PDA

View Full Version : Speed source poly motor mounts

4thgenceli
04-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I can't seem to find the ratings on the speed source site.

I still want poly mounts for the front & rear of my swap. I'm curious as to the shore rating of the mounts speed source makes for the st165/185. Does anyone know these by chance? I emailed them a few days back and have no response yet :(

Figure I'll order them, as well as the brass shifter bushings at the same time.

grayscale
04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Why not try Kirkosaurus? I used his and they are very nice.

sodap0p
04-09-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_77&products_id=215

75A for the only ones available through Twosrus, I ordered these too. Im still waiting on stock for the wideband A/F before he sends them all to me.

4thgenceli
04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Why not try Kirkosaurus? I used his and they are very nice.
I'll email him.

The ones I was originally planning on were shore65, so the speed source ones are a bit firmer. I'm curious to see what his shore ratings are.

Whats odd is twosrus sells the speedsource products for a bit less than speed source's site. Go figure.

RIalltrac
04-09-2010, 06:12 PM
the problem with kirks inserts are that they still rely on the old mount, so if your material is way past shot your really not getting the full benefit of a "poly" bushing, as only half of the material in the bushing is actually poly. I've never been impressed with the concept of his inserts...I'm sure they work, but your really not getting the full effect of what most people are after.

sodap0p
04-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Twosrus has amazing prices. David has been a pleasure to deal with, great communication, very fast shipping, even to Canada.

ChrisD
04-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Why not fill your own?

Twosrus has amazing prices. David has been a pleasure to deal with, great communication, very fast shipping, even to Canada.

werd. twosrus rocks.

4thgenceli
04-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Why not fill your own?

werd. twosrus rocks.
I would, but the mounts I have are shot to hell already.

Kirk replied, his are ShoreA 85.

4thgenceli
04-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Sodap0p, I did, but something came up due to unforeseeable circumstances on all 3 parties I had to defer my purchase.

Anyway, I ended up buying the parts from speed-source directly, I was looking at a $1.25 difference between from them and other sites. Should have them in a week, and can get em installed.

I think I will try to fill the east/west mounts myself. If I fudge it up, I'll buy new mounts.

CriScO
04-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Teh ladies love the speed source mounts. Especially at idle. :hehe:

vip09
04-13-2010, 04:03 AM
+1 for Speed-Source mounts. They worked great in my Alltrac!

v8killer
04-15-2010, 01:58 AM
+2 they are awesome

Teh ladies love the speed source mounts. Especially at idle. :hehe:

OMG just saw that hahahahaha thats too funny. someone mentioned that once in my car when i got them ;)

vangls14
04-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Dude, I'd much rather get new OEM (or reusable second-hand) rubber mounts if you can afford them. It's not like having rock solid mounts will help your car perform THAT much better. While they DO make your car "feel" more sporty, you'll just end up with weird rattles and a hella shaky car at idle and in certain rpm ranges. Trust me, I have Kirk poly inserts in my Celica and my brother has them in his SW20.

4thgenceli
04-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Dude, I'd much rather get new OEM (or reusable second-hand) rubber mounts if you can afford them. It's not like having rock solid mounts will help your car perform THAT much better. While they DO make your car "feel" more sporty, you'll just end up with weird rattles and a hella shaky car at idle and in certain rpm ranges. Trust me, I have Kirk poly inserts in my Celica and my brother has them in his SW20.
Really?

joe's gt
04-15-2010, 07:45 AM

:lolwtf:

4thgenceli
04-15-2010, 07:55 AM
:lolwtf:
:agree:

4thgenceli
04-15-2010, 08:35 AM

It's not a matter of cost. It's more a matter of I don't want to constantly replace my mounts over and over due.

It's been shown that semi-solid or solid motor mounts help to reduce engine movement, and transfer that power eventually to the transmission/driveaxles/wheels.

Solid mount also aid in eliminating/reducing wheel hop which isn't so kind to transmissions.

vangls14
04-15-2010, 05:08 PM
My mistake. I didn't know that you regularly use your Celica in competitive driving to actually want longevity, fear damaging your transmission, and need to extract all the power to the ground as you can. I guess in my DD and my brother's street car (SW20), I feel that the car isn't pushed to the point where the mounts would actually make a difference. We just drive to Wal-Mart and shiet around town so it's not worth getting extra rattles and vibrations.

4thgenceli
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
My mistake. I didn't know that you regularly use your Celica in competitive driving to actually want longevity, fear damaging your transmission, and need to extract all the power to the ground as you can. I guess in my DD and my brother's street car (SW20), I feel that the car isn't pushed to the point where the mounts would actually make a difference. We just drive to Wal-Mart and shiet around town so it's not worth getting extra rattles and vibrations.
I figured.. since I doubled the power, the 20 year old mounts won't hold up any more. That paired with a LSD transmission, yeah mounts would be chewed up in no time.

Mounts & bushings came in today..sleep, concert, work, then maybe I can put them in.

4thgenceli
04-21-2010, 07:53 AM
So in case anyone's curious, installing the mounts isn't too bad if you have air tools.

Speed source provides some instructions, but it doesn't quite go as easy as they say. They advise to use a hacksaw to cut the metal lining around the mount, which works. However, the mount part doesn't just 'slide out' as they say.

I had to mount the mounts in a vice, then took an air chisel with a flat blade and blunt tip and worked around the edges to break it loose and it popped out.

sodap0p
04-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the tips! Mine arrived yesterday, with my gauges. Today I got my cap, rotor and wires from Lithia Toyota for the MR2! YAY! :happy dance:

CriScO
04-22-2010, 05:27 AM
I had to mount the mounts in a vice, then took an air chisel with a flat blade and blunt tip and worked around the edges to break it loose and it popped out.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

My front one actually did pop right out. I had to do the same with the rear though.

4thgenceli
04-22-2010, 05:38 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

My front one actually did pop right out. I had to do the same with the rear though.
Yeah the front wasn't 'too' bad, but was still a bitch. The rear though was hopeless. I almost broke out the blowtorch to roast it out.

KoreanJoey
04-22-2010, 06:03 AM
Be prepared to re-secure your lower core support...

My car:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs256.snc1/10322_169224713800_533313800_2683773_3538259_n.jpg

4thgenceli
04-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Looks like you have some solid crossmember bushings also correct?

Wouldn't that just increase the stress? I'm not planning on replacing those bushings with anything firmer than stock at all.

KoreanJoey
04-22-2010, 08:14 AM
It does, I think more than the bushings my 6 puck clutch in combination with the poly motor mounts was mostly to blame. Oh, and ProSolos on sticky hoosiers and hankook race rubber.

4thgenceli
04-22-2010, 08:26 AM
It does, I think more than the bushings my 6 puck clutch in combination with the poly motor mounts was mostly to blame. Oh, and ProSolos on sticky hoosiers and hankook race rubber.
I was thinking about that in the back of my mind. Autocross, poly mounts, solid crossmember bushings, something's gotta give :P

I'm not planning on autocrossing or anything serious, so I don't think I have too much to worry about.