PDA

View Full Version : serious opinions please!

vip09
03-23-2010, 06:01 AM
As some of you know, I've been trying to sell my Alltrac. I've come to the conclusion that I can't sell it without an engine in it.

Debating on whether I should put an ST185 engine/trans set or an ST205 set.

I'm not sure if I would be able to make up the price difference if I put the ST205 set in the car, or if there would be any interest?

As a buyer, what would you guys rather me put in the car? Just need some opinions before I buy anything.

Slider
03-23-2010, 06:45 AM
How much more would the st205 engine cost you?

vip09
03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Around 5 or 600 dollars american.

celica91gts
03-23-2010, 07:33 AM
unless you have a real definite buyer set up i'd honestly throw another 185 in it just to be able to sell her. if you threw a 205 in there the price to sell would go up and finding a buyer would be difficult unless you found another celica enthusiast.

vip09
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
The only people that buy alltracs are celica enthusiasts....

METDeath
03-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I'd throw in a ST185 motor, JDM or otherwise. Of course, you could always through a 5S-FE in there too :lolhitting:

ChrisD
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
As a buyer, having the 205 engine would be a definite plus. However, selling to the general market, they'd usually rather OEM...and like anything getting a reasonable return on it is unlikely.

However, from the enthusiast community, you would probably get more interest in a 205 swapped car than just your standard 185 setup.

4thgenceli
03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
You should give Venus Auto a call in Cali... They may have some deal for you.

When I called on a 185 motor set, the owner told me they had a 215 set for half the price of the 185 due to overstock.

Just a thought :P

But yeah, I'm with everyone else. 205 if it's going to an enthuist, or 185 to a normal person.

vip09
03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm still thinking "normal" people don't buy Alltracs anyway... lol.

Tecker184
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
my thoughts are if you can get a 205 engine set for $5-600. Put it in there and sell the intercooler/trans separate to try and recoup cost.

Murgatroy
03-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I think the issue that is hurting your sale is the shape of the chassis you are starting with.

A Celica enthusiast (hardcore) won't care if there isn't an engine in there. They want the Alltrac. Dropping a fresh engine into it isn't that big of an issue. Sure, a novice or less skilled enthusiast is gonna want a turnkey project.

I know you did a lot of work on the car to take care of the body rot, but there is still A LOT of work to get it back into 'presentable' shape.

Even a hardcore enthusiast has to look twice as something like that.

That is just my opinion, take it or leave it, but I feel you are asking too much for the car. I have seen very solid and well sorted `Tracs going for $5k. Even with your suspension and supporting mods, I think that $5k is too much, even running.

I would think that with a 205 swap, an enthusiast might be more interested in your car at the $3k mark. Maybe $4k.

Trance4c
03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I think the issue that is hurting your sale is the shape of the chassis you are starting with.

A Celica enthusiast (hardcore) won't care if there isn't an engine in there. They want the Alltrac. Dropping a fresh engine into it isn't that big of an issue. Sure, a novice or less skilled enthusiast is gonna want a turnkey project.

I know you did a lot of work on the car to take care of the body rot, but there is still A LOT of work to get it back into 'presentable' shape.

Even a hardcore enthusiast has to look twice as something like that.

That is just my opinion, take it or leave it, but I feel you are asking too much for the car. I have seen very solid and well sorted `Tracs going for $5k. Even with your suspension and supporting mods, I think that $5k is too much, even running.

I would think that with a 205 swap, an enthusiast might be more interested in your car at the $3k mark. Maybe $4k.

QFT

Without an engine or trans, the current asking price of 3K is unrealistic. I've asked Vip, it would be sold if he wants to sell it bad enough but nothing has come of it. Just the notion that dropping a 205 engine in, you could then ask for that price range is evidence of the fact your current asking price, condition and lack of engine is keeping it from selling.

I'd honestly snatch it up in a heart beat, but again.. its all in your price.

If you want to sell the car bad enough, talk to me or others that have inquired, don't waste your time and money doing more work to it you won't get out of it. Your gunna take a loss, thats just the name of the game. Anything more you do to it, is just going to continue to grow your number in red. You want to sell bad enough, you'll cut your losses and sell it to someone without dropping more coin.

Just my 2 cents, Vip knows I'd buy it, I'm sure others would too. My post is not to be critical, only honest.

vip09
03-23-2010, 06:02 PM
If someone were to offer me $2k I would let it go as it is. I could probably make more than that by just selling parts from it, but I'd rather someone actually use the car.

I really do appreciate the honest opinions though!

Murgatroy
03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
I know, and I wouldn't have said that unless I knew you wanted honesty.

IMO, in running shape, with a 185 engine, I think your car would sell a lot faster and for a more reasonable price than it would as a shell or with a 205 swap.

For reasons pointed out. Only an enthusiast would buy it with a 205 swap, and then they would be concerned about the rust.

With a 185, the gig would be running, easy to maintain (no overnighting parts from Japan) and easy for the layman to understand what he was getting.

renegadex
03-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I think 2k is a good price for that shell. But I may be biased, I have worked on it.

Carolina91GT-S
03-24-2010, 12:10 AM
I would pay $2k for the shell if it was closer to me, or substantially easier for me to get it to NC

~Chris

matteo80
03-24-2010, 12:44 AM
As some of you know, I've been trying to sell my Alltrac. I've come to the conclusion that I can't sell it without an engine in it.

Debating on whether I should put an ST185 engine/trans set or an ST205 set.

I'm not sure if I would be able to make up the price difference if I put the ST205 set in the car, or if there would be any interest?

As a buyer, what would you guys rather me put in the car? Just need some opinions before I buy anything.

4afe ftw!!

donteatbugs
03-24-2010, 12:52 AM
put a 3sfe in it and sell it as a camry alltrac conversion

Lonestag
03-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't know,
I think you would have better luck selling it as a shell.
I just don't think you are going to add as much value putting in an engine as you will get out of what you have now.

Any one who pays for this car will be buying the idea of the alltrac, somthing they car put their own ideas into, not a whole car.

Just my thoughts.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-25-2010, 12:04 AM
My feeling is go with the 185 set up. The 205 swap would be nice but it may turn some potential buyers off. Our cars are getting old enough now and the awareness of them is getting low, a lot of enthusists don't really even now what they are now. If you want to sell it reasonable quick, go with the 185 set up. Parts are available without the difficulty of some the 205 stuff. I know that Josh has had problems finding things like the O2 sensor for his swap. It's not that you can't find 205 parts, they're just not as easy to get as the 185 parts. I think this will work in your favor with a lot of people that might be interested in the car.

Just my 2 cents.

Luni
03-25-2010, 01:38 AM
For real guys? Are you serious? The 205 stuff turning people off?

The 205 engine is bettery in every way, shape and form. If it was only 600 dollars more, the buyer would have to be a dumbass to not want it, considering VIP is the one who has to do all the work to make it run.

The 205 engine would absolutely make it worth more money. Hell, if I was looking at 2 alltracs, and one had a "clean" 185 engine and one had a 205 engine, Id go for the 205 engined one for sure.

Having driven both theyre not even on the same playing field. If you havent driven a Gen3 3SGTE but youve driven a Gen2, go drive a Gen3 and then come back and tell me you dont know, the Gen2 might be the way to go.

It isnt.

Now, with that said, if all youre out to do is make money off it, you want the cheapest possible engine you can get. But at the same time, in my opinion, selling a 185 with a 205 engine/trans set is more likely to get you more money.

In my experience an MR2 with a Gen3 swap in it is going to fetch 2k more than the same car with just a Gen2 in it. On average.

I say go Gen3, but at the same time you might not even want to sell the car if you go Gen3. I would LOVE to have a 185 with a Gen3 in it.

And I also think you were asking too much for just the shell. But I think you can ask for more for a running car (obviously) than a shell.

celica9303
03-25-2010, 03:19 AM
word on whAT luni said