PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Alternator dead, what else fits??

Nitro_Alltrac
05-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm sure this is probably posted somewhere here on the site and I did search but didn't find it in the first five pages.

The damn alternator on the All Trac took a shit tonight and I had to have it towed back to the apartment. I just moved to San Antonio so I'm between a rock and hard place at the moment. Will a 5S alternator work on the SGTE? Nobody that I've checked (NAPA, Autozone, Advance, O'Rielly's) has the 3S alternator in stock. I need something ASAP.

METDeath
05-02-2010, 02:13 AM
5S-FE with an auto should be up to the task. The manual has a lower output alt.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-02-2010, 02:16 AM
So the housing bolts up to the brackets the same? One of the places had a 5S alternator with the same output as the 3S unit they were showing. Thanks for the quick response Marshall.

acidice333
05-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Yeah bolts up fine.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks Steve. That's what I needed to know.

I can get a Denso reman for $183 tomorrow. I'll check some of the other options as well, but it looks like I can get one tomorrow.

Oh, and I have a wonderful rental car, a BRIGHT yellow VW Bug. I'll post embarrassing pics tomorrow.

T-spoon
05-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Man that's unlucky no one had one. Mine started going bad last month, popped in the Napa a block from my house and BAM, they had one. I was actually a bit surprised by that. I also had the alt on my 90 alltrac die... must be a hard knock life for them under those hot hoods :hehe:

Nitro_Alltrac
05-02-2010, 04:41 AM
I was afraid that it being a 3SGTE would make it a problem getting one but I didn't figure that it was going to take a week. I'm going to pick the 5S unit up tomorrow. They're both 80 amp so that should work, at least for a while.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Well nobody here stocks the auto/80 amp alternator. Some have the 70 for the manual. I went ahead and ordered it. I should have it by Wednesday. I'll keep the rental until then.

Shadowlife25
05-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Mike, sorry I didn't see this earlier.

The alt bodies are the same, as Marshall and Steve pointed out.
You can get a 140A (rated160A) for $160. on e-bay.
I have had mine in for 2.5 years now with no issues.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-06-2010, 03:43 AM
The new alternator got here today. It went on fine and after jumping the car, it works fine. This was the problem. I'm back in business now! :facesjump:

Nitro_Alltrac
05-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Well the new alternator became a new problem. I went out yesterday morning to go to work and the car started but it turned over slow. Same thing last night leaving work. It started but not by much. I figured that it was the battery. It had been in there about 5 years and I figured that the alternator dying sucked that last of the life out of it. I got the car jump started and went and got a new battery. Problem fixed.

I drove around town this afternoon looking at houses. The car seemed to run fine. The battery light stayed on for a while after I first started it but went out. I made a couple of stops on the way back. The first one, it was slow turning over. I thought that now maybe something was going with the starter. I stopped and Walmart and got a few things and came back out. No start!:wtf_yellow: I stop the Walmart security guard to see if he can give me a jump. He can't but go to the autocenter. So I hike back there and the guy comes out and jumps the car. The meter on the jump box shows that the battery is WAY low. I immediately drove over the O'Reily's next door and had them check the alternator. It was putting out about 11.3 volts and less than 30 amps (80 amp unit). Long story short, this was killing the new battery.

Of course they didn't have that one or the one for the 5S in stock but he did find one at another story in town. They're supposed to have it in the morning. I bought a battery charger so I'm charging the battery tonight. When I hooked it up it showed less than 20% charge.

I really hope that I get a good one this time. I don't have any other transportation here and this has gone past sucking. I guess the Trac, or at least some of the parts, don't like Texas. It's run for about 3 days in the week that we've been here. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Rant over.

Shadowlife25
05-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Best of luck Mike.

I will again recommend the 160A (rated) unit from e-bay.
It has served me well for the last 3 years.
Ran me $165. shipped.