PDA

View Full Version : Advice- Painting a Bumper Cover

grayscale
04-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm going to be changing my bumper cover to one The Captain kindly gave me.
The cover is black and me car is gray, so I have three choices-
-leave it black and throw it on there=$0
-fill holes/scratches and paint it myself=$60-$70
-take it to a shop, local calls made=$200-$255

The last one really isn't an option, I don't the money for that, and that's a bit much IMO anyhow. I don't really want to leave it black, though I'm not sure I should waste the money on painting the darn thing since the rest of the body needs work too. Wish I could find the same cover in gray already, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

So let's say I decide to paint it myself. I have one 12oz. can base color, one 12oz. can clear, one 12oz. can sandable gray lacquer primer, and one pack of 3M Easy Finish Flexible Part and Bumper Repair filler putty stuff.

Here are my two questions-
1- Should I use Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter also
2- Do you paint a bumper cover the same as any other metal body part, or is there a different method due to the plastic nature of the material?

187flatliner
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
just throw it on there and roll with the flow for rite now

Maruki-kun
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Here are my two questions-
1- Should I use Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter also
2- Do you paint a bumper cover the same as any other metal body part, or is there a different method due to the plastic nature of the material?

1: Doesn't matter, if you prep it, it will stick. just make sure you take it down to the rubberish plastic underneath.
2: yup, it's all paint.

METDeath
04-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Or you could just get a few rattle cans of Krylon fusion and BOND the paint to the plastic :lolhitting:

Honestly though, why paint it twice? Just wait until you can afford to paint the whole car.

Slider
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Are you painting the whole car anytime soon? If yes I'd probably just leave it black and drive around with it looking unfinished for a little while. If you don't plan on painting the whole car soon I'd probably go DIY. It looks like you have all your supplies already so you might as well go ahead.

When I painted mine I sanded down the bumper, sprayed the adhesion promoter on any bare plastic. Then I hit it with the primer. If you're using rattle cans I would probably wet sand between coats if you don't want any orange peel. The cans should say how long you have to wait before wet sanding. If your base coat is metallic do not wet sand the base coat.

grayscale
04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
No, haven't bought any of it yet. Don't plan on having the body work done any time soon either, that one will cost me a good bit.

Slider
04-07-2010, 04:39 AM
I say do it then. Driving around with a black bumper just screams beater. If you wet sand between coats it will come out really good, it will just take time and elbow grease. Especially since it takes a couple days for the base coat to cure before you can wet sand it. So this will be done best when the bumper is off the car and you have a spot where it can dry. Driving around with a black bumper just screams beater. Plus it's kind of a fun learning experience, just wear a mask and be in a ventilated area or it will be a dizzy experience.

Primer doesn't take too long to cure but the base coat does. Soooo, base coat>2 day wait>wet sand>base coat>2 day wait> wet sand>clear coat>2 day wait> wet sand> clear coat> 2 day wait> wet sand> polish

If you take your time this will look better than new paint that comes out of the factory, since you will have virtually no orange peel, just a nice glossy flat finish. You can probably get away with just wet sanding the primer and then just wet sanding the clear coat at the end followed with a polish, skipping on the base coat wet sanding. If your paint is metallic definitely DO NOT wet sand the base coat.

grayscale
04-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I went and got some supplies today. I started sanding but I think I overlooked something- wax. As I sand I keep getting all these little fuzz things, seems like wax. I don't want to go out again to get something to strip it, and I really don't feel like spending the money on it. I have some stuff called Layout Dye Remover that I use for several things, it's main ingredients being acetone, toluene, and some other yummy stuff, in the form of an aerosol. So I tried that but it didn't seem to work, I dunno. Is it wax I'm running into or what?

KM
04-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I just fixed the tow hitch puncture today. I sanded it down with a 160 grit block, applied adhesion promoter, then some bondo, then sanded, primer, sanded, paint.

85gtsblackman
04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
you can strip wax with dishwashing detergent, its always worked for me

i woulda left it black, but you have seen my beater so yeah