PDA

View Full Version : Brake help

Chevarian113
04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
So I am a n00b, and want to make sure I am checking all of the correct things here.

We went to replace the struts in a 1988 Celica Alltrac, and in order to do so, had to disconnect the brake lines (only did one strut so far since we decided on a different option). The line was disconnected at the caliper. When we reassembled, the brakes were bled for obvious reasons. Bled through for about half a quart of fluid to make sure no air in the system and to flush out what was in the car already. Yes, I made sure the reservoir did not run low. However, when everything looked good, there was still no pressure to the brakes, and the pedal goes all the way to the floor.
I looked around to make sure there were no leaks where we disconnected the lines... and in the engine bay there is what sounds like a hissing noise when pumping the brakes (as if air was being pushed around). I looked at all of the lines that are visible without taking stuff apart, and saw no leaks there. I understand it may mean a bad master cylinder, but would that cause air to push around like that?? The brakes worked fine before disconnected, so I can't see that being the immediate problem.
Also, the rotors and pads are old as hell and need to be replaced, but as I said above, there was enough to stop the vehicle before.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

CriScO
04-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Things to look at:
- Check the vaccum hose going to the brake booster.
- Make sure the rubber boots around the resivior are still good.