PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Gift/Personal payments

baktasht
04-09-2010, 01:58 AM
With the addition of PayPal's new personal payments option that allow you to send money without the receiver getting charged with fees lots of new fraud has started to come about. Just an FYI to all of our fellow MR2'ers, if you get asked by a seller to send payment as gift or as a personal payment, be very cautious. This makes it extremely difficult for you to file any sort of dispute because PayPal sees it as you basically just sending money to someone, but not in exchange for any sort of product or service. Unless you have dealt with the seller before or you trust them very much, do not send payments in the form of gift or personal payments through PayPal.

Just a word of warning. I've heard plenty of stories from my customers regarding how they got screwed over by sending payments like this.

Regards,
Baktash

Luni
04-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Yeah, Im all about avoiding paypal fees, especially with someone I know and trust, but I wont do it to someone I dont know.

joe's gt
04-09-2010, 02:51 AM
great info. fraud is all over the place nowadays with technology. its sad. thanks for the heads up.

Maruki-kun
04-09-2010, 02:56 AM
this is how Luni screwed me over for $45,000 SEND MY MONIES BACK!

baktasht
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
There's actually vendors in MR2 land that are requiring this for some of their transactions. I'm not saying they're not trustworthy. But the cost of doing business is the cost of doing business. No business anywhere should require a buyer to send the payment as "gift". If they do, go to someone else. It's just too risky.

4thgenceli
04-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Im all about avoiding paypal fees, especially with someone I know and trust, but I wont do it to someone I dont know.
I second this.

If I know the person, have done business with them before without issues, I will send as gift.

Otherwise, they pay the fees.

KM
04-10-2010, 03:28 AM
On here, I'm game for sending money as a gift. But I also know that I wield a ban-hammer and if they want to keep their access, they won't rip me off.

187flatliner
04-14-2010, 08:17 AM
On here, I'm game for sending money as a gift. But I also know that I wield a ban-hammer and if they want to keep their access, they won't rip me off.

but couldn't they just relist in a new name.......not that im saying it but thats why i wont do alot of business on all-trac...someone tried to rip me of 400 bucks and he hasnt logged on and i feel that maybe he just relisted new info and started fresh.....i realize tho it would be very hard not to get noticed.

i wouldnt do business that way unless i knew the person or had done business with them in the past.....i won a dispute by paypals way and i wont cross them boundaries.

3sgelevin
04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
i just learned that recently also

With the addition of PayPal's new personal payments option that allow you to send money without the receiver getting charged with fees lots of new fraud has started to come about. Just an FYI to all of our fellow MR2'ers, if you get asked by a seller to send payment as gift or as a personal payment, be very cautious. This makes it extremely difficult for you to file any sort of dispute because PayPal sees it as you basically just sending money to someone, but not in exchange for any sort of product or service. Unless you have dealt with the seller before or you trust them very much, do not send payments in the form of gift or personal payments through PayPal.

Just a word of warning. I've heard plenty of stories from my customers regarding how they got screwed over by sending payments like this.

Regards,
Baktash