PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte swap w/ auto trans

Hookecho
04-08-2010, 03:01 AM
so i'm going to keep with the auto tranny. i had it rebuilt a while back and it only has 7000 miles on it. it just makes sense money wise for now.

so as far as i understand the the 90/91 auto WITH ECT and the 92/93 auto share ecu plugs with the 3SGTE. so does this mean i can just use my ecu? what is the reason for using the 3sgte ecu? will it operate with my auto trans?

joe's gt
04-08-2010, 03:25 AM
I can't imagine the 3sgte ecu is capable of controlling an auto tranny. I am assuming you would have to keep the 5s ecu for the tranny control. I am probably wrong tho.

Hookecho
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
it makes sense to me. if it works for a 5sfte then it should work for the 3sgte. that's my thinking anyway.

Lagos
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
A few people have tried this before and the auto trans simply cant hold the power and slips all the time.
Convert to a manual!

Smaay
04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
the Caldina is an auto, maybe get one of those...you can always sell that rebuilt tranny.

ChrisD
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Err...the 5sfe ECU is not sufficient for controlling the 3sgte engine. You could probably run two ECU's, one for the trans functions and one for the engine, but definitely not the 3sgte for the trans and def not the 5sfe for the engine.

Naemion
04-08-2010, 06:19 PM
This just sounds of fail, no offense. If I were to do this I can see all my tuner friends laughing their asses off at me.

METDeath
04-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Hook, if you want to stay with an auto trans, go with a 215 swap and convert it to FWD, I may play with the whole 5S-FTE thing on my auto, but only when I have another car to drive when the trans goes kaput.

celica9303
04-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Yeah the auto tranny for the 5s won't hold the power. If you want to stay auto go with the Gen4 swap with the auto fwd tranny that comes with it

zen
04-09-2010, 11:25 AM
the auto trans from a V6 solara/camry/es300 should work and should hold the power of the 3sgte. i don't think its been done before, but it would be pretty darn interesting. my st184 was an automatic and i swapped to manual and overall, i prefer the manual.

Hookecho
04-10-2010, 06:22 AM
i'm likely going to run my auto tranny. at least for a while. i'm really curious as to how it will workout. i know a lot of others are curious as well. a lot of people say it could handle the stock power and a lot say it can't. nobody can back it up with proof. i'm sure this is because nobody has tried and the ones who did probably never told it....who knows. i will have to go to the dyno and find out how much power the auto trans might rob. i don't see it losing much at all. some say it would be 30% but that is just silly. you could lose a cylinder and not lose that much power. maybe somewhere between 5-10% at most.

i have however talked with 2 toyota master techs from a dealership in town. they told me about a camry that they know of that has a 3sgte with an auto 5sfe tranny that comes into the shop for regular tune ups. they've driven the car and say it's quite impressive. it is all stock with an intercooler and 15psi. so they say. they are going to try to find out the guys name and number so that i can talk with him. if this is true i want to see it with my own eyes.

i have no doubt that i will eventually swap to a 5 speed. the local junky wants $700 for an s54 with all the trimmings. it's going to be at least 5 months before i can spend that. i've already set aside $2500 for the swap and the wife is holding me to it until some other things get done. the motor cost me $1550. if i tear the auto trans up then maybe i can swap sooner than i want to. i could just let the car sit until i can afford the trans swap but i'm impatient.

joe's gt
04-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I am still with Chris on the fact that I think you will need the 5s ecu to control the tranny. Also, have you searched car-part.com for a tranny. $700 is outrageous.

Hookecho
04-10-2010, 03:50 PM
yeah, i'm going use my auto ecu to control the trans and the 3sgte ecu for everything else. i am gonna shop around for the 5 speed. i might can go to pull-a-part and get it cheaper.

carparts.com has them from $450. that's just the trans.

METDeath
04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
pull a part is something like $50-60 bucks, iirc and the way to go, then maybe have that trans rebuilt.

Lagos
04-11-2010, 05:25 PM
i'm likely going to run my auto tranny. at least for a while. i'm really curious as to how it will workout. i know a lot of others are curious as well. a lot of people say it could handle the stock power and a lot say it can't. nobody can back it up with proof. i'm sure this is because nobody has tried and the ones who did probably never told it....who knows. i will have to go to the dyno and find out how much power the auto trans might rob. i don't see it losing much at all. some say it would be 30% but that is just silly. you could lose a cylinder and not lose that much power. maybe somewhere between 5-10% at most.

i have however talked with 2 toyota master techs from a dealership in town. they told me about a camry that they know of that has a 3sgte with an auto 5sfe tranny that comes into the shop for regular tune ups. they've driven the car and say it's quite impressive. it is all stock with an intercooler and 15psi. so they say. they are going to try to find out the guys name and number so that i can talk with him. if this is true i want to see it with my own eyes.

i have no doubt that i will eventually swap to a 5 speed. the local junky wants $700 for an s54 with all the trimmings. it's going to be at least 5 months before i can spend that. i've already set aside $2500 for the swap and the wife is holding me to it until some other things get done. the motor cost me $1550. if i tear the auto trans up then maybe i can swap sooner than i want to. i could just let the car sit until i can afford the trans swap but i'm impatient.

Its been done before. Search these forums as well as 6gc.net and youll find people who have tried it, only to regret doing it.
You can get a s54 used for about 300bucks on 6gc.
Id say wait and just do it right the first time.