PDA

View Full Version : Can't get rotor off! Help

Jay
04-08-2010, 05:23 PM
So my right rear brake caliper is seized and I need to replace it. I am tearing into it anyways, so I figure I may as well get the rotor turned even though it looks and feels ok. I removed the caliper and caliper bracket, but the rotor will not pull off. I have wacked it with my tire iron a few times but it still wont budge. I pulled the rubber plug out that is for the e-brake, but I don't know what I am looking for to release the the e-brake. I don't think the e-brake is holding it on though since the rotor spins freely. Am I missing something here...extra bolts, pins, or anything? Is there a "how to" tutorial for changing brakes, calipers, and rotors that somebody could point me to?

Thanks,
Jay

ChrisD
04-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Just to be sure, your e-brake lever is down correct? Other than that, theres not much to be holding it on. Could just be rusty or something...a rubber mallet is best, just keep tapping it as you spin it around until it pops free.

I've done some less recommended techniques in the past, involving a scissor jack...but I don't recommend that...

Make sure the e-brake is off first!

Jay
04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
E-brake was definitely off. lol I ended up using a BFH and it came off on about the 5th or 6th tap. You were right, it was just corroded and I was worried I was missing something. Thanks

85gtsblackman
04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
for future referce there should be 2 threaded holes on the "hat" part of the rotor, take 2 bolts that fit those threads and tighten them evenly with a wrench

4thgenceli
04-09-2010, 03:14 AM
for future referce there should be 2 threaded holes on the "hat" part of the rotor, take 2 bolts that fit those threads and tighten them evenly with a wrench
This is the 'correct' way to remove them.

IIRC they're M8x1.25 bolts. You thread one in each hole, and slowly tighten each one (going back and forth). It'll pop the rotor off.

85gtsblackman
04-09-2010, 04:40 AM
yeah ill need to go to ace and pick some more of those up, i lost the 3 i had over the years

Galcobar
04-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Easy way to find replacements: they're the same size and threading as the bolts which hold the caliper to the caliper bracket.

4thgenceli
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Easy way to find replacements: they're the same size and threading as the bolts which hold the caliper to the caliper bracket.
Or any 10mm bolt on the car :P

Last time I did the brakes I grabbed a few 10mm bolts from the engine bay that were quick to access.

KoreanJoey
04-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Um... they usually have 12mm heads.

not12listen
04-24-2010, 05:53 PM
PB Blaster helps too... spray it over the face of the top hat of the rotor, then tap the rotor a few times all around the outside. helps to break stuff loose.

and yes, 12mm bolts. :)