PDA

View Full Version : Sherical bearing replacement tried?

The Captain
05-13-2010, 04:21 AM
I'm curious if anyone had ever tried to replace the spherical bearing on a non-alltrac celica's rear control arms.

If Toyota put them in, their has to be a way to replace them. I may have to go to the boneyard and pull some out to see what I can find.

Galcobar
05-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Well, people have figured out how to do it -- it's just that between the cost of the bearing itself and the cost (presuming you don't have a machine capable of it yourself) to have it pressed in there's little reason not to buy a replacement suspension arm.

The Captain
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Well, people have figured out how to do it -- it's just that between the cost of the bearing itself and the cost (presuming you don't have a machine capable of it yourself) to have it pressed in there's little reason not to buy a replacement suspension arm.
I haven't priced the bearings yet. But at over $500 to replace all the arms I thought it might be a worthwhile experiment.

ChrisD
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
^^even moreso for the ST205. All the arms are about $1500...I'm going to give replacing all the bearings/bushings a go. Pressing it in shouldn't be the problem, just gotta find the right bush.

Galcobar
05-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I understand with the 185/205 the arms actually have rubber bushings on both ends -- at that point replacement's much easier.

I'm not sure if it's just 1sttoyotapart.com's new -- and wildly inaccurate -- parts system, but those arms were under $90 each when I last priced them. They seem to be more now, but I think they're priced at $116 each. It's hard to be certain, since the parts system doesn't use the names Toyota does for its parts, and can't seem to separate out different models.

Actually, I think the suspension arms (1sttoyota identifies them as lateral links) are cheaper for GT4 Celicas, at $102 or $95.

Trance4c
06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
That is incorrect, the 18X/20X rear lateral arms do not have rubber bushings. They are spherical bearings.

I'd read through this thread, we had a good details conversation about this and possible replacements which were never determined:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668

ChrisD
06-17-2010, 06:04 PM
This is still high on my list. My 205 suspension needs overhauling. And for $3k for everything, I'm looking to find some new ways. You absolutely can replace them, no reason why not. Just need the spherical bearings to the right spec.

Trance4c
06-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Just need the spherical bearings to the right spec.

Thats the catch, so far no one has been able to find them. If they could be found and the information was readily available, it would be a huge difference for people.

bloodMoney
06-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Can someone post up the dimensions of the spherical bearings needed? I want to try looking for potential substitutes.