PDA

View Full Version : Running without an exhaust

4thgenceli
05-06-2010, 04:02 AM
So when all is said and done, I'm debating on not installing the exhaust right away (and by installing I mean taking to a shop and having it made & installed).

Anyway, what harm could I have if I just run the engine long enough to do the fluid fills (power steering, coolant, etc) and bleed the systems? I'm talking maybe 30minutes to an hour tops. No high pressure rev limiter bouncing, just strictly idling and the occasional blip to bleed all the fluid systems.

klapa
05-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Only car I ever "built from scratch" - I ran with "open headers" for the first couple of months.

I had to re-tune everything after adding the rest of the exhaust system with the added back pressure and resulting loss of flow.

Of course - I did not have to deal with any "computers" - only with carburetor jets and spark plugs . . .

Tecker184
05-06-2010, 04:38 AM
i ran my car with no exhaust it wasn't that loud. It would be no different than someone running a cut out at the DP. Do it up you can prolly drive it to the shop like that like i said it wasn't that loud.

geebes
05-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Should be fine...just make sure nothing is going to catch fire from the heat...my GOD THE HEAT!

Blackcloud
05-06-2010, 05:38 AM
valve warping!!

just no hot-rodding and you should be fine.

Murgatroy
05-06-2010, 05:41 AM
valve warping!!

just no hot-rodding and you should be fine.

That is the biggest thing you have to worry about.

If you are just running it to make sure it runs, that is different.

How much of an exhaust are you going to run? Open turbo?

Knowing nothing about turbos, I am not sure about it.

I do know that when running open headers on a nice cold day, all it takes is one backfire to warp the valves or pop the head. Been there, done that.

4thgenceli
05-06-2010, 05:54 AM
That is the biggest thing you have to worry about.

If you are just running it to make sure it runs, that is different.

How much of an exhaust are you going to run? Open turbo?

Knowing nothing about turbos, I am not sure about it.

I do know that when running open headers on a nice cold day, all it takes is one backfire to warp the valves or pop the head. Been there, done that.
I'm not too familar with turbos yet either to be the judge of that.

It will be from the exhaust manifold/turbo manifold, through the cat, then through the front exhaust pipe. From guessing, I say it's about halfway complete (exhaust wise).

I'm strictly looking just to fire the engine, verify timing, and bleed all systems (brake, clutch, coolant, power steering), and ensure no leaks (liquid or air)

Murgatroy
05-06-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm not too familar with turbos yet either to be the judge of that.

It will be from the exhaust manifold/turbo manifold, through the cat, then through the front exhaust pipe. From guessing, I say it's about halfway complete (exhaust wise).

I'm strictly looking just to fire the engine, verify timing, and bleed all systems (brake, clutch, coolant, power steering), and ensure no leaks (liquid or air)

In that case you will be fine. ~3' of exhaust will be more than adequate to get you where you need to go and a new exhaust run.

4thgenceli
05-06-2010, 06:05 AM
In that case you will be fine. ~3' of exhaust will be more than adequate to get you where you need to go and a new exhaust run.
Well I don't know what exhaust shop I'm going to yet, but the closest one is well over 45 minutes away. I'm planning on towing it to whatever shop I choose.

Looks like I'm good though just for first startup.

ChrisD
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
You'll be fine. As long as you have the downpipe in, so that the gases get kicked under the car there won't be risk of fire. Totally fine.

Night_Wolf
05-06-2010, 09:38 PM
I started mine up and timed it and everything you're looking to do with just the DP. Now, I have the DP to the stock midpipe on a GT-Four till I can get a 3'' ran. But it runs fine.

acidice333
05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah man you'll be fine.
I've been running my swap with just a 3" downpipe and a foot of the old 2.5" pipe cut just to help direct the flow away until I can do more.

T-spoon
05-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Not loud? Had an MR2 with just a downpipe that was pretty loud, not sure what the definition of loud is :) . I did run my supra once in a garage open completely, without the turbo even (don't recall why, some kind of troubleshooting or something) and was practically deaf for a couple minutes.

mar_phi6
05-07-2010, 01:02 AM
which exhaust shop are you planning on taking it too?

4thgenceli
05-07-2010, 01:08 AM
which exhaust shop are you planning on taking it too?
I don't know yet. I'm still looking for one. The one I was gonna use is in North phoenix...

Mafix
05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
yes in a turbo car you don't need much after the turbo and you'll be just fine.