PDA

View Full Version : Rev. Limiter

celica race car
04-23-2010, 05:57 AM
How do you remove the rev limiter on a 91 GTS? I understand the possibility of blowing it up. I just need to know how to do it. I rebuilt the engine from the oil pan to the valve cover and i know it will rev a little higher than 6300.

4thgenceli
04-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Just rebuilding it from top to bottom doesn't mean it'll rev higher. What all did you do to it?

celica race car
04-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Had crank turned, new bearings, block machined, head machined, ported and polished, new rods, pistons, valves,.......... everything except having the flywheel lightened...

4thgenceli
04-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Ok, how about the head internals? Valve springs, cams, etc? Turning higher revs can put more stress on the head internals (namely the valves/springs/associated parts).

Personally, I think a lot more work would need to be done before trying to go over the rev limiter. I'd say need to make sure the rods/bearings are up for the challenge, the oiling system is ready, as well as the valve/springs/cam bolts/etc are all ready to deal with the increased stress.

celica race car
04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
The valves and valve springs are new. The cams are stock. The rods, pistons and all bearings are new. The oil gets changed every two to three weeks as this is a circle track car.

Naemion
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
What he is saying is you need stronger valves and stiffer springs.

4thgenceli
04-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Yep.

new stock springs are the same as your old stock springs, no difference. Overrevving the engine on new stock springs will blow out the same as old stock springs.

The 3sge/3sgte valve springs will fit on the 5sfe, but you'll need to make some modifications to the seats.

I'll move this to the N/A forum where the N/A gods can better chime in.

celica race car
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know how to remove the rev. limiter?

Shadowlife25
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey bud, you've been told that there is no need.

You are on completely stock internals with nothing forged or lightened at all.
Also, without cams or any other significant work done, you will not be making any additional power past that point.

Get it?

celica race car
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
They are not stock internals. With the exception of the cams. I just need to know if anyone knows how to remove the rev. limiter....

187flatliner
04-23-2010, 02:27 PM
please list these internals so that way we can help you more, we dont like to see someone destroy their motor with our knowledge......so if they arent stock then let us know what they are so we can know that the parts you installed will be up to the test.......we want to help but we need more info then, "how do you remove the rev limiter" i dont mean to sound like an ass but we do have a point in asking detailed questions like these.

so please let us know

what brand internals
what you've installed to help your internals
whats stock and whats not

something along these lines.

93celicaconv
04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
An opinion here: I don't think he is going to hold anyone else accountable for his own actions. He is simply asking how to remove or increase the engine speed limiter. I think he is taking on the risk associated with his action. He is using it as a circle track race car. He's probably used to rebuilding and/or replacing engines all the time anyway. Maybe someone just PM him on it, so others who might not know any better don't get the knowledge of how to do it?

187flatliner
04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
agreed if i knew how i would.......i was mainly stating on here what mario keeps saying about asking questions on here....its easier to get help when more info is available

93celicaconv
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I don't know how to change the rev. limit either. I would guess (but I sure don't know) that the engine RPM limit is a flashed value in the ECM, and the ECM compares the engine RPM it gets from the distributor or crankshaft position sensor on newer 5S-FE's, and compares that running value with the limit value, and if met, will temporarily stop the ignition or fuel injection until the engine speed goes below the flashed RPM limit. But I would have no idea how to change the limit value stored in the ECM. I would bet there is a way though.

187flatliner
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
probably with a comp tuner or something.

grayscale
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
All warnings being given, here is the info you seek sir-
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34405

Be safe and let us know how it goes!

celica race car
04-23-2010, 05:57 PM
grayscale Thank you. But the B18's at the track are gonna hate you. :-)