PDA

View Full Version : One last exhaust question

Physlis
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Before I hit "BUY" and get an exhaust I'm not 100% sure on, let me ask your opinion.

First up is the dreaded Pacesetter Monza (http://www.streetsideauto.com/products.asp?ptid=3383&brand=BHJM&series=Exhaust%20System%20Kit&partnumber=88-1408&Skip=True&LookupType=YMM&Reset=True&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_term=GoogleShopping&utm_content=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping). I've heard good and bad about this one, so I won't rule it out. Decent price of ~$240 (w/mil. discount).

-or-

HKS Sport exhaust system (http://www.advancespeedshop.com/hks-sport-exhaust-8895-toyota-celica-gts-pn-lest14-p-3456.html). I's a cat-back (I asked about it) and not too much more ($344.00 but no mil. discount). I was told this one was good, but I haven't been able to find any sound clips.

I like both due to thier stock-ish appearance and they both will be much better than my current stock system. I'll be joining it up to the eBay header with a custom intake. I wan't to avoid ricer-tone exhausts as much as possible.

So. Which one would be most recommended

grayscale
04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Use the HKS to avoid rice sound for sure. It's tuned well, unlike the paceshitter which I'd be surprised if it's tuned at all.

RedRkt01
04-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Abso-friggiin-lutely get the HKS. Quality. Appearance. Sound. Performance. All better than anything else out there. That is my opinion.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I believe I promised a video clip of the Monza...

Now that I have unpacked my things from the move, I have my camera stuff. I'll go shoot a video for the 5th Gen Celica comparison. I bought the exhaust after I did a lot of research on flow, quality and sound. I didn't choose it not because it sounded amazing,but I because it sounded inconspicuous.

The people running it with the ricer-rasp are without a resonator. That part is tuned, and I use the one from Toyota. My only complaint is the new muffler is a lot smaller and lighter then the stock, and I had a hard time getting the rubber exhaust mount to hang right. I ended up bending the arm a bit. If I really cared, I would have adjusted the metal hangers that are attached to the frame.

I honestly need to sack up, grab my calculator and my pitch tuner and design a resonator tuned to my 5SFE. I only did this at work for 5 years, you would think I'd apply this to my personal life.

UndaGrwnD
04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
HKS

Terracar
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Honestly if you are going for a non ricey sound - both will give you that.

I had the monza on my GT and it was a small bit louder than stock, but was not ricey. It does sound strained at anything above 4k rpms. I ended up having an axle back made up out of 2/5" which oddly opened up more power past 5k rpms that I mated to the midpipe.

The monza requires federal emisions (or a car with a FED em front pipe) as the CA emissioned front pipe is shorter. I found this out the hard way on my CA Em Celica so had to buy a fed em fp.

The monza will burn the paint off in a month and unless you can get it welded (the midpipe is a 2 piece design with just a clamp to couple them) the monza will have leaks. The flanges for where it bolts together are piss poor and will leak unless you use copper or dead aluminum gaskets and even then will probably leak.

The monza is cheap - not disputing it, but it certainly does give a fair bit of gains over stock.

As for HKS - no experience.

My honest opinion would be the HKS. This is based on the fact that I am assuming the construction is solid and the entire system is bolt together rather than clamped with decent flanges. Besides you will spend the same getting proper gaskets and getting it welded up.

Oh and a side note - the monza muffler looks exactly like the GTS muffler (DTM) - not like the one pictured in the link.

-Terracar

andy
04-09-2010, 06:41 PM
paceshitter sucks a fat one. as in all there products.

RedRkt01
04-09-2010, 08:04 PM
paceshitter sucks a fat one. as in all there products.

I'm not flaming anyone's choice here, but I'm with andy. I refuse to sell their products.

Physlis
04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
^I remember you saying that when you got me the Megans. Only reason I've tried looking into the HKS.

My only concern with the HKS is that part# everywhere else seems to be a single tip instead of a dual like my stock one. The ones that are dual tipped are for corollas or much more expensive (like $200+). I'm trying to keep a stock look over a huge sewer pipe exhaust.

I'd like to get some sound clips of both, the one PS clip I found was real bad audio. Haven't found an HKS clips yet, and yes I did search youtube, lol.

RedRkt01
04-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll get you a dual tip P/N

grayscale
04-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Honestly if you are going for a non ricey sound - both will give you that.

I had the monza on my GT and it was a small bit louder than stock, but was not ricey...I ended up having an axle back made up...
Which is probably why it didn't sound ricey, but the op said he was going to put in an ebay header also which would be a bad combonation.

Really, the pacesetter just isn't worth spending money on regardless of sound.

RedRkt01
04-09-2010, 09:36 PM
HKS LES-T01. that is what I run on my ST162. Great product.

4thgenceli
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I've only heard bad reviews regarding the Pacesetter products. Poor welding, poor metal choice, poor paint, cracking, etc.

Sadly there's not a lot of options for the st16x chassis, however I found that theres numerous exhaust shops are able to build an exhaust system for less than $300. Recent quote I received by just explaining what I needed was $185 installed for a 3" exhaust built from downpipe back.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I've only heard bad reviews regarding the Pacesetter products. Poor welding, poor metal choice, poor paint, cracking, etc.

Sadly there's not a lot of options for the st16x chassis, however I found that theres numerous exhaust shops are able to build an exhaust system for less than $300. Recent quote I received by just explaining what I needed was $185 installed for a 3" exhaust built from downpipe back.

Exhaust work is fairly inexpensive. The exhaust is easily accessible. Bring them a good muffler and let them do the rest. I have seen some amazing setups done by a local shop for the same price a cat back would cost you plus shipping.

magman6969
04-13-2010, 05:22 AM
my hks sound awsome its the shit

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-13-2010, 05:53 AM
As for the GT-S, it is not getting a Pacesetter or an HKS. Instead I am going to a local exhaust shop with a Borla muffler and have an exhaust custom fitted.

grayscale
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
As for the GT-S, it is not getting a Pacesetter or an HKS. Instead I am going to a local exhaust shop with a Borla muffler and have an exhaust custom fitted.

Yep, that's really the best way to go.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Anyone know anything about Bosal? I have seen a number of exhausts on Porsches at the pull yard with them.

grayscale
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
^Quality parts, been around a long time. That's about all I know.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Shot this on my new Canon 5D Mark II. Unmolested video. I've noticed a few movies on Youtube sound a bit "bass enhanced". Anyways, for your comparing enjoyment:

The Pacesetter Monza on a N/A 5SFE with stock resonator and header (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXJ3HZpaRhc).

Would anyone be interested with the interior sound under load? I should grab a mic and mic the rear bumper and drive to give you the sound under load. The car sounds a little more deep when in gear. The Pacesetter is just a little louder then the twin-pipe OEM exhaust on the GT-S.

White 1990 Celica GT
05-01-2010, 06:59 AM
The Hks exhaust would sound great