PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh to Knoxville time?

klapa
05-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Anybody been down 40 that way since the road opened?

The mileage chart says "296 miles" - which would equate to 6 hours to me - but I can't believe that because it is at least five hours from here to Asheville doing 80! I've made that drive enough times to know.

I want to know because my plans have changed somewhat for the Dragon Run.

I had planned to leave around 4:00 PM Thursday - as I wanted to get there early so as to have the day on Friday to go and meet some people at a very important customer my company has in Knoxville.

So I booked the hotel last week - for both Thursday and Friday night. Now, as it turns out - my wife cannot get off work til 8:00 PM on Thursday instead of 3:00 PM as originally planned.

So - I figured - no problem! I'll just cancel the Thursday night reservation and pay maybe $20 for the cancellation, and then we'll leave early Friday morning.

NOPE! The "fine print" IS that I got a "great rate" by booking Holiday Inn on the internet - in fact - I saved a WHOPPING $19 off the "regular rates"! Yet - I CANNOT CANCEL - I must pay $96 for that room whether or not I'm there!

So - my wife will be "dead tired" but I would rather take off early and rest some - and make the drive Thursday because I don't want to pay for a room I'm not using.

Still - if it is more like 10 hours than 6 hours - I'll just wait till the wee hours of Friday to leave here.

METDeath
05-01-2010, 04:35 AM
You prepaid, didn't you? You can probably call the hotel directly and talk them into a Friday/Saturday night stay instead of the Thursday/Friday nights. Also, the main day of the meet is Saturday, most of us roll in Friday.

klapa
05-01-2010, 04:50 AM
You prepaid, didn't you? You can probably call the hotel directly and talk them into a Friday/Saturday night stay instead of the Thursday/Friday nights. Also, the main day of the meet is Saturday, most of us roll in Friday.

Yea - I called them directly - and that was the answer - as above.

I won't be there Saturday night because I have even another thing to do - to visit my mom in her new :home" in Brasstown Ga. on Sunday, Mother's Day.

So I'll be on the "run" about half to three quarters of the way and then breaking off to go to Brasstown, where I have reservations for Saturday night.

Anyway - no big deal - except for the really "hidden" fine print for Holiday Inn.

Still - it would be helpful to know the actual experience of anyone here that might have actually made the trip to Knoxville since the road opened again.

Look forward to actually meeting allot of people here on the run - regardless of other outcomes - we will be there!

METDeath
05-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah... about the best you could do is get them to comp you on a future night... maybe.

Carolina91GT-S
05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I went last year and it took me about 5-5.5 hours from Durham (right where I40 and I85 merge). It's going to take you a while. Traffic was not bad at all since we drove through the night. I would plan 5.5-6 hours from RDU. We stayed about a half mile from the meet parking lot and the Cracker Barrell. We ran through the Dragon then continued East on our way home and it saved a ton of time getting back.

Why don't people use Hotels.com for these things? I always get a way better deal that way, you will get a better deal than the hotel can give you for sure.

I need to meet up with you sometime and compare notes there are so few people in this area Celica stuff.

~Chris

klapa
05-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Why don't people use Hotels.com for these things? I always get a way better deal that way, you will get a better deal than the hotel can give you for sure.

I need to meet up with you sometime and compare notes there are so few people in this area Celica stuff.

~Chris

Carolina -

Yea I probably should've gone to some site like that to book my hotel - it's only the time factor for me - I have so little of it. Also - sometimes those sites like "priceline.com" to name one are a real PITA of you need to change your reservations.

I'd love to get together sometime as you are right - very few here that actually LOVE their Celica - plus - I see a "turbo in my future".

See you on the run. We'll be there at the hotel around 3 PM tomorrow in a white 92 GT coupe without A/C -:)