PDA

View Full Version : 7m swap..

Treskilyon09
05-12-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to swap out my stock 5sfe with a supra 7m my cousins selling me the entire engine plus a 5 speed transmission along with a t3/t4 turbo kit.. For 1500k is this worth it?? Or is the swapping going to run me too much..??

celica91gts
05-12-2010, 05:32 AM
no, being able to swap that into a celica is a lot of work. it will be easier if you have an all trac though. i wouldnt do it. spend 1500 on a 3rd gen 3sgte, a lot easier to swap in if you just wanna go fast.

Grot
05-12-2010, 06:19 AM
^^Troof

joe's gt
05-12-2010, 07:20 AM
no, being able to swap that into a celica is a lot of work. it will be easier if you have an all trac though. i wouldnt do it. spend 1500 on a 3rd gen 3sgte, a lot easier to swap in if you just wanna go fast.

^^ this

Treskilyon09
05-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Word

Night_Wolf
05-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Just get a supra shell

Treskilyon09
05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Hmmm that's a thought.. Right now my local junkyard has a mark3 shell I think..

pinoyGT4
05-12-2010, 05:06 PM
pre, go get the mk3 shell then! =p
but still keep the celica tho.. hihi!

Treskilyon09
05-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Mahal ko celica ko kahit bagong bili Lang lol.. I'm definitely going to keep my celica lol that 5sfe gives gooooooood gas mileage lol I'll run it till it gives on me lol then prolly swap it then when it does give up..

Night_Wolf
05-12-2010, 05:19 PM
pre, go get the mk3 shell then! =p
but still keep the celica tho.. hihi!

I agree get that shell and swap it ovahhh!

Treskilyon09
05-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Haha I'll get the shell if that means that some supra féin hasn't beat me to it lol

T-spoon
05-12-2010, 06:29 PM
He's selling you the 7M because sooner or later it's going to cause grief and he's probably putting a better motor in. He's not doing you a favor, he must secretly hate you! :hehe:

Treskilyon09
05-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I heard he was dropping a 2jz in lol yah ur right he is dropping a better motor or at least that's the case

Tara
05-12-2010, 11:21 PM
7m is a great motor - check out Funkycheeze's mkii Supra. Done right, you can get a shit-ton of power out of it. Most people just don't deal with things like properly torquing down the head, and end up with BHG as a result.

However, it's a lot of work to swap into a Celica. Like, a LOT.

Treskilyon09
05-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Yea I don't think I wanna swap it in a celica it is too much but is ther anyone int the forum that has swapped a 7m in???

85gtsblackman
05-13-2010, 01:35 AM
or you could swap the 7m into the following..

82-85 celica
82-86 supra
77-01 toyota truck
84-92 cressida
dunno if id fit a corona

T-spoon
05-13-2010, 02:56 AM
7m is a great motor - check out Funkycheeze's mkii Supra. Done right, you can get a shit-ton of power out of it. Most people just don't deal with things like properly torquing down the head, and end up with BHG as a result.

Heh, I'm familiar with the 7M. I wouldn't recommend it to most people. I don't care what you do to it, the jz series is a better platform. That's not a knock against the 7M, it's just fact. I don't even necessarily dislike the 7M(loved how mine sounded and it did make decent power) but good grief, if you're going through all the trouble to swap and build a project car, it's an odd engine choice when you can get low mileage, newer jz motors to use. The 1jz and 2jz are more refined, more powerful, and more reliable, period.

Tara
05-13-2010, 03:06 AM
Mmm, but the jz isn't as torquy. They do rev higher though. You do have to know your shit to want to build a 7m.

T-spoon
05-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Mmm, but the jz isn't as torquy. They do rev higher though. You do have to know your shit to want to build a 7m.

Heh, yeah, the stereotypical dyno-queen MKIVs just wish they had more torque to spin those tires, rotfl. :hehe:

celica91gts
05-13-2010, 05:12 AM

it's not people's fault. they came under torqued from the factory. its a common issue. nothing arp head studs can't fix. i agree. get that supra shell!

85gtsblackman
05-13-2010, 06:06 AM
a 7m in a celica-supra would be better

if i ever do get one that would be my budget engine swap

pinoyGT4
05-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Mahal ko celica ko kahit bagong bili Lang lol.. I'm definitely going to keep my celica lol that 5sfe gives gooooooood gas mileage lol I'll run it till it gives on me lol then prolly swap it then when it does give up..

bwahahaha!!
ako din mahal ko celica ko kahit pumutok na 3sgte ko..:hippy:
go get the supra! :eek4dance:

Treskilyon09
05-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Bahaha damn I started a debate lol but really the 7m has more torque lol but my cousin just wanna go 2jz idk y his 7m was pushing alot... N to pinoygt4 pare sayang rebuild mo nlang ang 3sgte mo malakas na motor din yan kc

You kno what tho when the 7m supra came out the issue of blown gasket was widespread... And people did not know it was due to the torque specs of the head so yea it's not peoples fault they didn't know... But shit Toyota never issued a recall then lol

Damn mark3 from the junkyard is gone...

T-spoon
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Bahaha damn I started a debate lol but really the 7m has more torque lol but my cousin just wanna go 2jz idk y his 7m was pushing alot... N to pinoygt4 pare sayang rebuild mo nlang ang 3sgte mo malakas na motor din yan kc

You kno what tho when the 7m supra came out the issue of blown gasket was widespread... And people did not know it was due to the torque specs of the head so yea it's not peoples fault they didn't know... But shit Toyota never issued a recall then lol

Damn mark3 from the junkyard is gone...

The headgasket isn't the only issue. They have cooling issues, oil pressure/circulation to the head is really not the best and just various other little things that CAN make them a PITA to maintain. I think of the 7M as a "good start" for Toyota and after some time and development they got it really right for the 2j.

pinoyGT4
05-13-2010, 03:53 PM
@tris: yeah i rebuilt my 3sgte already.. :D

RE 7m: hmm.. maybe if you're really that adventurous, you'd still go building the 7m.. hehe!
or if you're half adventurous, you'd go with the JZs.. :P

Treskilyon09
05-13-2010, 05:50 PM
It's a hard build to go 7m but hey it is one torqy bastard my cousin always ran his 7m rich... And then he had a bhg.. WTF? bahahaha oh btw pinoygt4 damn bilis nmn nang rebuild mo wow astig pare haha

The headgasket isn't the only issue. They have cooling issues, oil pressure/circulation to the head is really not the best and just various other little things that CAN make them a PITA to maintain. I think of the 7M as a "good start" for Toyota and after some time and development they got it really right for the 2j.

True I suppose the 2jz is the corrected versions

pinoyGT4
05-14-2010, 03:22 AM
It's a hard build to go 7m but hey it is one torqy bastard my cousin always ran his 7m rich... And then he had a bhg.. WTF? bahahaha oh btw pinoygt4 damn bilis nmn nang rebuild mo wow astig pare haha

True I suppose the 2jz is the corrected versions

actually bro, its already almost 3 months now since i blew my HG.. and it took a month.. the head slept 3 weeks in the machine shop, and another week to wait for the TRD parts to be shipped here in PI.. :nopity:

andy
05-14-2010, 06:44 AM
overnight parts from japan?