PDA

View Full Version : Best Tools

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-07-2010, 05:04 AM
No, this isn't a contest for the mods...

I am talking hand tools, and not of the flesh variety. I destroyed another Craftsman tool today, and every time I go to get them replaced, I get one from China.

Do they make any decent tools in the USA?

Colossus20v
04-07-2010, 05:07 AM
I think there is a sub-forum for this type of question.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-07-2010, 05:11 AM
I think there is a sub-forum for this type of question.

Don't I have to be more appropriate on there?

donteatbugs
04-07-2010, 05:13 AM
at least you get it replaced for free

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-07-2010, 05:16 AM
at least you get it replaced for free

That is why I always buy with the guarantee. It just gets annoying constantly breaking sockets, wrenches and pliers. I'd rather the tool didn't explode while I was working on something. I don't like making that many trips to Sears. Besides, I get warm and fuzzy when I think about "Made in the USA".

grayscale
04-07-2010, 05:34 AM
See forum here- http://www.celicatech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99

But until Murg moves it-

I love my Husky tools, never have a problem with them and they have a good comfortable design. I gave up on Crapsman about 5 years ago when they started putting square edges on wrenches- wtf?

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-07-2010, 05:39 AM
My replacement breaker bar looks like it was extruded from the Iron Giant's ass. Forged by one armed orphans versus the vastly superior political prisoners. The notching in the head shows the extreme precision of a their mongoloid workforce.

KM
04-07-2010, 05:44 AM
I have two main tool sets. Craftsman and Great Neck. Yes, the one from Auto Zone. My GN set is chrome plated, and takes a lot of abuse. I have put them on air tools, thrown pieces, etc. I have yet to even see a ding in them.

donteatbugs
04-07-2010, 05:45 AM
i dont break many craftsman tools. i hate their rachets though. the profesional series is ok though. i use gear wrenches 90% of the time too. they carry the same warrenty as craftsman.

CriScO
04-07-2010, 05:59 AM
<----- Pondering a temp ban for the "tool" comment... :hehe:

4thgenceli
04-07-2010, 06:14 AM
See forum here- http://www.celicatech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99

But until Murg moves it-

I love my Husky tools, never have a problem with them and they have a good comfortable design. I gave up on Crapsman about 5 years ago when they started putting square edges on wrenches- wtf?
Or me :P

I usually stick with Craftsman. Yes I've broken them, but not often. It's more of using the right tool for the job :P

Last socket I broke was a normal 17mm, directly connected to an impact wrench trying to pull off a crank bolt. Obviously I should of used an impact socket, but I couldn't find one.

VikingJZ
04-07-2010, 06:50 AM
In my opinion, lots of stuff made here in the US is no longer quality.

Hell, they can't even label the stuff properly: Made in USA vs Made in THE USA

I like the latter, personally.

And our cars aren't even American, just branded.

My air tools are name brand shit:

--MAC air drill
--BluePoint die grinder
--IR impact
etc

I have lots of ChannelLock wrenches and sockets. The smaller ratchets blow balls, but my 1/2" is fine. Sockets are really good.

Lots of my spanners are Craftsman. Great stuff. Screwdrivers are Craftsman. My Torx drivers are Snap-On, and they're essential for working on a lot of Euro shit. Kind of pain at first but you get used to having everything be Torx though. The nice thing about Torx is that you rarely strip them.

I have never broken a Craftsman tool. I have however bent a few screw drivers and have had them all replaced free of charge.

I like Craftsman stuff.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
And our cars aren't even American, just branded.

I would buy tools from Japan. I just find so many things manufactured in China to be piss poor nowadays. I am tired of one manufacturing company making the same thing for 4-5 different labels.

The Stanley, Dewalt, Craftsman and Kobalt utility knives are all made by the same low quality factory in China.

Naemion
04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Pb blaster zip ties and duck tape are all you need!

METDeath
04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I use a mix of tools from from Craftsman, to no name crap from Harbor Freight/Northern Tools. Most of the stuff from Harbor Freight is stuff that doesn't have moving bits, like breaker bars and impact sockets... or my 18" adjustable wrench.

Blackcloud
04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
i use craftsman and matco.

wtf are you doing to break ratchets, wrenches, and how the fuck do you destroy pliers?

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
i use craftsman and matco.

wtf are you doing to break ratchets, wrenches, and how the fuck do you destroy pliers?

My Celica has personally eaten those. I broke the breaker bar, not the socket, on my drive-axle nut. Shattered the end, it was amazing. I got wise and stopped getting basic sockets, everything is impact grade.

Wrenches have been destroyed over stuck nuts and bolts all over the car. I soak the harder ones in PB Blaster, and give them a good scrub down with wire brushes. I haven't broken any open ended wrenches, these are all closed end wrenches that crack and break open.

I can't remember what I was trying to loosen with the pair of pliers, but the fulcrum pin sheered and I was left with two plier halves.