PDA

View Full Version : importing a GT4

99celiGT
03-16-2010, 01:28 AM
has anyone imported a 6th gen GT4 into the U.S. im sure somebody has. just wondering what the process is and how much of a pain this can be. i plan on gettin it from either UK or Japan. any advice would help. thx

Murgatroy
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM
It has been done, but not legally, and it is a HUGE pain in the ass.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-16-2010, 01:32 AM
There appear to be a few in the states but "officially" it's a no go. Unfortunately they aren't DOT/EPA legal. But evidently there are ways around it. I've seen one or two for sale in FL in the past couple of years that were supposed to be authentic. It's easier to register them in some states than others, but you've always got the worry about the feds.

KM
03-16-2010, 02:26 AM
US DOT laws say you can import, but the importer has so-and-so time to make it street legal. You can import it as a track-only or show car, but you would never be able to tag it.

burnyd
03-16-2010, 02:42 AM
^^ correcto!

Show car or a kit car, but it has to look like a kit car obviously..... its easier to get it from canada and trailor it down... obviously your limited for a 94-95 though.

187flatliner
03-16-2010, 02:49 AM
couldnt you just trailer it down, take out the interior put up a fake roll cage and pass it off as a kit car?

99celiGT
03-16-2010, 04:00 AM
so, buying a canadian version on the GT4 would be a less pain in terms of legallizing and tagging it??

Shadowlife25
03-16-2010, 04:38 AM
You're misunderstanding this.

You can NOT legally have a 6th gen GT4 in the USA.

It was never sold or imported here and therefore can not be tagged or registered/insured as a street driven vehicle.

It would be suitable solely for track/show use and would have to be brought everywhere on a trailer.

You would also,even if you DID somehow manage to get it registered, never pass emissions due to no egr and it not being listed as a stock USDM engine for the car.

But, you're in FLA, so likely you can get one that is already there since they don't seem to give a damn. :)

burnyd
03-16-2010, 04:23 PM
it would be 30000000x easier to just purchase one here in the states...

what we are trying to tell you is there is no documented way of doing this!

there is no easy way, most people cannot offer you advice on how to do it because honestly we dont know! We do know that every state is different.. getting the car at your door step is the easier part but registering the car in your name here in USA so that it is driveable is very difficult.

ChrisD
03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Also, the people who have done it are not exactly keen on sharing, because it involves not so legal methods of doing so (eg. VIN swapping).

Options:

a) Buy a GT, swap in the 3sgte and enjoy
b) But a GT, do the 4WD conversion (*lots* of work) and enjoy
c) Buy a 90-93 Alltrac and enjoy
d) Join the hundreds of others who have asked this question and eventually gave up on the idea

burnyd
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
^ lol @ D.

Da MuNMaN
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Options B sounds like the most fun..lol...but it prolly would be better or easier to just buy an all trac

burnyd
03-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Most of the 4wd custom jobs have been such a hack job lol, but looking at the converstion if you have the entire drive train from a St205 and you had your heart set on it I dont see it being like a huuugggggeeee project but keep in mind its going to add a ton of weight and the feel of it suspension wise might feel right.....

I meen the driveshaft tunnel is there.. all the carrier bearing Screws are there for a Driveshaft as well as where to put the rear diff in.... theres a few threads on 6gc.net if interested.

4thgenceli
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
You're misunderstanding this.

You can NOT legally have a 6th gen GT4 in the USA.

It was never sold or imported here and therefore can not be tagged or registered/insured as a street driven vehicle.

It would be suitable solely for track/show use and would have to be brought everywhere on a trailer.

You would also,even if you DID somehow manage to get it registered, never pass emissions due to no egr and it not being listed as a stock USDM engine for the car.

But, you're in FLA, so likely you can get one that is already there since they don't seem to give a damn. :)
This is not 100% true.

It depends on the state.

*edit*
Damnit, I can't find the document I received from my localt DoT.

It all depends on your state. Yes, in Cali I'm sure it's damn near impossible to import a GT4. Myself here in AZ however, I am able to. From the information I received from the horse's mouth (Local DMV, ADOT, and law enforcement) I can legally import any vehicle, it just needs to meet emissions requirements (sniffer/OBDii,visual) and be of a certain age. Now, I can't remember if it's 15 or 20 years, but it is no problem to import one. (Yes, I am planning on a ST205 :P).

I will post up the email I received once I can find it again.

***DISCLAIMER***
Speak to your local DMV or Department of Transportation to import a vehicle.

andy
03-30-2010, 09:15 PM
getting a car 25 years or older is legal in almost all states, its just got to have emissions for that year.

chewabacha
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Pay to have someone convert a 6th gen or pick up an ST185. Unless you're really into that whole RHD JDM thing then go for it.