PDA

View Full Version : what to look for with trac that been sitting for manny years

celica9303
05-14-2010, 12:14 AM
basicly what should i be weary of if i purchase an alltrac thats been sitting untouched for many years in a barn? will not make any decisions untill i hear back from owner and see car in person.

thngs to check/ change right away:
oil change
spark plugs/wires/cap n rotor?
trans fluid/ rear diff fluid?
brake fluid flush?
brake hardware ie pads rotors?
flush fuel add new
ps fluid
battery
hoses?? vaclines?
any other suggestions??

klapa
05-14-2010, 01:58 AM
basicly what should i be weary of if i purchase an alltrac thats been sitting untouched for many years in a barn? will not make any decisions untill i hear back from owner and see car in person.

thngs to check/ change right away:
oil change
spark plugs/wires/cap n rotor?
trans fluid/ rear diff fluid?
brake fluid flush?
brake hardware ie pads rotors?
flush fuel add new
ps fluid
battery
hoses?? vaclines?
any other suggestions??

Best thing to do is FORGET about it and tell me where it is!:)

Aside from that - not Alltrac specific but just "generic" - almost certainly if the thing has been sitting over say a year the hydraulics - brake and clutch - will be highly suspect.

Also - from experience - if the thing has been sitting for a REALLY long time you want to find a way to completely drain and flush the fuel tank before even trying to crank it - as the fuel will undoubted be fouled by much water condensation and to crank it would just foul the entire fuel system.

Luckily - no carburetor is involved so you don't need to worry whether or not they ran it dry before shutting it off the last time it ran.

Of course - the usual things like oil and also tire "dry rot" apply.

UtahSleeper
05-14-2010, 02:04 AM
If this is the one I am thinking, flush and replace all fluids as stated. Drain gas as stated.

Probably replace the fuel filter and timing belt....really, all belts.

Is this the one on at.net?

celica9303
05-14-2010, 03:04 AM
im not telling where it is located, simply due to the factr that i am already in negotions with the owner. but i would have to convince mywife to let me and unfortunatly sell me convertable, which i love dearly.

i totally for got about the clutch system. and i assumed brake fluid system. could i run into seized calipers or not? form what i was told by the owner it drove into it current location years ago. he did it him self so its not blown up, sound to me like it was stored because it was a tired old girl and needed a rest. tire dry rot also does not concern me because i would change the tires before it got back to being road worthy.

hopefully i can work out a time to go look it over, in person in the next week or so. if i were to purchase it, it would get a full rebuild/replace whats bad to get it back on the road(without openig the current engine)and drop tank and flush with new gas anf fill up to full. then later on think about a new motor and trans.

should i investagate the electronics systems of the car? animal nest? ect? trying to get an i dea of what i need to ask/ look for prior to buying if i decide to.

MarcP
05-14-2010, 03:20 AM
I've looked at buying a car that's been stored for years before . . .unfortunately it was under a deck behind his house. From my experience it all depends on where the car was stored. If it was in a covered area, away from snow, rain, moisture in general, you would A) be lucky, and B) would only have to worry about the fluids as mentioned before, possibly rusted/seized brakes.

If it wasn't properly stored, such as in the case I was looking at buying (but didn't), brakes and fluids aren't the only thing. Radiator was shot, most hoses inside the engine bay were cracked, intercooler was pretty rusty, brake lines were rusted through, electronics weren't working . . ie even with a new battery, cleaned grounds etc I got nothing from the car, no lights etc. Even the mechanic who I brought it to said that the majority of the blots that he looked at under the hood looked like they would break off by just looking at them.

So, I believe there is your best case and worse case scenario for things to look at. Hoep this helps, and hope the car is in good shape!

pinoyGT4
05-14-2010, 03:37 AM
IMHO, your true love about tracs will help you decide whether to revive the trac in any which state it is now.. :D

i too got my car sitting under a tree in a parking space beside my gf's house.. its been sitting for almost 2yrs, it has no battery.. the tires' side wall are cracking etc..
there are far worse problems i encountered in my day to day experience with it..

but i fell inlove with it the moment i first saw it.. i sold my corolla ae92 that was fully built already for it.. and im tellin you, its not an easy route.. but if you really love the trac, it'll be all worth it.. :D

klapa
05-14-2010, 03:44 AM
im not telling where it is located, simply due to the factr that i am already in negotions with the owner.

should i investagate the electronics systems of the car? animal nest? ect? trying to get an i dea of what i need to ask/ look for prior to buying if i decide to.

Just joking there - I'm in no position to get it anyway.

Sounds like a real good find!

I mentioned the gas because I made that mistake before - really anything that has any kind of fluid in it should be drained and changed before you try to run it - most especially the fuel system. I would think you should be able to pull the rear seat and fuel pump and siphon out the tank without actually dropping it.

Usually over (little) time of non use the hydraulic seals will leak and fail so I'd be prepared for that as well - if you could afford to tow the thing out of there that would be the best bet.

Funny you should mention "animal nests" as I remember very well one time long ago at a junk yard when I reached to unlatch a hood on a car and actually grabbed a wasp nest! I had a hand that looked like a balloon for a week. Still - maybe watch out for "dirt-dobber" nests in crevices and chambers like the air box, etc.

I wouldn't expect much bad things with the electronics if the car has been under cover - aside from the usual "ifey" connections in places everything should be as good as it was the day it was parked - semiconductors don't really "age".

I would not think you'd have problems with seized brakes on a car that has been stored indoors - especially one with four-wheel discs.

celica9303
05-14-2010, 03:54 AM
Just joking there - I'm in no position to get it anyway.

Sounds like a real good find!

I mentioned the gas because I made that mistake before - really anything that has any kind of fluid in it should be drained and changed before you try to run it - most especially the fuel system. I would think you should be able to pull the rear seat and fuel pump and siphon out the tank without actually dropping it.

Usually over (little) time of non use the hydraulic seals will leak and fail so I'd be prepared for that as well - if you could afford to tow the thing out of there that would be the best bet.

Funny you should mention "animal nests" as I remember very well one time long ago at a junk yard when I reached to unlatch a hood on a car and actually grabbed a wasp nest! I had a hand that looked like a balloon for a week. Still - maybe watch out for "dirt-dobber" nests in crevices and chambers like the air box, etc.

I wouldn't expect much bad things with the electronics if the car has been under cover - aside from the usual "ifey" connections in places everything should be as good as it was the day it was parked - semiconductors don't really "age".

I would not think you'd have problems with seized brakes on a car that has been stored indoors - especially one with four-wheel discs.

according to the owner its not a 'driver" that to me means ill have to tow it anyways and after it sitting for years idk if i trust driving it out of wher it is now and home for that matter, i can get a trailer and tow it with my 89
4runner or mydad just purched a tacoma that has a hitch, thought about possble tow dolly but i forgot you cant dolly these vehicles due to the 4wd.

EVER SINCE I GOT MY CELICA GT VERT IVE ALWAYS WANTED AN ALLTRAC. AND TO ME PUTTING MONEY IN TO A MORE RARE AUTOMOBLIE IS BETTER AND MORE JUSTIFYED THAN SWAPING MY VERT, as cool as it would be to have boost with the top down, and this is the only one i have found in my area ever......and am kinda a fraid that if i dont do it (depending on if i can sell mine) i wont have another chance uness i want to fly cross country and get one that beenn modded already

pinoyGT4
05-14-2010, 04:11 AM
just tow it with a tow bar or something.. :D

i got towed once but with all 4 wheels on the ground haha!

go get it already!! post some pics while youre at it.. :P

klapa
05-14-2010, 04:13 AM
EVER SINCE I GOT MY CELICA GT VERT IVE ALWAYS WANTED AN ALLTRAC. AND TO ME PUTTING MONEY IN TO A MORE RARE AUTOMOBLIE IS BETTER AND MORE JUSTIFYED THAN SWAPING MY VERT

I know exactly what you mean - ever since I got my 5th gen GT I've had that latent "lust" for more power - more "exotic" Celicas.

Yet - I love my car - and I don't want to "swap" it and make it something it is not - because I love it for what it is - I will just improve it by taking care of it.

I'll just wait and save my pennies and maybe one day find "my car in a barn" as a good project car to modify.

Good luck!

celica9303
05-14-2010, 04:18 AM
lol i so wish i could but i have to convince the wife to let me buy it and sell my convertiable(in order to buy it, and have money to fix it) im wait till i see it in person to make myfinal decision on which route to go.. it also has a rusted out framerail so that kinda bugs me but maybe its only "looks that bad"

I know exactly what you mean - ever since I got my 5th gen GT I've had that latent "lust" for more power - more "exotic" Celicas.

Yet - I love my car - and I don't want to "swap" it and make it something it is not - because I love it for what it is - I will just improve it by taking care of it.

I'll just wait and save my pennies and maybe one day find "my car in a barn" as a good project car to modify.

Good luck!

im the same way with my gt, i thought id never even consider selling/parting with it to a new owner. lol i had the "lust" for more power since i wrecked my swaped turbo civic. but i think im considering it due to the fact i have chance to save the "ultimate" 5th gen celica. that in its self would satify me.

klapa
05-14-2010, 04:32 AM
im the same way with my gt, i thought id never even consider selling/parting with it to a new owner. lol i had the "lust" for more power since i wrecked my swaped turbo civic. but i think im considering it due to the fact i have chance to save the "ultimate" 5th gen celica. that in its self would satify me.

Well, that's a worthy goal - I myself am pretty much "stuck" on the 5th gens - as these bodies are by far (in my "unregarded opinion") the most beautiful of nearly any car within realistic price range from nearly any time.

So - you are selling your vert? It's a 5th gen? 5-Speed? Is it parked in a barn?

Just checking . . . .

celica9303
05-14-2010, 04:35 AM
lol

wow this got way off topic......hehehe but depending on the trac in real life and the condition yes i wolud most likley put my 93 vert up for sale and it is a 5 speed and no itsnot in a BARN its in my garage at the moment

klapa
05-14-2010, 04:57 AM
lol

wow this got way off topic......hehehe but depending on the trac in real life and the condition yes i wolud most likley put my 93 vert up for sale and it is a 5 speed and no itsnot in a BARN its in my garage at the moment

Keep me posted on the vert - as I would love a 5-speed 5th gen ... and again - good luck on the Alltrac - if the body and basic mechanicals are good - that is a real find worth the effort to bring it back to fire-breathing life.

celica9303
05-14-2010, 05:39 AM
i will keep you in mind.
if you want check out my project thread about my car.

if there was any previous overheating damage would it show up on the head where it meets the block? i will also look for signs of driver abuse and or neglect(even thought it will be hard without being able to drive it)

The Captain
05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
The worst thing for sitting cars is fluids. Anything with fluid in it needs to be flushed or changed. Including the battery. Anything flexible will need to be checked. Mice love air boxes and duct work.

I agree that it makes more sense to spend money on a more worthy platform. Although I went the opposite route you did! So far I'm digging the vert, but it needs more power!

Good luck!

vip09
05-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Save my alltrac instead! ;)

celica9303
05-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I would love to VIP but its too far away. And out of my budget, my wife doesn't want me to sell my vert so depending what the teac in person I'm going to sell my truck and then try and find the rest of the money. My truck won't sell for anywhere close to what I need. Only half I hope

UtahSleeper
05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
I take it you cant get a personnel loan (sig) from your bank?

celica9303
05-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Didn't think of that but proably not. My credit sucks hard core. And I'm being garnished so I assume no. Plus I don't have enough room to keep 3 cars and my wifes so if it comes down to it the 4runner gots to go

klapa
05-14-2010, 10:31 PM
VIP - that chassis is still available?

I thought it would have been gone by now - I need to go dig up that thread now that I see JDM engines are not exactly "out of reach" for me..

vip09
05-15-2010, 04:58 AM
I would love to VIP but its too far away. And out of my budget, my wife doesn't want me to sell my vert so depending what the teac in person I'm going to sell my truck and then try and find the rest of the money. My truck won't sell for anywhere close to what I need. Only half I hope

I looked at the pics of the car. And the bottom of the car looks exactly like mine did when I first got it. You would have a ton of work ahead of you. The body looks pretty good, but you will be replacing pretty much everything under that car.

celica9303
05-15-2010, 05:33 AM
But is it worth it? Either way this wouldn't be a fast get her on the road thing. It would be a long term restore. Anything you recommend to look at when I go see it?

v8killer
05-15-2010, 05:43 AM
i would for sure worry about dry rot/ shop rot maybe see if someone will let you borrow a borescope to look in the cylinders to the cylinder walls make sure there is no rust in there if so take the time to take it appart and either bore it over and get forged pistons that accord to the diameter you go or better still have it sleeved. sorry just paranoid but for an alltrac its all worth it!!!!

vip09
05-15-2010, 05:43 AM
You will need to get the car jacked up so you can slide under. Look at the fuel lines and brake lines for rust.. especially near the rear subframe and fuel tank area. The top of the fuel tank will probably be rusted really bad. The fuel fill neck will probably be rusted. Look at the floorpan rails.. I could tell they were rusted out by the pics. Look at rust on the rear subframe, it's probably pretty bad. Also look for rust on the front swaybar mounts.

celica9303
05-17-2010, 03:41 AM
from the pics its on jack stands....im up to the challenge of restoring it. hes being a total douche about it now that some others are intersted and edited the forsale post 3 times and raised the price car only bluebooks at roughly 800 dollars in the condition it is anyways( i do realize this is just a blue book value and that it doesnt really take into consideration what the car actually is, it go by number(milage), condition,and options only) so im gonna go look at it anyways and bring a tow truck(flatbed) with me and offer him bluebook, maybe a litte more for it and see what he says but im preety sure he thinks he has a gem and you can find another one......

RIalltrac
05-17-2010, 02:02 PM
One thing to mention that I havent seen in this thread is to inspect the mounting points for the front sway bar on the body....those have a habit of rotting out on alltracs and are very important and very hard to repair/replace.

pinoyGT4
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
do you have the pics already?
can you share it with us so maybe we can help point out things that you might not notice yet? :D

Fox 21 Alpha
05-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Ditto on the mice in the airbox, I lifted up my filter while we were trying to get my trac started at the buyers house and pulled out a wad of nesting. Never thought to take out the filter when checking the airbox....

I'd also check the brake and fuel lines, all mine were rusted to shit and it was a pain in the ass to replace, not horrible, but just aggravating when your already to take it for a test drive and something else breaks....

Check for oil in the coolant too, I think that would show up as white spots in the rad? Or maybe I got that backwards, coolant in the oil will show up as white spots, I dont remember but sure someone here does.

Might be a good idea to check the turbo play too, if you undo that clip closest to the turbo intake and stick your fingers in and give the turbine a shake. If you never delt with them can be hard to know whats normal and not, but if its shaking all around and stuff you'll know you need a new one, and also check for oil at the intake side and between the turbo and intercooler, that can be blown seals. Think you said you had a turboed car so you should have some ideas about that stuff.

Rust.....

I don't think anything above (except for rust) can be a real deal breaker, its just more work to get on the road. Brakes, tires, turbos, fuel lines, hoses, all that stuff can be replaced; it takes forever and its a major pita, but as far as turning down a chance to own a AT, as long as your up to the work and have no rush to get it on the road, its not bad. Rust is a different story, living in OH you have your own fair share for that side of things lol.

But things you do find wrong that seller doesn't know about = cheaper buying price yes?

celica9303
05-17-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38022
said trac, i guess ill ley everyone know now, because the seller isnt gettnig back to me anyways about coming to look at it, so idk ill keep trying i guess, i dont think honestly its worth his (new)price.

pinoyGT4
05-18-2010, 03:26 AM
hmm.. the body looks pretty fresh..

but the floor looks like it would come off! :D

IMHO, its not as bad as i thought it was.. i dunno.. it doesnt look like a barn either.. :P

celica9303
05-18-2010, 03:50 AM
its a pole barn.....not a horse barn lol..still cant get a hold off the seller..this sucks im ready to get an alltrac already!!!!!even if it wont drive right away.

pinoyGT4
05-18-2010, 04:21 AM
its a pole barn.....not a horse barn lol..still cant get a hold off the seller..this sucks im ready to get an alltrac already!!!!!even if it wont drive right away.

a pole barn? they raise poles there? are there any pole dancers too?

anyway, if you know where it is exactly, then surprise visit or ambush the seller.. hahaha! :hippy:

bloodMoney
05-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Vip said it the best.... The most common problem with buying an alltrac that has been sitting for a long time is the rust issue. I didn't know about this before I bought my Ellie and now I have to replace almost everything from the middle of the doors down.

I would keep looking for another one that is in better condition underneath the car, especially if its going to be your daily.

alltrac purchase rule #1: LOOK UNDER THE CAR FOR RUST. Fluids can be changed easily enough....

celica9303
05-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Vip said it the best.... The most common problem with buying an alltrac that has been sitting for a long time is the rust issue. I didn't know about this before I bought my Ellie and now I have to replace almost everything from the middle of the doors down.

I would keep looking for another one that is in better condition underneath the car, especially if its going to be your daily.

alltrac purchase rule #1: LOOK UNDER THE CAR FOR RUST. Fluids can be changed easily enough....

i have no intentions for a alltrac for a daily driver(unless its nice out maybe) idk hbes hasnt gotten back to me about coming to see it and i called and the phone jsut rang and rang .....so idk about this one

on another note i always look under the car first(most sellers look at me funny for it)

pinoyGT4
05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
well, i dont wanna sound like a dick dude..

but if this trac aint for you, it aint for you.. :)

there could be another one, the right one, for you that's in waaaaaaaay better shape and lesser headaches.. :D

give it a deadline.. call or text the seller like 2 more times in lets say two days.. if no reply or if he doesnt answer or call back, then move on.. :D

ill sell you mine but im on the other side of the globe.. :P

celica9303
05-18-2010, 06:45 PM
well, i dont wanna sound like a dick dude..

but if this trac aint for you, it aint for you.. :)

there could be another one, the right one, for you that's in waaaaaaaay better shape and lesser headaches.. :D

give it a deadline.. call or text the seller like 2 more times in lets say two days.. if no reply or if he doesnt answer or call back, then move on.. :D

ill sell you mine but im on the other side of the globe.. :P

LOL i wouldnt let you sell me yours(thought I do want a red one). Well according to him he has no missed calls, and has an offer on the table to buy it for way more than hes asking. " i have an offer from another member for almost $2300, if i take all his money.So unless you can do better this car is not for you." and:" a carfax on a 19 years old car is irrevelent, because i decribed th car to you in the best detail, so knowing that it need a full ebuild theres no reson for a carfax>"

REALLY? Im not paying over 2k for an alltrac thats only worth 700 and cant be driving home....i told him fine go ahead and screw the other buyer and take all of his money.

So the search continues........I will continue on with my convertiable project untill I find one....an then ill still keep it

pinoyGT4
05-19-2010, 04:13 AM
LOL i wouldnt let you sell me yours(thought I do want a red one). Well according to him he has no missed calls, and has an offer on the table to buy it for way more than hes asking. " i have an offer from another member for almost $2300, if i take all his money.So unless you can do better this car is not for you." and:" a carfax on a 19 years old car is irrevelent, because i decribed th car to you in the best detail, so knowing that it need a full ebuild theres no reson for a carfax>"

REALLY? Im not paying over 2k for an alltrac thats only worth 700 and cant be driving home....i told him fine go ahead and screw the other buyer and take all of his money.

So the search continues........I will continue on with my convertiable project untill I find one....an then ill still keep it

good decision dude.. :biggthumpup:

anyway, i love my trac but i feel i cant really release the dragon inside it.. parts are hard here plus there's only 2 of us here who has a 185 trac.. :thumbsdown:

so anyway, how bout this for a vert project? :hi:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/inzekure99/Bong019.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/inzekure99/Bong035.jpg
got it from at.net some time ago.. :rtfm:

celica9303
05-19-2010, 05:50 AM
good decision dude.. :biggthumpup:

anyway, i love my trac but i feel i cant really release the dragon inside it.. parts are hard here plus there's only 2 of us here who has a 185 trac.. :thumbsdown:

so anyway, how bout this for a vert project? :hi:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/inzekure99/Bong019.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/inzekure99/Bong035.jpg
got it from at.net some time ago.. :rtfm:

LMAO! that is one of my good friends old cars.. it was an awesome car, its actually the car that got my addicted to boost(2nd gen swap) i actually have some of the parts from that car on mine. He sold it a while back and replaced it with an s2000 and recently sold that for a BMW 335i twin turbo. all upgrades from the celica i guess(according to him anyway) i have no clue where it is now but i thing it went to southern oh. i really wish he would have sold me the front lip (i bugged him constantly for it when he was in the process of selling it) but he sold it to some oneelse and didnt tell me. sweet car and a very good example of a vert

Shadowlife25
05-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Yep, that was Bong's 'vert.

pinoyGT4
05-19-2010, 06:22 AM
LMAO! that is one of my good friends old cars.. it was an awesome car, its actually the car that got my addicted to boost(2nd gen swap) i actually have some of the parts from that car on mine. He sold it a while back and replaced it with an s2000 and recently sold that for a BMW 335i twin turbo. all upgrades from the celica i guess(according to him anyway) i have no clue where it is now but i thing it went to southern oh. i really wish he would have sold me the front lip (i bugged him constantly for it when he was in the process of selling it) but he sold it to some oneelse and didnt tell me. sweet car and a very good example of a vert

yeah.. that pic actually caught my attention because of its paint.. hahahaha!

and the fact that its a vert came in 2nd.. :haha:

so what do you think? boost your vert?:biggthumpup:

celica9303
05-19-2010, 06:27 AM
thats the plan from the beginning, but id still rather have an alltrac(both would be great) im going gen 3 or 4 with my vert when i get the money

pinoyGT4
05-19-2010, 08:51 AM
thats the plan from the beginning, but id still rather have an alltrac(both would be great) im going gen 3 or 4 with my vert when i get the money

or a gen 3 or 4 with ITB.. :biggthumpup:

Murgatroy
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
What kind of a sicko paints a Celica matte black...

Hookecho
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
What kind of a TN REDNECK paints a Celica matte black...

:haha:

pinoyGT4
05-19-2010, 04:37 PM
What kind of a sicko paints a Celica matte black...

i was about to go that route...:ohsnap: