PDA

View Full Version : 88 celica 5SGE build, looking for tips

celicaGT90_05
05-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Well its been a while since I've had any real activity on here, been busy with other projects n such, but I've grown the itch to get my 88 celica back on the road. Many of you probably forgot I had this car, its an 88 GTS, therefore has a 3SGE installed. I have not started the engine, but when I got it was told it had a rod knock. It also came with a spare 5SFE that we hauled in the passenger seat since the seats need reupholstered anyway.

So heres what Im lookin at, I have both components, the 5SFE block and the 3SGE head, was told the head was refreshed a while back, but of course will inspect its condition. I am planning to take apart the bottom end of the 5SFE and at least plastigauge and freshly lube the bearings and cylinder walls, replace seals n such.

I have not fully studied the 5SGE threads yet, however, I am NOT asking how to build this engine. What I am considering is changing the pistons to higher compression pistons, using ARP studs and maybe upgrade the rods. I do not intend to run boost, I'd rather have a strong performing NA engine for my 88.

So, with that said, what do you guys suggest I go with? Or maybe just stick with stock internals? I am not in a big rush, as the car will be converted to manual at the same time and will need to gather up those parts (though it seems 4th gens end up in yards frequently, so that shouldnt be a big hassle).

But once again, not looking to get answers to build the beast, just looking to push the envelope one step further.

RedRkt01
05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Look up eazy2001x on mr2oc.com That is what I would do in your shoes. Do what he did and do it with a 2nd or 3rd Gen G head instead of the 1st. Sure, you have the 1St Gen head, but that won't net you much power. As you probably know there isn't much support for that engine. Trust me, I've done years of research and am currently installing a 3rd Gen 3SGE in my ST162. I know all about whats out there. If you stick with that head your project intending on 'pushing the envelope' is over before it begins.

celicaGT90_05
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
changed my opinion, so redoing this post. Where would I source a 2nd or 3rd gen 3SGE head from? I'll take a look at the post you recommended and go from there.

RedRkt01
05-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Do that! Then get back to me when you're ready and I'll give you the road map I followed.

celicaGT90_05
05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
oh quick question if you can answer, if not I'll research it. But, will my current TB and intake system still be compatible? Want to know because I will go ahead and prepare those parts and research the head and internal options as I go

RedRkt01
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the 1st Gen intake mani and all that will bolt up to the later gen heads. I just don't know because I don't think anyone has tried it. the 2nd and 3rd Gen 3SGE intake systems ares better so most people use those.

rev_head
05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
gen 2 intake ports are much bigger then gen 1