PDA

View Full Version : Celica Newbie from a Subie

Chevarian113
04-08-2010, 03:49 AM
Hello all!

New to the Celica world, and still technically don't own a one, but will be helping someone with their newly purchased ST185 Alltrac. I drive an 07 WRX with basic stage 2 mods. Here to learn and meet some cool people.

I've been a HUGE fan of MR2 turbos and Alltracs for years, so am excited to have one basically in the family to tinker with finally.

The car is in great shape, and needs minor work to the body and suspension. Engine seems to run strong, and has a rebuilt stock turbo 5k miles ago. Should be a fun project to have. Initial intentions are to get the basic maintenance items done (inner tie rods, CV joints, fluids, bushings, etc), rebuild the suspension, and some paint, then maybe way down the road start improving the power and handling.

I will post pics this weekend when I have some time.

sodap0p
04-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Hi Chevarian113, I'm happy to meet you!

Shadowlife25
04-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Welcome aboard!

Get your friend to sign up as well. If it's his car, he should take interest as well ;)

joe's gt
04-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Welcome to the boards! Working on an st185 will give you much more valuable experience than your subie. You don't wanna know how I feel about wrx's. lol. Don't get me wrong, they are an unbelievable all-around car, but they are incredibly over-played in my area and there is no challenge in modding them. But if you want easy, bolt on power with built in incredible handling and room for people, it is impossible to find a better car.

However, I think you will find your st185 a bit more challenging and personally I think you will get more satisfaction out of the work you put into that car.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try to use the search function or look around the tech archives for answers before you post a question. Have fun with your 'trac!

Chevarian113
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the boards! Working on an st185 will give you much more valuable experience than your subie. You don't wanna know how I feel about wrx's. lol. Don't get me wrong, they are an unbelievable all-around car, but they are incredibly over-played in my area and there is no challenge in modding them. But if you want easy, bolt on power with built in incredible handling and room for people, it is impossible to find a better car.

However, I think you will find your st185 a bit more challenging and personally I think you will get more satisfaction out of the work you put into that car.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try to use the search function or look around the tech archives for answers before you post a question. Have fun with your 'trac!

I agree completely on the downsides of the Rex, but that's exactly why I bought it. I debated buying an ST185 when I got the WRX, but elected for the WRX since I needed something more practical, and dependable for a daily, then would pick up a toy later. This later still hasn't come for me, but I will live vicariously through others.

I am sure he will join. We are both waiting on our approval (almost two weeks now) for memberships on Alltrac.net. Both of us have done quite a bit of reading up.

I am no stranger to car forums (AWDPirates.Net, NASIOC, and a couple of others), and definitely know how to search. :ohsnap:

Thanks for the welcome!

Slider
04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Welcome! My buddy has an 04 WRX. I think the most interesting mod he did was the uppipe, after getting it out it turns out the previous owner gutted the stock one already :11doh:

09sNST165
04-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Welcome aboard!

Get your friend to sign up as well. If it's his car, he should take interest as well ;)

I'm the friend! Just posted an into with some pics of the car...

Chevarian113
04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Just realized I put ST185 instead of 165... Oops.

Welcome! My buddy has an 04 WRX. I think the most interesting mod he did was the uppipe, after getting it out it turns out the previous owner gutted the stock one already :11doh:

BAHAHA! Job well done! No cat in my stock UP though. Makes it easier.