PDA

View Full Version : Camber question..

celica race car
05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know how to get serious camber in the right front? I am using the camber bolts and it's not even close to what I need. Some pics would be great!

Murgatroy
05-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Adjustable camber plate (strut mount) the camber bolt is to correct excessive negative camber after lowering the car, not to create it.

celica race car
05-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Do these install under the engine bay (hidden)? From the pics I've seen looks like they would have to.

Murgatroy
05-10-2010, 05:59 AM
They replace your factory strut mounts. They are normally called 'pillow ball' uppers.

With the hood down, the tech would not see it. Once they pop the hood you will be busted though, they are very obvious as they will be visible on your strut towers.

I will see if I can find a picture of mine (installed on my aftermarket coilovers) as they will give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

celica91gts
05-10-2010, 06:34 AM
i have a peekchur! not mine, googled

http://www.negative-camber.org/crispyrx7/fc/cusco1.jpg

Murgatroy
05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
That is what you want.

celica race car
05-12-2010, 12:44 AM
I think I will have to try something different... Maybe drilling new holes. Anyone tried this or seen it done?

METDeath
05-12-2010, 01:23 AM
K-sport makes some that work with some modification on regular struts, I think KoreanJoey runs them with his Ground Control/Koni set up.

KoreanJoey
05-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Ok, first off, Murg it's camber plates, not pillow ball. Pillow ball is just relating the to sort of bearing used in the mount, has NOTHING to do with camber adjustment. IE: most rear "pillowball" mounts, are not adjustable.

Yes I use the K-Sport camber plates and I was running -2.5* of camber on the front with the ground-controls and the Konis. How much camber where you aiming for?

celica race car
05-12-2010, 05:35 AM
The more the better. If I could get it to be just on the edge of the tread that would be awesome. The only reason I can't use the camber plates is it will be noticed. We are suppost to only make adjustments with the stock susp. but everyone else has the bolt holes sloted on the strut where the hub connects but on mine there isnt enough room to slot it. I was thinking if I redrill the strut tower holes, a little bondo and paint will do the trick. All they do is pop the hood and make sure we are using the stock air breather and check tire size.

Murgatroy
05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, first off, Murg it's camber plates, not pillow ball. Pillow ball is just relating the to sort of bearing used in the mount, has NOTHING to do with camber adjustment. IE: most rear "pillowball" mounts, are not adjustable.

Yes I use the K-Sport camber plates and I was running -2.5* of camber on the front with the ground-controls and the Konis. How much camber where you aiming for?

I am aware they are not called pillow ball. Read my first post. I was helping him search though, as most places refer to them as pillow ball uppers.

METDeath
05-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Have you tried changing which hole your camber bolt is in? It could get you the camber you're looking for.

celica race car
05-14-2010, 04:03 AM
I think the max that i can get with the camber bolts is +2 to -2.. No where near what I need for circle track..

METDeath
05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
could try using two bolts and adjust them so the eccentric cams on each bolt point in opposite directions... granted, they could then break...

celica race car
05-14-2010, 05:17 PM
That could work for my left side but I will need more than that on the rt. What's your opinion of making new holes for the tower?

KoreanJoey
05-17-2010, 01:20 AM
How about you not cheat?

celica race car
05-17-2010, 03:35 AM
How about you not cheat?
We are allowed to add camber to the rt front using stock susp. parts for the make and model of the car. So it wouldn't be cheating exactly, kind of a grey area. But the good news is without adding more camber yesterday and just making some other changes I finished 2nd and the tire was rolling over perfect.

KoreanJoey
05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
How much camber are you running?

celica race car
05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
1 1/4 degrees

KoreanJoey
05-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Yeah... that really isn't much for a mcstrut suspension...

bronson697
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
How has your Celica Racecar been doing lately ??
I'm new here, so I can't see any pic's of it ...

celica91gts
06-10-2010, 06:31 AM
nah man, its not because you're new here that you don't get to partake in the pleasure of viewing colorful images, its because there are no pictures posted in this thread. lol

bronson697
06-12-2010, 09:17 AM
I was thinking of getting a Celica for our local pavement track. I know a deal on one. Most of the strong runners are Acura's. How do you's think the 91 Celica 2.2 5spd would compare with them , as far as handling and power to weight ratio ??

jsooke
06-13-2010, 05:39 AM
I will be campaigning a 92 GT coupe starting this week on a short track, stock class. Most guys favour the Integra. Was able to get some private track time a vew weeks ago with some buddies, both with new cars this year, one a gen 1 Integra and the other a 94. I had no problem keeping up, or being faster, in a gentleman type racing (no risks). Last year I spent a few nights in a CRX and one night in an Auto 1st gen integra. I would say at least as good handling, good brakes, and good power.

The Celica should have better low end grunt, which might be nicer. Also, as a coupe, it has a lot more structure across the rear as opposed the Integra hatches (the hatch structure is usually removed when racing). Also, in our racing that is very close on a very small oval, there is a reasonable amount of bumping: the Celica has a lot of room from the bumper to the radiator and is probably a bit beefier than the Integra's. And, with the head lights out, there is a fair amount of air flow to the radiator.

I feel good about the Celica where I race. It will be the first, and as far as I know, only 5th gen Celica racing at this track.

First practice is June 16 and first race is June 23. Will keep you informed.

Jay

KoreanJoey
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
The integra is probably better. It's got a more sophisticated suspension setup with better geometry. The gen 1 is probably iffy on the suspension but the gen 2 and up are better in most regards. As to bumping. The celica is pretty stoutly put together, that one I'd put in your favor.

celica race car
06-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Any car including an Integra with an a-arm susp. is better for the track. It's easier to setup. Any part you could want is avail. for the honda/acura. From personal exp. the bumpers on the honda/acura don't hold a candle to the Celica.

Celicadirtracer
06-20-2010, 03:58 AM
We race dirt in at Eastbay in Tampa and have had great durability with our fifth gen, my son is 15 and was 12 in points till we missed two races now 19 out of 30 to 40 cars racing each week

Celicadirtracer
07-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Looking at making the bottom strut bolt hole oblong or larger then adding washers to both sides of the strut with the camber set at 3* then welding washer in place locking camber in at desired angle, or weld tabs to strut and use offset washer from rear arm to rotate and set camber that way any suggestions or comments appreciated.