PDA

View Full Version : GT4 alloy pulleys

LionTR
05-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi there!

I just found that the GT4 guys are selling lightweight power steering pulleys and crankshaft pulleys. I find their prices quite reasonable as well, but I have some concerns, because I heard some bad stories and incidents about aftermarket pulleys.
I don't want to question GT4 quality or mean any harm, I just want to be sure it's totally safe.

So do anyone have experience with these parts?:

http://www.gt4.com.pl/polyurethane/images/pulley_net.jpg

http://www.gt4.com.pl/polyurethane/images/wspomaganie1.jpg

joe's gt
05-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Bad stories are most likely related to it not having a harmonic balancer. There's 2 sides to that story tho.

Shadowlife25
05-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Also whether it was designed for use on an Mr2 3sgte or an AllTrac/GT4 model.
Some slight difference as I recall reading on MR2oc.

LionTR
05-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Bad stories are most likely related to it not having a harmonic balancer. There's 2 sides to that story tho.

I'm not familiar with this part. I have read about it but what's the particular part on a 3SGE like? Does my stock pulley have the balancer and this way I should not use the alloy pulley (or only the power steering pulley), or is the balancer a seperate part, allowing me to use the alloy pulley?

4thgenceli
05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not familiar with this part. I have read about it but what's the particular part on a 3SGE like? Does my stock pulley have the balancer and this way I should not use the alloy pulley (or only the power steering pulley), or is the balancer a seperate part, allowing me to use the alloy pulley?
It's the same. The balancer & pulley are integrated together.

LionTR
05-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess it's a no for the crankshaft pulley then.
What about the PS pulley?

darthripley
05-22-2010, 11:10 PM
it's actually a rubber damper in the crankshaft pulley which helps absorb vibrations from the motor.
running a solid aluminum pulley with no damper will simply wear your engine out faster.
if you do a google search there's a guy who had one on his Sentra & shows what happened to the motor.

as far as the PS pulley goes, I can't really see any problems with that as the factory pulley has no rubber damper to begin with.
the only thing I can think of is it might make low speed turning a little harder due to the pulley being lighter but that might be negligble in real life.

The Captain
05-23-2010, 12:31 AM
^+1

MrTurrari
05-23-2010, 06:30 AM
I've been running an aluminum crank pulley on my car for almost 4 years now. There are a lot of horror stories out there about them but I would bet that most, even if they have some element of truth, had other things wrong that were the primary cause of the failure. In my opinion Toyota designed the stock pulleys to have a dampener only for situations where things got really out of balance. They have 180 degree cranks where everything has an opposing counter-weight so they do not suffer from the same problems as with 270 degree cranks which is probably where most of the horror stories come from.

If you engine is semi-balanced and everything else is in order like bearing clearances and oiling system working like it should then they are perfectly safe.

UndaGrwnD
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
i was also thinking about buying the crank pulley....but im still not sure about it...would you guys do it ?