PDA

View Full Version : Painting your car on your own?

ilmatic
04-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I've been hearing around that you can paint your car as long as you have the equipment, and patience..

joe's gt
04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Depends on how good of a job you want. For a professional look, you are going to need a spray gun and air compressor. For a "decent" finish, you could use base and clear rattle cans or there was a thread on here once about actually using a roller. Body work is where all the work is really at. You will need to spend countless hours with sanding and bondo.

DudeMan
04-10-2010, 04:11 AM
I'm planning to paint my car myself in a few months.

It's A LOT of work and easily one of the most daunting parts of my project.

Google it and read until your eyes hurt, then read up some more.

You will need a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) spray gun and decent sized air compressor. Plus patience and elbow grease, 90% is prep work.

Some have had good luck using a roller believe it or not.

Someone on here just recently painted his red 185, I can't remember his user name at the moment though.

Physlis
04-10-2010, 04:50 AM
I did mine about a year ago, did it right in my driveway over a weekend. Does it look amazing? not so much, but the car is one color. I didn't really put a whole lot of time into it though and bought a compressor that was waaayy too small.

All I did was go buy the paint (I think a gallon), a gun and a compressor, and borrowed all the plastic and tape to mask stuff off from work. Gave the car a quick wash, let it dry while I mixed the paint and let the compressor chage. Unfortunately the compressor I got only let me spray for about 30 seconds at a time. Did the whole car in about 3 hours (1 coat, but it was a little heavy but no runs), let it dry overnight into the next afternoon and touched up the spots I missed. Had I taken my time and put a bit more work/more coats into it, it probably would have turned out better but my goal was to make it one color, not be perfect. I also didn't clear coat it, I hear there's a little more skill needed for that so you don't get stripes.

Check out my cardomain page (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2642726), I got all the pics there.

DudeMan
04-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I did mine about a year ago, did it right in my driveway over a weekend. Does it look amazing? not so much, but the car is one color. I didn't really put a whole lot of time into it though and bought a compressor that was waaayy too small.

All I did was go buy the paint (I think a gallon), a gun and a compressor, and borrowed all the plastic and tape to mask stuff off from work. Gave the car a quick wash, let it dry while I mixed the paint and let the compressor chage. Unfortunately the compressor I got only let me spray for about 30 seconds at a time. Did the whole car in about 3 hours (1 coat, but it was a little heavy but no runs), let it dry overnight into the next afternoon and touched up the spots I missed. Had I taken my time and put a bit more work/more coats into it, it probably would have turned out better but my goal was to make it one color, not be perfect. I also didn't clear coat it, I hear there's a little more skill needed for that so you don't get stripes.

Check out my cardomain page (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2642726), I got all the pics there.

So you didn't do any sanding?

ilmatic
04-10-2010, 09:16 PM
well i got a sander so it will shave some time off :) ill probably try it after researching.. ill keep you guys posted

Physlis
04-10-2010, 09:25 PM
So you didn't do any sanding?

Nope, granted most of the major defects had been worked on by my dad while I was over in Italy so it was all realtively smooth. Just washed, taped, and shot. I probably laid it on a little thicker than normal too (I started late and worked into the night), probably has 2 coats worth in one pass. Definitely has some orange peel going on, but I personally think it adds character.

Like I said though, my goal was to make it one color, not be perfect. I couldn't handle the red/green/primer anymore.

ChrisD
04-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Someone on here just recently painted his red 185, I can't remember his user name at the moment though.

Nitro_Alltrac. Here's his project thread: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43404