PDA

View Full Version : Automatic to Manual transmission swap?

Doowstados
04-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm very interested in this. Any information would be helpful. I tried searching for the info on the forum search thing but for some reason it never loads for me? It's always been like that.

Anyway, is the swap worth it? Or would it be easier to just sell the car and get a new one? Opinions and links to some good sources are more than welcome.

4thgenceli
04-29-2010, 06:57 AM
It's not too bad.

Mechanically, you'll need the manual flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and TO bearing. Obviously you'll need the corresponding manual transmission.

Along with this, shift cables, shifter, clutch pedal, all clutch hydrolic lines & reservoir. The actually swap doesn't seem to be that bad.

cell172
04-29-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm very interested in this also. Eventually I plan on doing a 3S swap. What manual tranny could I swap in now and do the engine later, if there is one?

Chris

4thgenceli
04-29-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm very interested in this also. Eventually I plan on doing a 3S swap. What manual tranny could I swap in now and do the engine later, if there is one?

Chris
Any S series transmission (S53/S56/etc).

Doowstados
04-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Any write ups on this? Would be helpful to have a reference. Thanks!

Murgatroy
04-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I know that Hooligan did this years ago.

Dr. Tweak has also performed a few auto-manual swaps.

I have done many manual to auto swaps and even a couple of auto to manual swaps, but those were all RWD domestics. Well, there was the one Nissan Pulsar, but that was nearly 20 years ago.

91convertible
05-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I did it, its not too bad but i did it when my engine was out so idk with it in. But here it the site that i used to do it

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/atomconvi.htm

mar_phi6
05-01-2010, 06:53 PM
that site is still up and running