side does nothing at all. No probs there - I have JDM power folding mirrors for my GT - so will move the working mirrors from the GT to the AT.

I'm happy overall - I'm glad everybody here gave me good advice to go ahead and get this car - like Hookecho said - I could get a body dirt cheap and then buy a JDM engine - but by that time I'd have nearly as much money in it as I paid for this car - and still be looking at allot more before I was even at the starting point I'm at now.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I had the Toyota Security system. It has nothing to do with keyless entry, so it's probably pretty safe to say that it's non working.

The last guy who owned my now extinct rust bucket, pulled the horn wires because he couldn't figure out how to turn the alarm off. Turning the key twice to ACC kills the alarm. Opening any door, I think you got 30 seconds before the horn and lights went Jerry Lewis on you.

If you look under the driver side seat there should be a harness and a box for the alarm system. Also, if you pull down one of the rear seats, there should be what looks like an RCA cable that comes out of one. That plugged into the security box and set the alarm off if anyone was trying to gain access to your trunk.

I say pull the toggle and kill the system. They're only good for killing a battery.

darthripley
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
the carpet from a GT-S won't fit exactly right.
the tunnel for the driveshaft on the alltrac is what makes it not want to fit right plus the gas tank differences IIRC.
it'd prolly work as a stop-gap but you really would want carpet for an alltrac to get the exact fitment.

glad you got it & are going to fix it up - good luck with it :)

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
^^ Good call!

klapa
05-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks all - I'll PM Viking_JZ as here where I live we don't have a "pull-a-part" - only one place here and none have a Celica at all as ear as I can tell. Anyway - the carpet is minor at this point - as I said - the wheels, tires, and suspension will be my first order of business.

I will add that when I got under the car today I did notice that the exhaust system seems to be ~3" stainless all the way back to nearly the axle - and brand new too - all welded. The two air feeds from the intercooler to the turbo are all polished stainless except for the 90* bends that are flex.

I did a better inspection of the rocker panels and did note that on the passenger side there does seen to be evidence of Bondo - still - no cancer rust - everything is solid.

The guy who had this car seems to have done the things he did "right".

Nitro_Alltrac
05-23-2010, 12:34 AM
klapa, congrats on getting the Trac. It looks like a great starting point. I love mine.

One thing, do ANY maintenance necessary before you start modding. This is where the whole "All Tracs are realiable" BS comes from. People buy them that need the maintenance done, don't do it and run the dog piss out of them, they break and then are deemed "unreliable". They're as reliable as any Toyota as long you do the maintenance.

I daily drive mine as I have for about four years and have had very little trouble with it. What trouble I have experienced has for the most part either been of my own doing or that of my "former" garage.

They're a great car you'll love it! Congrats again.:biggthumpup:

The Captain
05-23-2010, 12:38 AM
If you need gray carpet I can pull one for you locally, clean it, and ship it. The yard won't want much for it and you can just PayPal me for the cost, shipping, and maybe ten bucks or so.

Good luck!

This looks interesting...
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=8111&MakeId=28&ModelId=405

Nitro_Alltrac
05-23-2010, 12:43 AM
^That is interesting Captian. I'm going to have to check into that. I've got stains on mine that don't want to come out.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Flying the interwebs for wins!

GROUP BUY ON CARPET!!

bloodMoney
05-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Looks good Klapa!

I think that when you decide to finish the body work, I would suggest that you paint that car the OEM teal.... IIRC, it was a rare color to begin with.

darthripley
05-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Mike, have you tried to steam clean your carpet?
I've used my little steam cleaner + oxi-clean & got out old orange juice stains that had been there a few years in my Camry.

I need to clean Vadar's carpet too - just gotta find the time ugh.

Good advice on doing all the maintenance stuff first - it's key to any older car's durability.

klapa
05-23-2010, 03:58 AM
klapa, congrats on getting the Trac. It looks like a great starting point. I love mine.

One thing, do ANY maintenance necessary before you start modding. This is where the whole "All Tracs are realiable" BS comes from. People buy them that need the maintenance done, don't do it and run the dog piss out of them, they break and then are deemed "unreliable". They're as reliable as any Toyota as long you do the maintenance.

I daily drive mine as I have for about four years and have had very little trouble with it. What trouble I have experienced has for the most part either been of my own doing or that of my "former" garage.

They're a great car you'll love it! Congrats again.:biggthumpup:

Nitro - that's exactly my plan - to first get the thing "up to snuff" in stock condition by fixing the "issues".

What would I "mod" anyway? The last thing in the world I would do is just tear everything apart and have heaps of junk lying around in my garage for months and years. If the car runs they way it was when stock -well that's a great "upgrade" for me at this point! :)

The car runs well - it idles well - aside from a CEL after a long run on the road everything seems norm with the engine. Aside from a "spongy feeling" on the pedal the brakes work well (this car has ABS). While I basically don't like ABS - I'm not going to defeat it unless it turns out to be a problem.

The car is "wobbley" - the wheels and tires are bad and at least the passenger side ball joint is shot. I did look at the fuel lines to the tank and they are fine - along with the brake lines on the under body - but one of the four front sway bar mounting bolts is rusted through. There are - as mentioned earlier here - many "noises" that I will need to sort out - they might be exhaust system vibration (certainly some of them are) - but I think they might be coming from the drive train too. Whether this is "normal" or indicative of a problem - well that's where CelicaTech can help. I just need to sort things out and get to know the car to know the questions to ask - and that'll take some time.

My initial strategy is to get the thing up on jacks and do the ball joints and at that time check out the complete under body and brakes. I might also do bushings front and rear if I think that needs to be done. I will also inspect and possibly replace multiple suspension components during this first maintenance. I will NOT pull any axles, do any bearings or CV joints during this - just make notes of possible damage there.

Primarily - I want to keep the thing on the road and running - so that each time I do some actions I can test it out - refine it - and then move on to the next thing.

I made the mistake before when I built my 1967 Plymoth GTX Hemi car to do everything at once - and then have multiple problems when I brought the thing up. Not this time - I have the "brutal experience". I will take it one "system" at a time - and not worry about any "cosmetic" issues until this thing "sings" mechanically.

So that is my plan and it is time for a project thread! I want to accentuate the mechanical - yet at some point in the future I will need to get some body work and paint - as the 5th gen body IS the most beautiful body that could be - and I'll need to give that some justice. Yet as far as being "Captain Quality" where I could "eat out of the oil pan" - that is a secondary goal - not the primary goal.

I'm excited about it, ready to get my hands dirty, and as long as I stick to my plan of not doing TOO MUCH at any one time my enthusiasm and energy will stay there.

Looks good Klapa!

I think that when you decide to finish the body work, I would suggest that you paint that car the OEM teal.... IIRC, it was a rare color to begin with.

Totally agree Bloodmoney - the existing matte black paint is already peeling off the thing - eventually I would hope to have the whole thing repainted as original - I like that color anyway.

Yet that seems to be pretty far in the future right now.

Murgatroy
05-23-2010, 04:04 AM
What kind of a bastard paints a Celica matte black in the first place?

klapa
05-23-2010, 04:16 AM
the "kind of bastard" that is more interested in function than appearances.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Or enjoys their ride to have it's very own 5 o'clock shadow.

85gtsblackman
05-23-2010, 04:21 AM
just go to a carpet store and get some "low pile" indoor/outdoor carpet and the green foan insulation that goes with it, get alot of that because u want extra to cut and use as a templet for the acuall carpet. then lay the foam insulation over the backside of the carpet and trace with a fat sharpie. Then cut the carpet and trim it down as needed.

this is what i did with my truck, looks good , feels good and its damn good sound deadening.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/truck%20nubmer%202/009-2.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/truck%20nubmer%202/008-2.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/truck%20nubmer%202/007-2.jpg

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Hey! Take your shoes off in the truck!

klapa
05-23-2010, 04:31 AM
^^:)

85gtsblackman
05-23-2010, 04:41 AM
its not like house carpet at all, its basicly outdoor carpet. basicly u can get it wet, dirty and abuse it alot and it cleans up easy , wont smell , and wont deteriorate.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-23-2010, 04:43 AM
^^sounds like what male scientists would create to be the perfect whore!

Seriously, put some shoes on when you go outside in the truck.

85gtsblackman
05-23-2010, 04:50 AM
haha, guess i walked into that one

well i give up

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Actually, I like the idea. It could really take some abuse. It beats sound deadening with rubberized products that can trap moisture along the floorboards and promote rust. As long as you don't go deep shag, you can't lose.

85gtsblackman
05-23-2010, 04:56 AM
well that and the fact that it cost me 30 dollars to recarpet my truck vs 130 for some thin crap

5thgenkeeper
05-24-2010, 02:24 AM

Previa was awd?

METDeath
05-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Previa was awd?

Yup, came AWD with a super charger, but you could get them super charged without the AWD.

5thgenkeeper
05-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Yup, came AWD with a super charger, but you could get them super charged without the AWD.

Now I want to pick up one of those ugly things :)

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Now I want to pick up one of those ugly things :)

They're a riot to work on and make bizarre rock crawlers.

celica9303
05-24-2010, 03:45 AM
They're a riot to work on and make bizarre rock crawlers.

true story, engine is under the drivers seat.....

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-24-2010, 03:53 AM
true story, engine is under the drivers seat.....

I fooled around with one in a junkyard. They are fantastically well built, albeit ugly. Love the backseat action ;)

85gtsblackman
05-24-2010, 04:44 AM
when i worked at toyota we used to call em "spaceship van"

the lite-ace van was called "starwars van"

Okctrd
05-24-2010, 07:21 AM
I fooled around with one in a junkyard. They are fantastically well built, albeit ugly. Love the backseat action ;)

my parents have one of those and i always wanted to make it like the ones from the japan haha "vip style".

but, I agree, they are well built though.

pinoyGT4
05-24-2010, 09:25 AM
if it came and can be force fed... why not go turbo with it? :D

The Captain
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Yet as far as being "Captain Quality" where I could "eat out of the oil pan" - that is a secondary goal - not the primary goal.

How did you know about my kitchen ware?

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
How did you know about my kitchen ware?

New non-stick line?