PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

ice_cold1959
04-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Hello, and boy am I glad I found this site!
I was one of the lucky ones in 89 to buy a NEW All Trac, but insurance and the police decided I could not keep it...lol
So now that I am older and wiser, I am looking to get another.
Have a couple in the area, both kind of rusty, but fixable. One has had a newer engine installed, he said its a 3s-gte, but it has what looks like an air to air inter-cooler on top. Other than none of the gauges work except for the gas gauge, its not bad. But after doing some reading, the second one, which other than a timer is stock, is the way to go....better to start where I know than jump into somebody else's problem.
So its off to do more reading, and learning.
As a side note, I live in Alberta, Canada, if anyone knows of a All Trac for sale, give me a heads up....I know that members usually have inside info that others never see...lol

Cheers and have a good one!
Mike

Hookecho
04-08-2010, 03:04 AM
good luck with the hunt and welcome aboard.

CriScO
04-08-2010, 05:28 AM
1st gen 3S-GTE's(88-89) had the WTA intercooler, second gens(90-93) had the ATA(except for the RC version). Sounds like it was swapped with a newer motor.

Welcome aboard.

ice_cold1959
04-09-2010, 12:01 AM
How hard is it to get the gauges to work?
Looks like cruise control is also missing. as there is a big open area on the passenger side.
Here is a link to the engine.

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100329/922r7/2883c25_20.jpeg

UtahSleeper
04-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Depends on why they dont work. Did the owner screw with the wires? Fuses? etc.....

That is a second gen motor from what I can see, unless he swapped the ic from a 2nd to a first. Is the car a 165 or 185?

If that is a second gen motor and he swapped the harness, that could be a reason for the gauges not working. That could be a pain to track down.

Also, here is another source you will want.
http://www.alltrac.net/forum/

ice_cold1959
04-09-2010, 07:03 PM
its a St165 I do believe...88 all trac.
The engine was swapped in, it starts and runs fine, just no gauges.
Starting to think the cost difference, between the DD one and this one is justifyable.

UtahSleeper
04-10-2010, 07:08 AM
It probably is the wise choice. From what I remember reading you have to cut/splice into the cabin harness to make the 2nd gen harness work. Just wish I had the link on doing that swap.

ice_cold1959
04-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Any ideas on how or where to find the wiring diagrams? I am thinking that the car might be worth the effort.
I am not concerned with cruise control or air conditioning. But need working gauges for inspection.
So if I understand correctly, the speedo and the tach and other guages are electronic not analog?
I cant seem to find any info on the wiring of this, but it appears alot of people have done it.

ice_cold1959
04-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Okay, found the diagrams...guess its time to study.....