PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen paint prep?

KM
05-04-2010, 04:26 AM
What's the best way to strip down a 5th gen to repaint?
I'm going to be removing the bumpers, fenders, interior, trunk, etc... but what should I do for the moulding? How easy is it to remove and reinstall, or would I have to replace it?

I have everything ready except the paint because I haven't decided on the color I want.

But I plan on fixing every little dent and ding when I replace the front bumper with CS stuff.

joe's gt
05-04-2010, 05:30 AM
When I repainted my celi, the paint wasn't in bad condition so I was able to do 120-320-600 grit and that worked out well. You typically don't have to strip to the metal even if the paint is in poor condition. An orbital sander will do wonders and will save you tons of time. Just tape off the molding, or replace any that you think needs it. You don't have to take it off to paint.

Shadowlife25
05-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Ask Mike, he painted his AllTrac just recently.

KM
05-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Right now my paint is white. Neither Super White nor Super White 2 match.
Maybe it's the age of the paint.

But I want to go darker, maybe gun metal grey with metallic blue then clear.

The Captain
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
The molding is installed with double sided adhesive foam tape. Heat gun it to remove. Do not throw it out, repaint it off the car. Then reapply. Pieces are becoming unavailable. I never recommend changing a cars color unless it's stripped down to the shell. No brake lines, wire harness etc. You'll always find the old paint somewhere otherwise. If the paint on the car isn't peeling off the metal, paint over it.