PDA

View Full Version : question about 3sgte head

alistair
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I need to replace the head gasket on my alltrac, and am going to get the head decked? (flattened)

Does anyone know if all the valves will close completely? The shop needs to have them all closed to be able to machine the head, otherwise I'll have to pull all the valves and the cam shafts then reinstall them.

Also, when I pull the head are there any obvious things to look for that would tell me not to bother with it?

Mafix
04-19-2010, 10:11 PM
yes deck the head. look for cracks in the combustion chamber. usually appearing between exhaust valves.

alistair
04-20-2010, 02:35 AM
What's the most that can be shaved off?

Also, if I'm not going to be putting a new turbo on anytime soon and am just running ~11PSI of boost on the CT26 (Maybe getting a CT20b), is there any reason I shouldn't use a HG kit from kbox.ca? it looks like some MLS compound. Link is http://kbox.ca/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/588

Thanks Mafix :)

Mafix
04-21-2010, 04:01 PM
measure away. that is something i cannot tell you. way too many variables. any competent machinist will have all the equipment to do it right.
use ANY mls gasket. just make sure it's MLS. there are tons of options. also be sure and use arp studs.

93celicaconv
04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Regarding valves open during the head deck machining, the machine shop will remove the cams, so all the valves are closed.

Along these lines, if the valves still have their original seals, this would be a great opportunity to replace the seals, since access is quite easy with the head off and cams out.