PDA

View Full Version : Tail light leak

theorhetoric
04-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Have found a massive leak coming from my tail lights on my Celi anybody have any experience getting these off without destroying them?

Shadowlife25
04-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Remove the interior plastics in the rear trunk/hatch area.

Then you will see the retaining nuts for the tail lamps.

I believe they are 10mm in size.

Should be no problem to remove in tact. :)

187flatliner
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
i had to use a putty knife to get the gasket sealer off without damaging them. undo the screws and gently work the gasket off.

theorhetoric
04-06-2010, 08:01 PM
i had to use a putty knife to get the gasket sealer off without damaging them. undo the screws and gently work the gasket off.

Aye.. I knew about the nuts but that gasket is what was killing me.. also what should I reseal them with? Silicone caulk?

RedRkt01
04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm a purist so I used Toyota sealant. And unlike many folks that have tried to fix this problem, I have no leaks. Same goes for rear quarter windows.

BTW....the lenses are not hard to get off. Pry from side to side with your fingers. When it starts backing off, grasp from the middle of the lense at the top and bottom edges and pull directly and straight to the rear of the car.

09sNST165
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Ahhh.... I am having this same problem, Guess I will go out and buy the Toyota Sealant this weekend when I attempt to fix this...

The Captain
04-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Stop topping off your blinker fluid!

Toyota Sealant rocks. Good luck!

Rick89GTS
10-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Rubber butyl tape works, and IIRC, that's the same thing as the Toyota sealant.

theorhetoric
01-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Revive!! Went to my local dealer recently and asked for Toyota sealant and they looked at me like I was crazy..

Galcobar
01-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Ask for FIPG (form-in-place-gasket). If they don't know what that is, turn around and run out the door, unless you have no other choice.

JDMjosh
02-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I dunno how far along you are with this, but if you want to dis-assemble the housing to do a proper repair, put it in the oven at 100* for like five minutes (use a cookie sheet). keep a close eye on it!... but leave it in just long enough that you can pry the pieces apart with ease.

Worked like a charm on my front corners.

Galcobar
02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Might want to specify Farenheit or Celcius scale on that recommendation.

JDMjosh
02-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Might want to specify Farenheit or Celcius scale on that recommendation.

AH good call, Farenheit. Definitely. Come to think of it, I had it at 150.... But i babysat it.. pulling it out to test it every minute.. even less.

alltracman78
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Ask for FIPG (form-in-place-gasket). If they don't know what that is, turn around and run out the door, unless you have no other choice.
FIPG isn't what's used to seal body parts.
Aftermarket silicone is what's normally used, or butyl tape, depending on what you're doing. The only Toyota sealant we really use is the black FIPG and the orange FIPG.

If you go in with a part number [should be in the BGB] they can order it for you. Otherwise they'll probably have no clue, and neither will at least 90% of other dealers.

theorhetoric
02-26-2011, 02:34 AM
FIPG isn't what's used to seal body parts.
Aftermarket silicone is what's normally used, or butyl tape, depending on what you're doing. The only Toyota sealant we really use is the black FIPG and the orange FIPG.

If you go in with a part number [should be in the BGB] they can order it for you. Otherwise they'll probably have no clue, and neither will at least 90% of other dealers.

We looked for a part number to see if a gasket was there.. There was not one listed..

Galcobar
02-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I think he meant part number for FIPG.

Rick89GTS
03-12-2011, 12:22 AM
I got some butyl tape from my local glass and window shop. They sold it by the foot and it was cheap too.

theorhetoric
02-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Actually got out and fixed this in the fall. Wasn't terribly hard. The biggest PITA was having to use Goo Gone to get all of the old sticky ass sealant off. Used rtv reseal and have had no leaks so far. Did find another leak coming from the drivers side rear corner light tho so I will be tackling that pesky little one next. thanks for all the tips on this they were much help.