PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Chiller on an Automatic

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Okay.

I know, I'm driving an automatic. I don't have the funds yet to safely invest in the creation of the V6 yet. That means no manual swap for now...

So I am left with some even crappier options when it comes to cooling. I am planning on traversing the country a few times in this car. I want it to actually cool.

So, I think what is going to have to happen, is I am going to buy a nice 2 or 3 core all aluminum radiator that I can keep for the later swap. Mix in a separate oil cooler and a tranny cooler, I can do whatever I want.

So the decision now, as coolers are crazy cheap: Do I install something in front of the AC radiator? Do I install something low and attach it beneath the main radiator? Do I install something in the bumper grille, intercooler style, but a lot more inconspicuous?

I am going to explore some options, but I definitely like the idea of saving $$ on a radiator by going larger and having a better working tranny chiller. Any ideas?

METDeath
04-24-2010, 06:06 AM
You know the autos come stock with a trans cooler, right?

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-24-2010, 06:14 AM
You know the autos come stock with a trans cooler, right?

The OEM radiator has the hookups right on them. But every radiator offering for an automatic replacement radiator is a narrow single row with plastic tanks. They seem horribly overpriced because they required extra fabrication for the ports on the tank.

I am basically going to install a better quality, beefier radiator offered only to manual transmission Celicas. This would then require me to install a transmission cooler. I figure a dedicated cooler would work better anyways.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I should be receiving a 2-core ASI 50mm aluminum radiator this week for the AllTrac. 3 core seemed like over kill. From my understanding, Autopwr radiators are rebranded ASI radiators. When I get a chance, I will poke around at a few autoparts places in town for a tranny cooler kit. I am going to install this guy in the bumper in front of the AC radiator.

Install pics and write-up to follow.