PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum flywheel pros cons??

90ToyAllTrac
05-17-2010, 01:59 AM
A friend of mine that knows about import turbo cars and does rally racing said that for street use, an aluminum flywheel would hurt take off acceleration because it has less mass.

Is that right? What are the pros and cons of an aluminum flywheel?

joe's gt
05-17-2010, 03:23 AM
The stuff I have heard about lightweight flywheels is that they are harder to launch, but once you are engaged, acceleration is faster cuz of the lighter rotating mass. I don't have any first hand experience or anything, but search might yield a thread about it. You might also lose more revs between shifts.

FluffyNutts
05-17-2010, 03:25 AM
The stuff I have heard about lightweight flywheels is that they are harder to launch, but once you are engaged, acceleration is faster cuz of the lighter rotating mass. I don't have any first hand experience or anything, but search might yield a thread about it.

I have not used one but I have heard the same thing, and I also hear it spools the turbo faster.

Grot
05-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Troof^^

celica91gts
05-17-2010, 05:58 AM
i have a fidanza flywheel. don't really know about it being slow when launching. the 5sfe is always slow.... but i can tell you that after 4k rpms the revs fly. this is also true about the opposite. revs drop fast as hell.

The Captain
05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
If this is a question of materials, I'd say go with a more durable alternative like chromoly or steel. 10lbs of aluminum weighs the same as 10lbs of steel. They don't make brake rotors out of aluminum.

If it's a question of weight, a lighter flywheel allows the engine to rev quicker in both directions. Less rotating mass. Rotating mass is stored energy. When you rev the motor and let out the clutch to move the car, that stored energy is used as the revs drop. With a lighter flywheel you have less stored energy. You'll have to be more vigilant at keeping the revs up as you release the clutch, lest the engine will slow more quickly. Up and down shifting is easier with a light flywheel. I absolutely love mine.

ChrisD
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I pull sub 2 second 60 ft times in the 1/4 with an aluminum flywheel...I don't think it's hurting my take-off times... :)

karl
05-19-2010, 01:14 AM
If this is a question of materials, I'd say go with a more durable alternative like chromoly or steel. 10lbs of aluminum weighs the same as 10lbs of steel. They don't make brake rotors out of aluminum.

well, they kinda do. they make the friction surface out of steel, while the hat is made of AL. just like the fidanzas, the friction surface is steel. i'm just being a weenie though :D

Up and down shifting is easier with a light flywheel. I absolutely love mine.

good GOD this is the truth. blipping the throttle above 3k it revs like a bike engine.

i've had a fidanza since 04 and i've yet to notice any 'cons' to driving with one. i have a pretty aggressive clutch with it, and my wife drives it just fine.

90ToyAllTrac
05-19-2010, 05:41 AM
well my stock has a stage 1 clutch and an aluminum flywheel. Im doing my JDM swap soon and i took it for a test drive and it felt fine. I'll probly keep the clutch and the flywheel.

Thanks.

Mafix
05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
honestly i changed so many things on mine at once i don't think the fidanza did a damn thing. lol.

vip09
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I used a Fidanza in my All-Trac and also have a Fidanza flywheel in my MR2. I don't have any negative things to say about them, no problems at all. Brand new friction surfaces are 50 bux!

Mafix
05-19-2010, 08:14 PM
that's why i used them, lol. no machining for me. just throw on a whole new plate.

Terracar
05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I have used a fidanza lightweight flywheel for years on my Celica 5s and 3s - I am sorry, but the people who say they are harder to launch are full of chit. Honestly I found it easier to get going as did anyone who drove my car. Now this may have been the upgraded clutch put in at the same time, but I doubt it. Especially since the upgraded clutch weighs the same as the stock one.

The engine revs easier and honestly while shifting you hardly notice the rev drop, which can take rev matching a bit to get used to, but no different than when you initially learn.

The other thing I did notice was a bit worse gas mileage due to the shear fact that I drove it harder.

-Terracar

v8killer
05-20-2010, 07:27 PM
The other thing I did notice was a bit worse gas mileage due to the shear fact that I drove it harder.

-Terracar

lol as with every upgrade

joe's gt
05-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Good to know that the launch thing is a myth. I know what I will be doing next time I need a clutch.