PDA

View Full Version : apexi safc2

lees celica st185
05-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi,can anybody help me please. I have just brought a safc2. I want to run this with my blitz ecu. I have been looking for help with the install. maybe a thread i can read before doing.. i have searched the forums to find that pressure2 did one ,but i carnt find it anywhere. Can anybody help please... I own a uk st185 1991 model. thanks lee:biggthumpup:

T-spoon
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm afraid I can't help you much there, but I am curious what benefit there is to using the SAFC if you're already running a stand-alone?

lees celica st185
05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi m8, the blitz ecu isnt a standalone , it has different maps and stuff. The safc2 is to monitor things and run bigger injectors.

ChrisD
05-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I've never seen the wiring diagrams, however here is how I'd expect it to go.

B+ feed for ignition switched power.
Ground, either to chassis or use a main like E01
VC to manipulate the AFM signal / airflow. Would probably have to intercept the ecu side and the AFM side, with the box in between to manipulate the signal.

Set up, just note that the 3sgte AFM reads 5-0V, not 0-5V like some. (5V is fully closed, 0V is wide open)

With all that said, be very careful using this box. Reducing fuel actually reduces how much airflow the ECU sees, which therefore *adds* ignition advance since it thinks it is seeing less air. This can be dangerous especially when compensating for larger injectors and has lead to many cracked ring lands.

vip09
05-04-2010, 12:30 AM
In my opinion, the money for the blitz ecu and safc2 could have gone towards a standalone ems.

I wouldn't even consider using an SAFC on a 3S-GTE.

Sang
05-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Here are the wiring diagrams I used when I wired my old one in. T5-b is the pinout for a '91 ST185. Also attached is the VAFC wiring diagram since the SAFC diagrams i've looked at didn't have the wires labeled for some reason.

Don't pay attention to the vtec wires since the safc doesn't have it and or the cam sensor wires since the gen2 3sgte doesn't have that either. That just leaves the purple wire which goes to the knock sensor pin. The brown and black wire will go to the same ground but no farther than like .5" apart. I would also recommend wiring in the TPS wire into the MAP (PIM circuit) instead of TPS so that any adjustments will be activated via boost pressure instead of throttle percentage.

Good luck...and personally, I wouldn't be using it to tune larger injectors...only VERY minor corrections. I also attached the timing advance graph from ATS from years back to let you understand why...

Carolina91GT-S
05-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Joe O used one of these to tune his 3SGTE a while back, seemed to get some good results and discussed the problem you mentioned of advanced timing...Check out

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/MR2_Docs/RegulatorInstallation.htm

then check out the tuning sections

Its good info. I think he is using a CT20b in his setup, as well as water injection, An adjustable fuel pressure regulator, maybe bigger injectors too but I can't recall for sure, but other than that it is just the boost controller and the SAFC unit...his power charting was done with a Gtech meter.

I think I have the complete SAFC II manual in soft copy. PM me if you need it and gimme a day to two to locate it.

~Chris

Sang
05-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Joe had an autolab t3/t4 kit.

lees celica st185
05-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi all thanks ever so much for all your help. I will get this wired up as soon as possible.. thank you. Yes, the stand alone would of been better ,but i didnt have the 1,500 to get one lol.I fell really lucky again and brought the blitz ecu and safc2 for less than 220.I dont think i will lose money on these items so after i've had some fun, i will sell and get the stand alone.I neeed to have some fun with this car now as its cost me every thing i have ,and i still have only managed 2,653miles in the 2 years of owning it.lol.