PDA

View Full Version : left rear brake noise where

aye87
04-17-2010, 08:52 PM
hello
last week, the left side rear hub starting making noise, it only happen when presses on brake pedal at 20 mph to 0 mph, and noise pulstion every half second i have installed new drum, shoe, hardware, everything go where it suppose to and even grease the backing plate
it has to be the brakes because it only make noise when I hit brake pedal, definately coming from the left rear hub
do you have same thing happen to you? thank you

93celicaconv
04-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Dumb questions, but did you install the new brake hardware on the left side? And does the noise/pulsation still persist?

You really didn't say this in your initial post.

aye87
04-17-2010, 09:32 PM
after i install the new brakes, it didnt have any noise, it was after a week i started driving my car, and i installed new brake hardware on both side, yes the half second pulsation noise still here
it doesnt sound like the hub is wearing out because i jacked it up and spin it, no noise at all and the steel rims look good condition, i dont know about the tire, it might be punture inside
the sway bar end link boot is worn out, but i dont think that making those noise
also i replaced both front calipers and i only bleeded the front brakes, not the rear, would it be the problem? i think it would just make air in the system but not making noise

93celicaconv
04-18-2010, 02:59 AM
If you didn't open up the hydraulic fluid lines on the back when you did your brakes, and only opened up the front to change your calipers, you should be safe in only bleeding the front brakes.

So you don't "feel" the pulsations during braking, but only "hear" them, if I got your message right, right?

If so, your new drums may not be perfectly round, but good enough not to cause you to feel pulsations when braking. Up to you, but if new, you could take them back and ask them to turn the drums a little, to true them up and make them perfectly round.

You didn't say what year/model Celica you are referring to. That would be helpful. My 93 Celica convertible has rear discs, and everything is very quiet on that one when braking. My 90 & 91 Celica's are ST's with rear drums, and both have a slight scrapping sound when the brakes are first applied after sitting a half-day or more. After that, they quiet down a lot. There isn't much sound insulation in 5th Gen Celica ST models, so you hear things like brakes a lot. Maybe you are not used to that?

aye87
04-18-2010, 03:31 AM
yes, i dont feel it through the pedal but i hear the pulstion noise from the rear, maybe the drum and shoe have not break in yet but i dont see why it make noise

93celicaconv
04-18-2010, 03:36 AM
Well, Aye87, I think I did my best to tell you why it might still make noise. But I guess you will have to wait for more inputs. I don't know what else more I can say.

187flatliner
04-18-2010, 09:29 AM
you stated the noise only started after you installed the HARDWARE right...you had already a week previous changed the brakes...correct??.....change the left side hardware back to the original and see if it still makes the sound.

you did have them adjusted correctly right?

it might be that you just got a bad hardware piece that is throwing it all outta wack. see if that works and let us know.

you know you can always take it to les schwabs and ask them to look into it for you......i do this when i get find the problem...they do and i go home and fix it.

aye87
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
alright, i properly adjusted the rear drums but still doing the same thing

aye87
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
what is the source of the noise?
once the brake drum shoe warmed up, it stop making noise
is it cheap quality?

93celicaconv
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
what is the source of the noise?
once the brake drum shoe warmed up, it stop making noise
is it cheap quality?

Aye87, read the bottom paragraph of post #4 again. If you keep your car parked outside, you will hear a little noise after it has been sitting a long time. If you keep it parked inside, the noise isn't as prevalent. You probably have semi-metallic brake shoes, and I think those contribute to the noise when not used for some time, because of an oxidation buildup. You could replace those shoes again with organic, or ceramic (if they make rear drum shoes in ceramic).

aye87
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
yes thats the scraping sound im referring to and manfactured from carbon steel, i dont know what that is
monroe brake shoes BX529 installed in the drum, 91 GT
http://www.monroebrakes.com/products/prod_brakeshoes.asp

TomsGT4
05-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I know you said so, but it really does sounds like it's out of adjustment. That the adjustment screw isn't tightened (opened) enough and the shoe isn't applying enough stopping force on the drum.

Test by jacking up that side leaving the tire on, get buddie to stand on the brakes, and try with all your might to turn the wheel.

aye87
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I know you said so, but it really does sounds like it's out of adjustment. That the adjustment screw isn't tightened (opened) enough and the shoe isn't applying enough stopping force on the drum.

Test by jacking up that side leaving the tire on, get buddie to stand on the brakes, and try with all your might to turn the wheel.

it only happen in the first 10 - 15 mile
sometimes once they get warm, they will not make any more noise

and i tightened it really good, i left about a hair gap between shoe and drum

TomsGT4
05-05-2010, 05:50 PM
But also when most things get hot they expand, thereby putting more stopping force on the drum.
Anyhow just trying to help, and hope you find the problem because little annoyances like this bug the crap out of me while driving.

aye87
05-05-2010, 08:16 PM
i adjusted both rear drum the same way but only the driver rear side does this