PDA

View Full Version : Brakelight issues.

Grot
05-08-2010, 03:58 AM
So on my TRUCK the brakelights dont work when i step on the pedal.

They DO work when i turn the parking lights or headlights on.

I just replaced the Stop light switch at the pedal and still dont work.

Any ideas?

Up need some ideas. Gotta fix it by morning

Galcobar
05-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Dual-filament bulbs?

T-spoon
05-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Are you sure the stop light switch is actually being activated properly? There's usually a little rubber shim/pad/foot on where the switch is supposed to contact the brake pedal. Did you check that when you replaced the switch? The only odd thing about that though is if that were the issue I'd think the brake lights would always be on, whether or not the other lights were, so I dunno.. Are you sure the brake lights come on when the other lights are? Checked the fuse?

93celicaconv
05-08-2010, 09:24 PM
On a Ford Taurus I once was helping a friend out with, same problem. Pulled the wiring harness off the switch, wiring harness looked good. Put a continuity meter on the switch, that checked out. Hmmm.

Put the continuity meter on the wiring harness, it was open. Hmmm.

Turned the switch to ON, jumped the connector, still no brake lights (fuse, by the way, was good). Put a 12VDC test light on the connector, no power coming to it. Checked to make sure which wire in the harness was supposed to be hot, poked that wire just behind the harness, got power.

The wire inside the insulator, right where it attached to the connector, had broken, but the insulator for this wire look just as good as the day it was installed.

Cut the wire at the connector, stripped the wire back a little, shoved it in the connector, soldered it in place, and all was good to go again.