PDA

View Full Version : A better Sun Visor??

mike325ci
04-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Has anyone here done anything to their sun visors to make it better? I don't like how crummy it is-- esp. since it's covered in cloth material and it's beginning to sag after all these years... Most sun visors these days are covered in vinyl.

Are there aftermarket replacements? (or something from a newer Toyota or other car that would just swap/fit?)

If not, I am thinking of these options:
1) Replacing the cloth with vinyl (or leather?). Rip it out, cover it back up. It'll be a lot of work.
2) Fabricate one from scratch. You can trim an MDF I suppose, and upholster it, carry over the mounting hardware... At that point, I'd put in a mirror as well for both sides. If feeling ambitious, a lighted mirror (taken from a car that has a lighted mirror).

Thoughts?

...Funny, I did a search for sun visors and nothing really comes up. I guess no one really cares or thinking about this stuff, lol... The only thing I see from a Google search are replacement sun visors with built-in LCDs and stuff, which I don't care about-- I just want something a little bit better than stock.

GTAsian
04-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm also looking for a sun visor for my hatch.

ChrisD
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Interesting. I've never thought of it, but could be a nice project.

My preference would be to disassemble the stock one and re-upholster in whatever material you like. Adding things like the mirror and a light wouldn't be too tough either.

Go for it.

mike325ci
04-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah, it would be a nice weekend project when you have nothing better to do, I suppose.

I just thought of this re: swapping the visors: one problem with sun visors these days (in the USA) is that they have those huge ugly airbag warning text baked into the vinyl-- not even a sticker... >< i suppose sourcing JDM or Euro (does the EU have airbag warning sticker requirements too?) ones is one answer...

GTAsian, I am talking about the flip sun visor that is inside the car, one for each front passenger; not the rear hatch JDM plastic visor. Like so: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-07-Cadillac-CTS-CTS-V-OEM-LH-RH-Sun-Visors-Homelink_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483a03d90eQQit emZ310210976014QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5 fAccessories (this one has a lighted mirror AND a garage opener (homelink) -- pimpin! i wonder if these fit!)