PDA

View Full Version : Want to do Motor swap in my 1989 celica GT, any suggestions or advice?

Krogers128
05-17-2010, 06:41 AM
alright so i just signed up here. I'm 19 and got a 1989 Celica GT Hatch, i want to make it a sleeper, AS much as possible. i heard you can do a 3s-gte swap? like a 2.0 L Turbo that comes out of a GT four or something? once again i'm kinda new. i basically wanna make it faster then all my gay friends civics and integras, once again, i want a sleeper lol. anyways i heard it can be done and i wanna know what i gotta do to do it. the cars not in bad shape at all, i got like 3k to work on it. so basically, how much would it about cost? what do i need? (new wiring, or anything like that), does the motor just drop in? any cutting grinding or welding? does it match up to the same style up pipe i have? how much power can i push out? etc, please help me out or gimmie any pointers! thanks much

Galcobar
05-17-2010, 08:02 AM
I'd suggest you start with the stickied threads at the top of the fourth-gen forum (which is where you posted this query) and then work your way through the more specific forums and their stickied threads.

RedRkt01
05-17-2010, 04:50 PM
^What he said. Then after that you'll have a better idea of some more specific questions to ask.

ChrisD
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the site! In short, yes it is absolutely possible to swap in the 3SGTE. Luckily, we have practically pioneered the 3sgte swap on these forums, and a lot of experts are here and able to help.

There is a lot of information in the Forced Induction forum, however here is a good place to start:

THE SWAP: List of threads related to the 3SGTE swap. (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31705)

celicaturbo700
05-17-2010, 05:57 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46373
this is a project thread but its very detailed with lots of pics on the 3sgte swap. only this is a gts

4thgenceli
05-19-2010, 05:58 AM
There's also my project linked in my siggy.

From experience, you'll prolly want to allocate a bit more in fundage for the swap. Myself, I spent $2000 alone on the motor & transmission. This didn't include the cost of the wiring conversion (paid for that), along with the parts (engine reseal), and the parts the part monster takes from me.

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 06:30 AM
alright thanks guys! i think i might just keep this car around for commuter and get back into the honda scene, probably buying a 2000 integra B18c boosted.

celicaturbo700
05-19-2010, 06:00 PM
im 19 too and i know what its like to want a fast car trust me. personally im looking at an mk1 mr2 and going with a 20v silvertop turbo engine is my goal. like tim (4thgenceli) said, you may need to raise more funds if you want to do a 3sgte swap. and why buy an integra if all your "gay" friends have hondas. i had my celica because i wanted to be different and the fact i was smashing almost every honda in my town. but to each their own i guess. and another question why boost a vtec? from what i have gathered they dont hold boost well.

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 06:22 PM
well i personally don't think for what i will drop into this it will smash on this integra i may buy. ill be almost at the same amount for this celica i would be in then opposed to buying the nicer/cleaner teggy. remember i'm still don't making my final decision till august so i've got time to think and finally decide! and as far as boosting a vtech, there's not really a down side to it, with a high revving motor and the boost helping you can't really go wrong, i mean i guess you could swap out the high compression pistons for low compression pistons, other than that you just need to make sure you get a damn pro like Tim Baily to tune your car.

ChrisD
05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, the 3SGTE is definitely a potent engine, so it's your call either way. 265 WHP on the stock injectors / ECU is definitely possible, the stock block can handle more than that too.

But I would definitely keep the project car as the one that pulls at you emotionally. That way you can daily drive a car you enjoy, and play and tune the car you love.

Cheers

Siyx
05-19-2010, 07:33 PM
The 3SGTE is a great start, They can reach Horsepower of 650+ with modifications :D
Just shimming the waste gate is a quick 10+ HP boost. Not to mention they are a pretty bullet proof engine. Can handle up to 14 psi without modification (aside from a boost controller). The list of small upgrades goes on and on. Then you get into the expensive stuff like larger turbo's, fuel pumps, injectors .... you get the idea.

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 08:54 PM
265 whp? by doing what besides the motor swap, case isn't the stock motor like 200 to the crank. and Siyx: you kinda made me wanna do that now lol, complete sleep plus tons of hp sounds good to me. like i said before i am debating about getting this integra but i do also wanna be different you know?

ALSO! does an MR2 lsd tranny bolt up to the 3sgte motor? cause that would be reeaallll nice to have. as far as i was concerned mr2's were rwd with a motor in the front? i would just buy the motor and tranny seperate. since i'm doing this in august i'll have about 7 grand for this project.

RedRkt01
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
265 whp? by doing what besides the motor swap, case isn't the stock motor like 200 to the crank.

Nothing.

ALSO! does an MR2 lsd tranny bolt up to the 3sgte motor? cause that would be reeaallll nice to have.

Yes.

as far as i was concerned mr2's were rwd with a motor in the front?

Uh, no. Rear Engine. RWD.

i would just buy the motor and tranny seperate.

That's what a bunch of us do.

since i'm doing this in august i'll have about 7 grand for this project

Go with a 3SGTE in a Toyota. $7k + 3SGTE = Better than any Honda product with modifications out there IMO. We've been doing this since before anyone else and were here before anyone figured out they could tune a Honda.

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 10:05 PM
well that was really helpful thanks! lol if you can't tell i'm new to this toyota scene. what kinda tuner could you get, like an AEM EMS or something?

RedRkt01
05-19-2010, 10:19 PM
well that was really helpful thanks! lol if you can't tell i'm new to this toyota scene. what kinda tuner could you get, like an AEM EMS or something?

Maybe I'm just a snob. But in my estimation and via the way I look at the world I feel very much above the whole Honda-ization of the performance world. I give credit where credit is due, but I largely look down my nose at that crowd. I sense a bunch of us feel that way. Maybe not everybody. But once they own a Toyota and start tuning most people stick around. My guess is once you get a 3SGTE and start tuning it you'll look at everyone else in the tuning wirld and say something along the lines of "ewwwwwwwwww.....what are those people doing over there?" LOL.

Once you start getting into the high horsepower range there is a whole new element to electronic control of the engine. Most people switch to EMSs, AEM being one of them.

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 10:26 PM
awesome, i'm looking forward to doing this now. does anyone know of any vids i can maybe see one? youtube don't have much. lol

also where would be a good place to find motors and trannys.

RedRkt01
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Dude, youtube has all kinds of stuff. Lemme dig one up......

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
i looked homie. i found very few haha.

RedRkt01
05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
You just don't know which tags to use. For starters try ST165, ST185, ST205, ST215, ST246, and 3SGTE.

Here is an MR2 with the 265hp 3SGTE. He used NOS and blew it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z0cO5wxgMY

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm assuming this car, minus the fact it's a gen newer, would be virtually the same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYwHUgzHPCQ&feature=related

RedRkt01
05-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Yes. Except that is the version of the Celica that came turbo and AWD from the factory.

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 10:40 PM
awesome. i like that gen way better than mine :/ but mine will look way more sleeperish lol. here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjGTsQqg86E

Siyx
05-19-2010, 10:51 PM
A loose rule to remember when dealing with turbo/psi is 1 psi = 10 hp.
My stock 3SGTE is running a variable psi output (0-8 psi depending on gear, i think its a JDM thing only) but for easy understanding lets say it runs 8 psi all the time:

1 - Stock JDM 3SGTE runs 241 hp
2 - I shim the waste gate to release a second later (for examples sake lets say i gain 2 psi by doing this) then I just gained 20 hp. (Didn't cost me a penny!!)
3 - I build a manual boost controller for $14.00 (google the plans) and I set the boost to 12 psi. I have now gained 40 hp over my stock 8 psi plus my 2 psi from the shim job. I just gained 60 hp for $14.00 !!
4 - I'm now at 301 hp (In theory this works, I have not done it yet ... but do know some that have)

Sooooo .... tuning a 3SGTE to 300 hp REALLY doesn't cost that much LOL

(Again, I don't claim this will be the results you get, but I'm betting it would be pretty darn close)

Krogers128
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
yeah true that. hmmm, yeah it's something to think about..

RedRkt01
05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
awesome. i like that gen way better than mine :/ but mine will look way more sleeperish lol. here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjGTsQqg86E

Your Celica looks about as good as mine. I have an 89 and two 88s. The 89 is my pride and joy.

Krogers128
05-20-2010, 06:06 PM
thanks man, i'm thinking about getting a 1990-1993 though instead of this one.