PDA

View Full Version : 6th gen gt modifications

Dmoney157
05-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey guys i am new to the import community. I have a 95 Gt I am looking into the 3sgte swap. But i was wondering if there was a easy way to also make the Car rear wheel drive or even all wheel drive.

v8killer
05-14-2010, 09:43 PM
not easy and not cheap, but possible. there are a lot of options as for swaps u can go v6 or 3sgte 3sge 4age 4agze 4age/t depends what you want really the 4age is lighter but not as poerful as the 3sgte or 3sge. whats your budget?

Dmoney157
05-15-2010, 05:23 AM
I was wanting to stay under 10 Grand if possible. I was also wanting to do the 3sgte for the engine too.

v8killer
05-15-2010, 05:49 AM
holy shiat with ten grand i can build you one badd ass 6th gen!! the engine the trans fuel stuff suspension and good wheels and tires + roll cage! but enginewise it will take about 5k to build a nasty dirty rotten engine that will make people wonder if its a deathwish you have or if they are dreaming. that is if YOU do a lot of it yourself

Galcobar
05-15-2010, 06:23 AM
And 10G will still probably be insufficient to produce an AWD or RWD drivetrain.

Dmoney157
05-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah I have researched the engine part. The RWD and AWD were just and after thought for better grip. And as for suspension I have already done. I am to the point now were my 5fse is just not fast enough any more and they dont have a turbo kit and I have heard it cant hold alot of boost. And I am over all these hondas that think they are bad ass in my town. Toyotas are way better. I also heard that my transmission will work with the 3sgte so that will save some Money. But if you guys have any toughts i am up for anything.

MCcelica
05-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Reviews on the S54 holding up to a 3sGTE are mixed. Some do, some don't. If you were to keep the boost low and not beat on it, your existing S54 will probably be fine. I'm not thinking that's what you're wanting to do though since the 5s isn't fast enough anymore for you. A lot of guys use the e153 tranny from the turbo MR2 and frankenstein the halfshafts with the ones from the alltrac.

Galcobar
05-15-2010, 09:27 AM
As for a lot of boost -- the 5SFE can manage a surprising amount of it. There's a reason these engines are generally regarded as bombproof.

Pressure2 is pretty much the 5SFTE guru, having managed 300+ HP and torque (to the wheels, no less) on an unopened engine. I cannot find the dyno thread in which he posted up the last results, but he links the specs via 6gc.net: http://www.6gc.net/members/190

Edit: found the dyno results http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42183

METDeath
05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
As for a lot of boost -- the 5SFE can manage a surprising amount of it. There's a reason these engines are generally regarded as bombproof.

Pressure2 is pretty much the 5SFTE guru, having managed 300+ HP and torque (to the wheels, no less) on an unopened engine. I cannot find the dyno thread in which he posted up the last results, but he links the specs via 6gc.net: http://www.6gc.net/members/190

Edit: found the dyno results http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42183

He did change the cams, so it's not unopened anymore, but it's close. He was at something like 275whp.

Dmoney157
05-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Sorry i am new to the import turner world i dont know all the lingo yet. so i dont know what the e153 and all that i dont know what it all means i know what my engine is and that the 3sgte is a popular swap but other then that i am lost. this is my first import. what places have the best prices on the 3sgte with the tranny and harness and all that I need for the swap.

That car pressure2 built is bad ass. that was kinda the where I wanted to go with my95. One of the problems I have ran into is finding aftermarket parts for it. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spots but it seems to me like all the aftermarket is for the 5th gen and 7th gen.

UtahSleeper
05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
The motor options are all about the same for 5th to 6th.

From what I have read, isn't the 6th gen the easiest of the celica's to turn AWD since it has all the tunneling and such?

Dmoney157
05-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Ok cool. Like I said this is my first import so I have all kinds of ideas. I liked what pressure2 did with that engine I might try something like that. I have heard of intrgra drivers doing the vtech head swap is there a way to do thats on the 5sfe engine like putting the 3sgte head on it. Cuz it seems to me that is about the only weak part on the engine power wise. would that make it easier to turbo. just asking cuz the tranny mounting is the same and so is the exhaust manifold? any ideas. There are just so many differnt ways to go with these cars it is crazy.
Thanks guys
Dmoney

METDeath
05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Ok cool. Like I said this is my first import so I have all kinds of ideas. I liked what pressure2 did with that engine I might try something like that. I have heard of intrgra drivers doing the vtech head swap is there a way to do thats on the 5sfe engine like putting the 3sgte head on it. Cuz it seems to me that is about the only weak part on the engine power wise. would that make it easier to turbo. just asking cuz the tranny mounting is the same and so is the exhaust manifold? any ideas. There are just so many differnt ways to go with these cars it is crazy.
Thanks guys
Dmoney

While a 3S-GE/3S-GTE head can be swapped on, you need to wire up a RPM switch to control the TVIS (like VTEC, only I'm not sure of the technical differences between the two). We actually had a fellow from Australia do a write up on the swap.

m2736185
06-08-2010, 11:12 PM
What? You can put a 3SGTE head on a 5s???

bloodMoney
06-09-2010, 12:26 AM
The 5sgte is becoming a common motor. There are quite a few MR2 guys running these engines making a boatload of power....

OP: The E153 gearbox came standard on the MR2 turbo. Basically, find an MR owner that has upgraded to the Limited Slip E153 and buy their old trans. IIRC, Tweak makes the frankenstein shafts that are needed to accommodate the trans to the 6g celica.

Or you can go the easy route and buy an ST205 front clip and swap over the motor. The harness can be adapted to fit the ST2XX body harness (Tweak does this as well). Supershannon77 and Jim from 6gc.net have this swap done in both of their cars and Jim is making ~330hp on a basically stock 3rd gen 3S.

So your options are out there, the choice is yours.

KAOS
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
The 5sgte is becoming a common motor. There are quite a few MR2 guys running these engines making a boatload of power....

OP: The E153 gearbox came standard on the MR2 turbo. Basically, find an MR owner that has upgraded to the Limited Slip E153 and buy their old trans. IIRC, Tweak makes the frankenstein shafts that are needed to accommodate the trans to the 6g celica.

Or you can go the easy route and buy an ST205 front clip and swap over the motor. The harness can be adapted to fit the ST2XX body harness (Tweak does this as well). Supershannon77 and Jim from 6gc.net have this swap done in both of their cars and Jim is making ~330hp on a basically stock 3rd gen 3S.

So your options are out there, the choice is yours.

_Jim_ is amazing when it comes to swaps, very helpful! If you're going to do the 3SGTE like you say, he would be the guy to talk to. Everything from the engine, LSD trans, you name it!

Let us know when you start the project! :D

Dmoney157
06-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks for all the input guys but i have been doing some research. And when I do go to do my work I am gunna just build my own turbo kit from scratch. Alot of the parts can be bought as 3s parts. And for the fuel system I am gunna use supra injectors and the fuel pump. from what i have seen the 5s can hold up to 20 psi of boost. I think it might be a little cheaper this way i can put more money else where.

MCcelica
06-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Awesome man. Keep us posted on what all you do, and how it works out for you. Writeups are also definitely a plus.

On a side note, where in Colorado are you? I might have some vacation time coming up, so as long as you're not WAY out in the boonies, I'd totally be down to help turn some wrenches.