PDA

View Full Version : Do you like having AC?

lue
03-31-2010, 12:46 AM
so do you guys think having the ac compressor in your car is worthless? to me it is. i don't never ever use the AC in a manual car. I just took mine's out the other day. I was thinking about taking every wire to the AC out completely but I hate jacking up the car.

Murgatroy
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
What is AC?

I removed all of that crap years ago.

The Captain
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
I love having a/c. Won't buy or drive a car without it.

PittsburghCeli
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
My A/C didn't work for a few years until I learned how to recharge it. I remember putting my arm out of the window just to cool off. Sometimes the heat was unbearable, then you bear it and it drains on you, always sweating and being hot. I could remember having to drive with no shirt on alot. I like having A/C rather than the perfomance gain, but if I had a backup car it might not be so bad.

Physlis
03-31-2010, 01:03 AM
I kinda wish my A/C still worked but I've delt without it for a year or two now. Just another thing I want to fix but have never gotten around to...

4thgenceli
03-31-2010, 01:06 AM
My summers can hit 120* for 3 months.....

There's your answer.

lue
03-31-2010, 01:17 AM

There's your answer.

i think if i was in your region i would just keep recharging it

DudeMan
03-31-2010, 01:28 AM
I like it when it works.

grayscale
03-31-2010, 01:29 AM

There's your answer.

Boohoo. Try 100* and 200% humidity.:chucklesfawk:

No AC here. I ripped out all the guts a while back. And it's more than just some wires and the compressor. There's the condenser and all the hard lines also. I think it all weighed in at like 30 or 40 lbs.

Murgatroy
03-31-2010, 01:33 AM

No AC here. I ripped out all the guts a while back. And it's more than just some wires and the compressor. There's the condenser and all the hard lines also. I think it all weighed in at like 30 or 40 lbs.

I have said that for ages now.

120* at 0% humidity is cake. 100* at 100% humidity is hell.

T-spoon
03-31-2010, 01:40 AM
99.9% of the time I don't miss it.

I actually almost got heat stroke and seriously injured last summer though. I got stuck in traffic in the alltrac. Ambient temperature outside the vehicles was 130-something. No wind at all, windshield turning the car into an oven. I drove several summers in Houston with no A/C with no problems, but this one occasion up here nearly did me in, to the point where if I know it's that hot again I'll make sure and take a different route or leave later when it cools down.

Sometimes it is a very real health hazard and not something to be macho about. Most of the time though, A/C? Meh.

Blackcloud
03-31-2010, 01:45 AM
why would i take it out?

i got more then enough hp to overcome what it robs

lue
03-31-2010, 02:24 AM

i think when it gets warmer here i'm going to rip all them extra crap out too! it does come out to weight a lot too..anyways that's why i drive a van as a second car.

4thgenceli
03-31-2010, 02:44 AM
True, high heat & high humidity sucks ASS.

Just not looking forward to the heat yet though :( Fortunally I was able to fix the AC in the wife's daily, and my daily still has great AC.

car
03-31-2010, 02:44 AM
A/C What's that? Is it that blue dial that blows slightly-lower-than-ambient-air-temperature air? I should recharge mine.

I didn't spend a lot of time in Tucson, but that dry heat hits you like a brick whenever you go outside. I can get bad in Indiana, but damn, I was only in Tucson when it was 104. I can't imagine trying to cycle there...

Mafix
03-31-2010, 04:02 AM
a/c makes me sneeze.

Cavanagh
03-31-2010, 04:07 AM
My Celica (first car) didn't have it. I got use to not having it, and have never missed it since. I really enjoy having the windows down and sunroof open over A/C. My friend, is the opposite way, it's quite annoying when I ride with him.

The only thing I could not go without is Heat.

celica9303
03-31-2010, 04:23 AM
i love my a/c especially when its a hot sunny day cruising with the top down and the a/c blowing ice cold..........i know i know i own a convertiable, i shouldn't need a/c....

bzdweezy
03-31-2010, 05:00 AM
i like my a/c but my car runs like crap when its on..very sluggish accel, but i'd rather take off slow and stay cool

187flatliner
03-31-2010, 05:29 AM
for some reason mine dont work...but when its hot my car still stays cool....its called limo tinted windows baby!......plus i park in the shade or garage and it starts off cold. hehehehe:bubbarubb:

85gtsblackman
03-31-2010, 05:31 AM

There's your answer.

hits 115ish 140% humidity, but your a/c blows at 38 degrees, oh wait thats the stx right now

I have said that for ages now.

120* at 0% humidity is cake. 100* at 100% humidity is hell.

true, north ga and florida are 2 differnt regions, i can work in 100+ degree heat w/o humidity, humidity is what kills me

i like my a/c but my car runs like crap when its on..very sluggish accel, but i'd rather take off slow and stay cool

try having a 7afe

geebes
03-31-2010, 05:40 AM
A/C FTW, I try to use it sparingly with my weaksos engine...but it does come in handy on unbearably hot days.

vip09
03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
It's so humid down here in the summer that I put a/c on my Alltrac after previously deleting the a/c. The heat wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the humidity.. it's like walking out of your house and into a sauna.. and you immediately feel drained and don't want to do anything but go back inside.

85gtsblackman
03-31-2010, 09:42 AM
well lets see

i live in florida aka hell, check
doesnt dip under 90 during the day untill november, check
140% humidity during late spring to early fall, check
black heat attracting interior, check
driver is also chocolate colored which is also heat attracting, check
red/black heat attracting car, check

umm yeah, i think im required to have a/c, the only worse thing would be a black car with a dark interior, oh wait........ damnit

5thgenkeeper
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Car has a sun roof so I never used A/C, when the condenser got punctured I just tore it all out and the car performed a lot better for it.

mannygtfour
03-31-2010, 03:11 PM
i wish i had my a/c . specialy when it rain in with humidity in the night time my window gets all fogs up. even the morring time i just open the sunroof and the window. i hate living in new england. right now its been raining heavy for 4days. freaking stop raining pleace. lol

hobbie2k
03-31-2010, 06:18 PM
It's nice, but I can live without it. From about Oct to May in Minnesota you don't need one (although it does help defog), but from June to Sep, even in northern MN, it can reach 100 and it's always very humid. My wife is from Australia where summer temps well about 100 are common, but she (and I) thinks it feels hotter here in the summer because of the humidity, and all the trees block any breeze.

Most of the cars I've owned either didn't have A/C, or it didn't work, and I've never actually paid to fix or recharge an A/C system. Now that I've got a daughter, though, I'll probably be more inclined to use it, for her comfort.

ChrisD
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
My A/C has only worked for 3 months of the 9 years I've owned my 165. :( Maybe someday...

205 has it, sure is nice. :D

VikingJZ
03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
My truck had it and worked great. My fifth gen had it and worked AMAZING after a retrofit/recharge.

My Lexus had it but never worked and would have cost to much to make it work.

All of my Volvo's had it and worked great.

My Celica now does not even have it as an option.

My Saab has it, and it works, but it hasn't been hot enough to use.

I hate NOT having A/C.

85gtsblackman
03-31-2010, 07:19 PM
my 87 truck has frigid a/c as well, my gts i think i needs a new compressor manifold gasket cause it had a leak around there last time i went to fill it

lue
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM

andy
04-01-2010, 04:26 AM
ae86 wont ever have it, my car didnt come with it from the factory, the celica does have it, but no fan for the condensor so it only works at speed, until tommorow when i snag one from a cressida.

CollapsedNut
04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Would would I jack up my sweet ride to gain 5hp?
A/C is epic.

manu
04-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Lived in Malaysia. 100 degrees all year round. Would die without it (although I have gone months without AC). Depends where you're from, I guess. I just turn it off whenever I need the performance. De-coupled, the AC wouldn't take off that much power from the engine.

lue
04-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Lived in Malaysia. 100 degrees all year round. Would die without it (although I have gone months without AC). Depends where you're from, I guess. I just turn it off whenever I need the performance. De-coupled, the AC wouldn't take off that much power from the engine.

i remember here one time last year it got to a one time high 114 degrees only other then that i hope this year is much better or else i'll just be staying home with the central air on 24/7 lol

Unarmed
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Never owned a vehicle with working A/C. The celica's a/c has a ton of air in the system, and leaks. The truck never had it.

As for removing ac, you get rid of 5hp worth of parisitic drag (compared to having the a/c on), and around 40lbs of wieght... On a 3000 pound car like a GT-S there wont be any significant difference between having it installed and off, or removed. Mind you it does give ya a cleaner appearence.

I work on roofs so I am kinda used to the heat. Roofs around here reach between 130-170 while its summer depending on the color. I work dawn to dusk on them when its summer rain or shine. Mind you this is in pinellas county, florida. Its a peninsula on the peninsula. I hate this county during summer, feels like you can almost drink the air.

5thgenkeeper
04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
You should spin the pulley on an a/c compressor sometime. It's pretty heavy, even without the clutch engaged it's like trying to accelerate a second loaded alternator.

T-spoon
04-02-2010, 08:31 PM
People quoting an actual HP number as a general rule for A/C is not correct. It's more like a percentage, and it can amount to more than 4 or 5 HP.

lue
04-02-2010, 09:13 PM
You should spin the pulley on an a/c compressor sometime. It's pretty heavy, even without the clutch engaged it's like trying to accelerate a second loaded alternator.

i'm actually going to weight all of my A/C stuff later and see what it totals up to.. my father saw me taking off my A/C and he told me that I could probably fit my son in that wide open space in the front. lol

kungFUBAR
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I've never owned a car with working a/c. It's nice on rental cars, but I feel weird driving with the windows up :dunno:

manu
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
i'm actually going to weight all of my A/C stuff later and see what it totals up to.. my father saw me taking off my A/C and he told me that I could probably fit my son in that wide open space in the front. lol

This is true, though. If I were somewhere mild, I'd get rid of it in a flash. It weighs a ton. And the climate control either makes it frigid, or turns off altogether until it's too warm. Like everything else in our lovely cars, the compressor is made of lead to last forever (unfortunately, the piping doesn't). And constantly switching it on and off wears down the belt. In fact, if you could vent outside air in (like the driver's side vent) for all AC vents, it'd be good enough for any outside temperature.

wizzards581
04-07-2010, 03:44 AM
ae86 wont ever have it, my car didnt come with it from the factory, the celica does have it, but no fan for the condensor so it only works at speed, until tommorow when i snag one from a cressida.

i use to have a 85 corolla GTS and it had working AC. traded for the ST185 w/ no working AC. 4 yrs later now im gonna have to get rid of the ST185 for a AC'd car for this summer...

celicadude93
04-10-2010, 12:33 AM
i bought the car with the a/c not working. fixed it last summer. since then i used it like the day after i fixed it and that's it. i like having the windows down and the 4afe with the a/c on is like driving an oversized moped