PDA

View Full Version : Question for you guys with CS bumper and front plate

Nitro_Alltrac
04-20-2010, 10:28 PM
As you guys know I'm moving to Texas which is a front plate state. Is there any kind of plate bracket for the CS bumper or does the plate bolt straight to the bumper cover itself?

darthripley
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Mike did you check out our project thread over alltrac.net?
on pg 29 i have pics of the little adapter that Joe made so we can have our front plate on the RC bumper.

When you are coming down again?
I'll shoot you a PM or you can hit me up ... I don't want to have Vadar torn apart when you come to visit.

VikingJZ
04-21-2010, 12:53 AM
I've always heard that Texas wasn't really big on enforcing the front plate law.

Not sure if I'd want to chance it, but that's what my girlfriend's brother told me. They live near Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

darthripley
04-21-2010, 02:46 AM
it really depends on where you are if there's a chance for you get pulled over or not for not having a front plate.
my friend got let off with a warning when he was in east texas near Tyler but if you go through Addison which is just north of Dallas you would get a ticket for sure.

187flatliner
04-21-2010, 03:50 AM
oregons the same way.....i hate it....i see so many people that dont run a front plate or have it in their windshield and i've asked them whether they've been pulled over and their like "no" ....i do it for less than three days and i get a warning. but i really dont mind it being there, i just hate the fact we cant have even a clear cover over our plates.

DudeMan
04-21-2010, 04:08 AM
I've never looked too close to be honest.

Always assumed it just bolted straight to the bumper but that's a good question.

darthripley
04-21-2010, 04:15 AM
here are the pics from my project thread.

my husband Joe made the adapter bracket from aluminum, drilled & tapped the holes & i painted it satin black.

as you can see the jdm plate holes are a tad bit wider than US plates & the furthest holes are for euro plates i believe.

http://www.imageartstudio.com/justjoe/images/vrclic1.jpg

here is the plate mounted:

http://www.imageartstudio.com/justjoe/images/vrclic2.jpg

a lot of people i have seen just go with zipties, but for a more permanent solution this what we came up with.

geebes
04-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Just say no to front plates.

nyana107
04-21-2010, 07:56 AM
nice job on the custom plate holder darth..
when i had my celi i just used zip ties for my front plates...
looking to get back into a 5th gen again as a daily.. you dallas folks know any decent 5th gen up for grabs? :)

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/nyana107/IMG_1006.jpg

T-spoon
04-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Yeah it's hit or miss on the enforcement. I was pulled over and warned once about it in my 6gen (in Houston, that is), but never had front plates on other cars with no issues. Probably you'd never get hassled, but if they were already looking for something to get you with, it'd be an easy one.

darthripley
04-21-2010, 07:13 PM
nice job on the custom plate holder darth..
when i had my celi i just used zip ties for my front plates...
looking to get back into a 5th gen again as a daily.. you dallas folks know any decent 5th gen up for grabs? :)

there was a guy in arlington trying to sell a pretty rough black alltrac ST185 - i believe it was a '90 -- had a GT front bumper on it.
check out craigslist tho, i'm sure there's a few for sale locally.

T-Spoon you're right about hit or miss - just depends on the cop & where you are when you get pulled over.
I don't mind running with a front plate b/c the personalized plates aren't cheap + if I do get pulled over it's one less thing to get nailed on.

Nitro_Alltrac
04-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the pictures Keri. That helps. I hadn't measured the distance between the holes. I'll probably end up doing what Joe did.

I should be coming through Dallas sometime in the late morning/early afternoon on Thursday, the 29th. I'm shooting for at least Memphis and hopefully Littlerock on Wednesday. If I miss you guys on the trip down to San Antonio, I'll be up to visit shortly. The wife isn't moving down till later so I'll time on my hands and some road trips will be a good way to spend it.

celica9303
04-22-2010, 06:47 AM
OH is a front plate state also but were so close to MI that most cops dont bother unless you get pulled over for somethng else, i was pulled over the otherday for 4mph over and the cop just asked why i didnt have one, i told her i had it but it was in the truck( i filled the mounting holes on my jdm 185 bumper) she asked "why" an i replied that i wsnt gonig to drill a perfectly good bumper or pay to have it done. she agreed and let me off with a warning...

ive also never had a front plate on any of my 4 cars and this ws the olny issue i ever had since i was 16

darthripley
04-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Sounds good Mike. Just call if you have time for a quick visit. If you want to stay the night just let me know b/c I can borrow an air mattress from a friend.
We can get together with Mixmaster & have an Alltrac run through the Hill Country real soon before it gets too hot down here.

VikingJZ
04-24-2010, 07:15 AM
oregons the same way.....i hate it....i see so many people that dont run a front plate or have it in their windshield and i've asked them whether they've been pulled over and their like "no" ....i do it for less than three days and i get a warning. but i really dont mind it being there, i just hate the fact we cant have even a clear cover over our plates.

I have a friend that lives near Eugene and he hasn't had one on his car for several years, and has never been stopped for it. As a matter of fact, he's only been stopped once and that was for a burned out tail light. For which he was let off with a verbal warning. Basically just a courtesy stop.

187flatliner
04-24-2010, 09:08 AM
yeah oregon sucks.......i got a 170 dollar ticket for my tail light being out.......NOT A WARNING either ...... the cop was a dick tho too. but i guess when they tell you have a light out dont say....are you sure?....long story.

nyana107
04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
any dallas meets anytime soon fellas? :)

darthripley
04-30-2010, 08:54 PM
some local guys over on 6gc.net get together every now & again -- check over there in the meets/events section.
we just don't really have the time to do any meets right now .. too many other fish to fry.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I'll have to start checking there. I'd like to get in on a meet.

darthripley
05-01-2010, 04:10 PM
^ we can meet up with you & mixmaster & do the 3 sisters route sometime soon.
did you make it to SA ok btw?

Nitro_Alltrac
05-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Hey Keri! Yes, we got in on Thursday evening. The wind was brutal in the truck.

We'll have to see if we can get a date set up that works for all of us. I'm ready at any time. I'm here by myself for the time being so I've got plenty of time.

TXcajunman
05-01-2010, 06:51 PM
if my celica can get shifting i might be able to make it to Dallas to meet everyone,and marvel at your cars

darthripley
05-02-2010, 05:08 AM
we can get a meet thread going here shortly.

usually, we like to meet up in Austin -- it's sort of centrally located -- as central as anything can be in Tx lol
Austin is great city to meet in + the roads in the Hill Country are a blast to drive.
I like to meet & have a nice drive on twisty roads & then eat dinner shoot some BS around & then split.
so, like i said we can get a meet thread going & figure out how many Tx Alltracs we can actually get in 1 place at 1 time :D

zen
05-02-2010, 07:56 AM
i just drilled new holes in my plate to accomidate the bumper... and called it a day..

TomsGT4
05-03-2010, 03:08 AM
What do you think about the look of having the plate on a swinging hinge?
Kind of like-
http://www.miata.net/garage/swingplate.html

darthripley
05-03-2010, 03:23 AM
we did a similar thing with the MR2 like that Miata but with the ST185 being so curvy i'm not sure where a good place would be to put it off to the side ???

TomsGT4
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah.... I was thinking about that but then decided I didn't like the look after playing with photo shop.
What I might eventually do is build a mounting bracket with a permanent angle to it. Maybe 30 or so.

Siyx
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
A lot of people in Kitchener Ontario area drive highly modified cars or JDM cars where there are no mounting points in the front. They display them on the dash. Don't know of anyone getting a ticket, pulled over or a warning for doing so. I would guess that "this car was never meant for a front plate so i display it where i can" excuse might get you out of trouble if pulled over. Then again this is the town for large car shows and modifications so i wonder if the cops are a little more lenient with such things (as long as your not driving like a crazed maniac)