PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Structural Reinforcement

DudeMan
04-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Ever since buying my welder I've been looking at my 185's nearly stripped body and wondering if its at all possible to weld in some extra braces/tubing to stiffen the chassis. You could think of it as a cheap alternative to buying aftermarket, bolt-on strut braces and what not.

Today I was bored, going through some pictures of the TTE 185 when I noticed this picture.

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/pics/wrc/185/036.jpg

See the extra tubes attached to the firewall and strut top, specifically the one on the right?

I think the one on the left is there to make up for the stock brace not being there but the other looks like additional bracing.

Whats everyone's opinion on this? Worth it?

It would be relatively cheap and easy to buy some tubing and weld it in so that's not an issue. I'm just not sure where exactly to put extra bracing or what I should take into consideration.

The only place I can think of so far is the example above. Obviously I don't want to go as far as a full roll cage or anything but it would be very cool to improve my cars handling by simply welding in some extra metal in a few places.

Any feedback is appreciated.

METDeath
04-14-2010, 01:10 AM
If I was going to do anything as far as structural bracing, I would take a good look at all the extra bracing they put in the convertibles and weld that kind of stuff in.

The Captain
04-14-2010, 01:23 AM
The weakest part of the chassis seems to be the area between the front and rear wheels. It twists and bends easily. A small tube, low profile roll cage will probably do the most for the car. Since I now own a vert too, the extra bracing they do is extensive. For unobtrusive bracing it can't be beat. Of course you'd have to find a wrecked vert and cut out the bracing.

DudeMan
04-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Do you think you could get some pictures of the extra bracing on your vert?

There's two problems with the idea, legality and safety.

So any extra bracing would have to be hidden/look stock and not pose an issue safety-wise.

The more I think about it the less sense it makes to do to a street car.

METDeath
04-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Nothing illegal about a roll cage, at least in most states/cities. As for safety, just ask for help on some of the home grown race web forums about roll cage making.

The Captain
04-14-2010, 04:12 AM
^He's up there in Canada, eh? Damn, wish you asked last week while I had the fenders off. I'll take some floor pics.

joe's gt
04-14-2010, 04:57 AM
I can't imagine why chassis reinforcement would be illegal anywhere. That's just plain stupid if it is. Which is why I bet Cali has a law against it.

Conrad_Turbo
04-14-2010, 06:37 PM
It's tied into the rollcage of a race car, not just welded to the firewall. Some insurance companies are leary about providing insurance to a car with a cage in it.

Naemion
04-14-2010, 06:52 PM
If you want something cheap and easy to install, you can get a probe/mx6 strut tower brace for the rear, and a neon rear strut brace. All together I think I spent $25, and they will only require minimal fabrication(drilling a few holes) to mount right up to the upper struts.