PDA

View Full Version : How to drive stick

ilmatic
04-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Hello im new here, i recently got a celica st205 and i cannot drive it til i can drive standard :(
i've been driving for a year now and i just need to learn how to drive sick.
thanks everyone

acidice333
04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Just bring the GT4 to the parking lot and hop in :)

Physlis
04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome and good luck!

Learning isn't too hard, you can pick up the basics and be competent in a few hours, maybe less.

Cavanagh
04-08-2010, 12:02 AM
It's something you have to do, not read about really. My "Basic" advice would be:
-Push clutch to the floor in 1st gear.
-Then, slowly let off the clutch until the cars RPMs start to drop, then push it all the way back in. (This is the clutch release point)
-Now, give it gas to about 1,500RPM and Slowly let off the clutch, (as soon as it starts to move, the RPMs will lower and bit so give it a little more gas)
-Drive.

To shift: Let off gas fully, push down clutch fully, go into desired gear, then apply gas while you let off the clutch.

It will take some practice, but you will get the hang of it. Also, find a friend who knows how to drive manual to assist you.
Hope this helps.
P.S. Sick car!

joe's gt
04-08-2010, 12:23 AM
The only thing you EVER have to remember when driving a stick is if you feel out of control or get stressed or panic...CLUTCH IN and BRAKE! Once you learn to start from first gear your golden. Make sure you learn on flat ground. Once you got that down, you can try to start from a stop on a hill.

sodap0p
04-08-2010, 01:22 AM
I noticed you're in Canada, if you live in Calgary, I would lend a hand, come show you.

car
04-08-2010, 01:52 AM
"To shift: Let off gas fully, push down clutch fully, go into desired gear, then apply gas while you let off the clutch."

Comically, my friend who has been driving a V8 manual mustang for about a year and a half STILL doesn't do this. He drove my car and was wondering why it slowed down every time he shifted....I told him, he got confused....

Good luck with learning how to drive a standard transmission! Hopefully you have somebody close to you that can teach you, it makes it a lot easier.

ilmatic
04-08-2010, 01:53 AM
thanks for the replies, and the advice.. really appreciate it.
and i live in vancouver,bc :)

Okctrd
04-08-2010, 02:51 AM
yea try to get someone that knows help you, i would first try to get the hang of it on a large empty parking lot. good luck

ilmatic
04-08-2010, 05:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B59-pWSPoZU&feature=related

thats the video i memorized

ChrisD
04-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Oh and you know, you must post pics immediately. Just by the way. :P

Welcome!

Shadowlife25
04-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Oh and you know, you must post pics immediately. Just by the way. :P

Welcome!

Welcome, and agreed, photos are a must! :)

I would also like to add that the video you linked is a very good tutorial for a beginner.

4thgenceli
04-08-2010, 06:38 AM
The first couple times you'll stall. Don't worry, it happens to everyone. Try not to over-rev the engine before letting out the clutch, evenutally this will cause damage to driveline parts (axles/tires/trans/cutch/etc).

goretro77
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Nice to see a thread like this, I thought its becoming a lost art with many drivers. Please let us know how its going. Learn not to "clutch ride" early on.

ilmatic
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Love the community here, the car isn't starting because it hasn't been used for a year and a half.... my dad said if it's too much to repair then he is just gonna get rid of it :( and i just got attached to the car after doing research up on it.

also, when the car does start at what rpm's / km's should you shift at?

Boycott!Swagger
04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
shifting from gear to gear is kinda like instinct. If you're driving like a normal person, then you shift when it feels right. I never really use my rpms, which could be bad or whatever, i go by engine sound pitch to judge shifting and such.

Eventually you will develop your own way of driving a stick, everyone does it a little different, atleast thats what i've gathered. Good luck!

ice_cold1959
04-08-2010, 11:25 PM
As a side note...remember to push in the clutch when stopping, i.e at the lights...dont know how many times I have seen people forget this and stall out.

ilmatic
04-08-2010, 11:40 PM
As a side note...remember to push in the clutch when stopping, i.e at the lights...dont know how many times I have seen people forget this and stall out.

don't you just push the clutch in when downshifting or putting it to N? and you let go when you stop?

DudeMan
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Technically you should remain in gear at all times for safety reasons.

So when your sitting at a light you should be in 1st gear with the clutch pedal depressed.

The one thing I don't like about standard (and I've come across this with several vehicles) is that one speed between 1st and 2nd gear where your not quite going fast enough to shift into 2nd but your not quite going slow enough to shift into 1st.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I usually just lug the engine down and go into 2nd since its such a pain in the ass to go into 1st for a split second and then upshift.

ilmatic
04-09-2010, 12:08 AM
i thought pressing the clutch down when it isnt needed is bad for it and will wear it out faster....

DudeMan
04-09-2010, 12:30 AM
It IS needed though.

Lets say your at a red light in neutral, some asshole high as kite rear ends you doing 60K/h and you fly into the intersection. This is when the second car will T bone you.

You can avoid the T boning by having your car in gear like its supposed to be. Instead of rolling into the intersection you will probably take your foot off the clutch, it will stall and the wheels will lock up because its in gear.

Just avoid resting your foot on the pedal while driving, that WILL cause excessive wear.

EDIT: The above is worst case scenario, where say your immediately knocked unconscious and can't push the brake pedal.

ilmatic
04-09-2010, 05:41 AM
k ill take your advice... thanks!

T-spoon
04-09-2010, 06:23 AM
The one thing I don't like about standard (and I've come across this with several vehicles) is that one speed between 1st and 2nd gear where your not quite going fast enough to shift into 2nd but your not quite going slow enough to shift into 1st.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I usually just lug the engine down and go into 2nd since its such a pain in the ass to go into 1st for a split second and then upshift.

Nope, RPMs don't scare me none. WHEEEE!

ilmatic
04-09-2010, 07:00 AM
so let me get this right...
when you are at a stoplight you stay in gear 1st/2nd instead of neutral?

Physlis
04-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Yea, not only will it keep you from going into traffic like Dudeman said, but if it's a long light, you won't look like a fool because you forgot to put it back in gear. I've done that a few times...

ilmatic
04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
k thanks for clearing it up.
is there any more tips?

Physlis
04-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Once you get the hang of it, I can only think of engine braking and rev-matching. Engine braking is just when you downshift and slowly let the clutch out to help you slow down.

Rev-matching adds to that; instead of letting the clutch out slow to engine brake, you tap the throttle with the clutch in so you can 'match' how much rpm you would need for a smooth transition into the lower gear and let off the clutch.

Example (and don't quote me on #s): if your in 4th gear and slowing down using engine braking; when you hit 2K rpm, put in the clutch, shift to 3rd and tap the throttle. When the tach says ~3K let the clutch out the whole way for a smooth downshift. That's about how my Celi does it, your's may be different depending on how it's geared. For rev-matching you just gotta feel it.

ilmatic
04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
i got a question, when you are down-shifting do you gotta put gas in?

Physlis
04-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Nope, only if you're trying to rev-match. It's pretty much just brakes and clutch otherwise, especially with the ability to engine-brake. If you let the clutch out your car will slow down more with each gear you drop.

ilmatic
04-09-2010, 08:18 AM
posted a picture in my pictures :)

187flatliner
04-15-2010, 08:23 AM
this is the way i learned to drive stick.......and dont laugh

my dad took me out to a deserted place and told me about how to lift off the clutch and press the gas pedal to get moving and how to press the clutch in to shift and gave me a real quick demo and then left me there to drive myself home.....took a few but i made it and i love driving sticks...wish i had ne rite now. btw i was ten and living in texas at the time.

and no he didnt just leave me there stranded.....(i thought so at the time) he followed me home but stayed outta sight i guess cuz i never saw me and he got home before me.

its easy once you got the basics down