PDA

View Full Version : Had a weird experience today with my Alltrac. Please help...

09sNST165
04-13-2010, 01:21 AM
OK, was picking my sister up from a baseball game today and I've been driving the All-Trac for about a week now, and had this weird little encounter today.

I was pulling up to my moms house and the car gave a brief sputter, gave it a little gas, no more than 1500 RPMs total according to the Tach and all of a sudden I saw a small flame/spark of some sort shoot under of the drivers side of the hood, right where the brake fluid reservoir is. It never came out of the hood, i just caught it out of the corner of my eye. I then noticed the Anti-Lock light came on. I pulled to the side of the road and began to get out of the car when it began to run fine. I checked the temperature gauge and it was regular. So i shut the car off then lifted the hood. There was no fluid, nor any smell of something burning. So i got back in the car, started it up, and figured I would take a better look when I got home, which is only two blocks away. The whole two blocks back home, the car sputtered twice, and the Anti-Lock light would flash when the car did this. At one point it was as of the whole car was losing power. The radio cut out, as did all the interior gauge lights, and headlights. I gave it a little gas and it began to run fine. I only saw the flame or spark once just that once. However, I am a little pre-cautious about driving it now. Anyone have any ideas on what this could possibly be? Experienced the same problem? Or any good ideas on what I should look for under the hood?

I appreciate all your help in advance!

-Josh

187flatliner
04-13-2010, 01:49 AM
loose ground? or battery terminals loose?

09sNST165
04-13-2010, 02:11 AM
loose ground? or battery terminals loose?

I just went out and checked them. Grabbed the negative terminal and was completely tight. Then as I went to grab the positive terminal it shot sparks.... I dunno what the deal is. When i tried to tighten the positive terminal, the second i touched the wrench to the nut, it shot sparks. Does this mean there is some form of short in the wiring?

The Captain
04-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Check the wire going to the starter. Check for wear. Also check the 2nd wire on the positive battery post that goes to the fuse panel for the same.

09sNST165
04-13-2010, 04:13 AM
Check the wire going to the starter. Check for wear. Also check the 2nd wire on the positive battery post that goes to the fuse panel for the same.

will do. I'll try that in the morning and let you know the result... thanks Captain!

donteatbugs
04-13-2010, 04:39 AM
its been so long since my battery was in the stock location i didnt even think of that. lol

187flatliner
04-13-2010, 04:45 AM
i had the radio cut out on me and my car was sputtering.......or actually hesitating ..... when i checked my wires on the battery one was loose, tightened it and everything was good. but i also dont own an alltrac either but it sounded the same.

also untighten ur neg. wire then put your positive wire on and tighten it then put on your neg. wire.

Boycott!Swagger
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I've had the exact same problem. I thought something was terribly wrong and what not, but fortunately for me it was just a loose connection to the alternator. The spark i was seeing, or the flame if you will, was just the connection jumping on and off the alternator surging it, luckily it only did this once or twice before i checked top to bottom so my alt was fine.

So going by what you said, my advice would to be to check your alternator connection, if that's not the problem then i have no idea.

09sNST165
04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
I've had the exact same problem. I thought something was terribly wrong and what not, but fortunately for me it was just a loose connection to the alternator. The spark i was seeing, or the flame if you will, was just the connection jumping on and off the alternator surging it, luckily it only did this once or twice before i checked top to bottom so my alt was fine.

So going by what you said, my advice would to be to check your alternator connection, if that's not the problem then i have no idea.

i had the radio cut out on me and my car was sputtering.......or actually hesitating ..... when i checked my wires on the battery one was loose, tightened it and everything was good. but i also dont own an alltrac either but it sounded the same.

also untighten ur neg. wire then put your positive wire on and tighten it then put on your neg. wire.

its been so long since my battery was in the stock location i didnt even think of that. lol

Thank for everyone input! I figured out the problem today. Went and checked the battery, and the rubber piece on the bottom of the connector was off and the connector was rubbing up against the metal bar that holds the fuses. So i removed the connector and rotated it around, put the rubber piece back on the bottom of the connector as best as I could, and WOO, she was running fine. I even took and shook the battery around some, well what little i could with the tie down on, and nothing touched. I'm very relieved it was nothing major. I guess the anti-lock light came on because the car battery was drained for a second with the connector touching, and when you first start the car up, all the lights come on. Drove it around a bit today after I did the fix and it runs great! Again, thanks for everyones help!

RedRkt01
04-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah, that'll happen. The Red Rocket almost went up in flames back in 2001 or 2002 after some Toyota Techs accidentally busted some rubber off of the battery tie down. I was driving around with some of the same issues and happened to be near the dealer when the engine bay caught fire. I literally coasted into the dealer lot with smoke pouring through the hood seams. The techs put it out with extinguishers.

187flatliner
04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Thank for everyone input! I figured out the problem today. Went and checked the battery, and the rubber piece on the bottom of the connector was off and the connector was rubbing up against the metal bar that holds the fuses. So i removed the connector and rotated it around, put the rubber piece back on the bottom of the connector as best as I could, and WOO, she was running fine. I even took and shook the battery around some, well what little i could with the tie down on, and nothing touched. I'm very relieved it was nothing major. I guess the anti-lock light came on because the car battery was drained for a second with the connector touching, and when you first start the car up, all the lights come on. Drove it around a bit today after I did the fix and it runs great! Again, thanks for everyones help!

thats what were here for......i find it so much easier to answer something when i've had the same problem before even tho mine was a slightly different soultion

The Captain
04-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Please send check or money order to. . .

Glad you found it!