PDA

View Full Version : Fabric/sim-leather recoloring

Physlis
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm re-doing my interior in all black, partially to match my new buckets and I was eventually going to do it anyway. I've already pulled all the interior panels minus the dash and have re-painted all the plastic pieces from the doors back. Taking a break at the moment since I got sent TDY to Vegas and had to leave the Celi behind. As soon as I get back I'm going to do the rest, but I'll end up having all the sim-leather pieces (i.e. center armrest, a-pillars and dash) and the fabric (rear seats, door inserts, headliner, and belts) that I can't paint. Any ideas how I might be able to dye these? I heard there might be some sort of spray dye that I could use instead of tearing the seats apart and doing them the conventional way.

Oh, and what holds the headliner in? I'm figuring it doesn't just stick up there, so I don't want to just yank on it.

Physlis
05-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Bump for advice.

UtahSleeper
05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
For the sim leather you may want to see if you can just get a sheet of the material. Pull off the old stuff and glue the new on.

The seats you may be able to pull the skin off and dye with normal fabric dye. Just an idea.

I thought the headliner just used some form of glue. I know pep boys sells headliner spray. Not sure on the quality of it though.

Physlis
05-12-2010, 05:46 AM
I got it all figured out. Headliner was pretty much just held in by all the accessories (i.e. mirrors, dome light, 'oh shit bar') and 2 clips over the quarter panel windows. I got some fabric/vinyl spray paint from Autozone that worked well on the sim-leather/vinyl but is horrible for fabric (Used my old passenger seat to test). Ordered some fabric paint that should be much better. If it doesn't keep the fabric soft I get my money back. I'll post the results after I get it done.

Carolina91GT-S
05-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Got pictures and details of the vinyl dye results in the meantime?

~Chris

Physlis
05-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Sure do, they'll be going up in my project thread once I get them uploaded.

Physlis
05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Pics are up.

Here's one of the armrest:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/1/0/0/sdc12059.jpg
The paint I used seems to stay flexible, once I get everything back in and put a few miles on it I'll get a better idea of how it will hold up.