PDA

View Full Version : Just arrived in the US of A

manu
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I've just arrived in Lincoln, Nebraska two month ago to complete my degree and now I'm feeling the itch to drive. Any suggestions as to what I should get and what's a good price? Something decently powerful and reliable. I'd get an All-Trac, but I need something 100% reliable. And after my experience with mine back home......An MR2 is tempting, but I need to also haul people and stuff around, so that's out.

Right now I'm looking at an maybe an old Impreza WRX or Legacy or if I'm very lucky, a Golf R32 Mk4. On the other end of the scale, I'm thinking going all american and getting a cheap Mustang or something. Price range: below $10,000 unless it's AMAZING, then maybe up to 15000, but that's very unlikely.

Or should I just look for an All-Trac? Anyone here from Nebraska or nearby?

Boycott!Swagger
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
a good newer wrx wouldn't be out of the question in that price range, i would guess 02 or something around those area's wouldn't be hard to find, im sure you already know but www.nasioc.com always has good cars up for sell.

cms-gt4
04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Alltracs can be reliable depending on how they are taken care of. If you find one that was properly maintained, mod free and not abused, then they are not an issue.

What part of MY are you from? My wife is from there. I spent last summer there. She is from Sitiwan.

manu
04-05-2010, 05:39 AM
No, I didn't know about nasioc. Thanks for pointing that out. So far I haven't gotten very serious about it. Just looking around Ebay. Is that a bad place to look? But I'll need a car during summer, so now's a good time to start. If anyone's selling a well taken care of Alltrac here, I'd be willing to get it.

Another really noob question. Do I need a car to get a full driver's license? This doesn't make much sense to me, cuz wouldn't I need a license to get a car?
I can borrow a friend's car, but they're all automatics.

cms-gt4, I'm from Johor, but I lived in PJ before I came here.

CriScO
04-05-2010, 05:42 AM
You have to bring a car for the driving test, it doesn't have to be yours.

joe's gt
04-05-2010, 06:02 AM
An early 2000 legacy would be a good option. Only a stock alltrac I would say COULD be reliable, but that is taking a chance. After all, it would be close to a 20 yr. old car. Any toyota r series engine would be very reliable as well.

The Captain
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
An alltrac is reliable if you spend a lot of money up front. A total restoration would yield a like new car, however your time line isn't conducive to that large a project. Prime examples are few and far between and getting more scarce by the day. With a $10K budget you could easily purchase a daily driver and a project car Alltrac. Once the Alltrac is complete you could sell the other.

Blackcloud
04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
duramax diesel

manu
04-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Well, that's the upper end of my budget. I guess I'll be getting something economical and reliable first before starting on any projects.

I can borrow someone else's car, but I don't know anyone with a manual. Guess I'll have to take the auto one first. Thanks for all the info.

cms-gt4
04-06-2010, 05:14 AM
In the US, you don't have to test for manual, unless something is different in that state. The US tests are far easier then those in Malaysia.

Blackcloud
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
you barely even have to test to get a license here.

i never took drivers ed, just went and took the test

Boycott!Swagger
04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Lol i had to take drivers ed, but it was like a 2 hour nap, and after i passed the class all i had to do was go in and show them the paper and theh handed me a liscense. That was years ago and in a small town in iowa, im sure lincoln is a little bit stiffer about who they give them too.

cms-gt4
04-07-2010, 12:29 AM
My drivers ed was a year of watching gory movies. It allowed me to get a drivers permit. I still had to take all the tests, though I only had to drive around the block and it was over. Every city handles it differently but it still should not be that bad for anyone.

BTW: I might be going back to MY this winter. I told the wife I would only go if we stop in Japan for a week.

andy
04-07-2010, 05:43 AM
i drove around a block and back and we was good to go

VikingJZ
04-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Manu, are you going to UofN? Husker nation FTW!

Subaru is a good option with good resale value.

manu
04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Okay, doesn't seem to difficult, then. Back home the most driving failures are due to starting the car with a manual tranny on a hill. Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'd probably be getting a car after paying for summer classes.

Blackcloud, I'd get a truck, but can't afford the gas. I really wanna get an MR2, but my friends'll kill me if I get a two seater.

VikingJZ, I'm indeed in UofN. woohoo! Doesn't seem to have much of a car scene here, though. Not that I know of, anyway.