PDA

View Full Version : anyone here running a blitz muffler kit?

lalojamesliz
04-28-2010, 01:12 AM
i found a used blitz exhaust kit that looks like its from the down pipe to the muffler for $120. what do you guys think? i think its only 2 1/4" pipe but what really worries me is the sound. i dont want that civic with the folgers can exhaust sound. i really like the mitsu evo and subaru wrx sound. what are your guys opinions? the shop that was going to do that 3" midpipe and exhaust for me said they wont do it without adding a california smog legal converter ($180 for for the converter) and that will be around $500 total. so thats why this for $120 caught my eyes.

geebes
04-28-2010, 02:07 AM
? I have a 3" and it sounds really good, I haven't heard anything else.

lalojamesliz
04-28-2010, 03:51 AM
sound clip by any chance?

geebes
04-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Uhhhh...I don't know if I have anything that takes video...I'll get back to you.

lalojamesliz
04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
damn i want it because its only $120 but im worried about the sound. the guy told me its 2 1/4" any idea what kind of hp that is good for? i would think it would atleast be 2.5" since its a aftermarket blitz exhaust kit.

alistair
04-28-2010, 10:39 AM
The exhaust between a NA and Turbo vehicle is different.

AFAIK, N/A car's usually have longer runners which turn into a collector, which then attaches the the midpipe. There is no downpipe on a N/A car.

However the catback section of this exhaust you're looking at may fit a N/A celica.

Edit: Also, Regarding sound, yeah that's a bitch. When I got my mongoose I didn't get to hear it first, but was very happy with how it sounds despite it looking completely ridiculous (4.5" Slash cut tailpipe)

If you don't like how the exhaust sounds, you may want to try a different muffler or perhaps get a resonator installed. The resonator should lower the pitch of the exhaust note.

Galcobar
04-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, on 5SFE Celicas, there are basically no runners. The manifold is a log-style manifold, as opposed to the tube-style used on 5SFE-equipped Camrys. The catalytic converter serves as our collector.

The primary means to avoid sounding as if you borrowed one of those Civic exhausts is to spend the money to get quality. At a minimum, include a resonator. And no, not a round muffler packed with fibreglass or ceramic fibre or steel wool, or any sort of sound-absorbing insulation. Those are mufflers, they just look like resonators -- and people like to market them as resonators because the buying public is largely ignorant and easily misled.

A resonator is a hollow echo chamber, in which sound waves are bounced into each other in order to cancel them out. It does reduce the volume, but its primary value is in smoothing the tone of the exhaust. The annoying buzz in poorly done exhausts is almost always due to the lack of a resonator.

lalojamesliz
04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
damn you guys posted before i finished editing my previous post lol but i am at work right now and i sneek around to post here since phones are not allowed because they have cameras :) . it does have a resonator. it looks like a big rectangle shaped muffler on the opposite end of the muffler huh. ill just get it and post my results. i googled the kit and a similar kit is listed at $739 and its a 70mm pipe with a 114mm tip size. thats 2.75" and it sounds better than 2.25" for a aftermarket kit

Galcobar
04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Again, just because the manufacturer labels it as a resonator in no way guarantees it's a resonator. Heck, it's not even a reasonable certainty.

lalojamesliz
04-29-2010, 04:31 AM
well ill find out in some time. i told the person i want it and my sister to pick it up for me but now i need to go pick it up

joe's gt
04-29-2010, 06:41 AM
I used to have a nur spec r catback and it sounded flat out orgasmic. Make sure you don't have a huge tip or cops will pull you over and accuse you of street racing and then send you to a smog referee. Happened to me ;)

lalojamesliz
04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
if it does have the big tip i was thinking of choping it off and replacing it with a saller diameter tip. i hope i dont have problems like that :(