PDA

View Full Version : Lost a hood vent.

KM
03-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Passenger side CF AT hood vent blew off, I'm guessing last night on the interstate. I didn't see it, and didn't notice it until I went out to eat for lunch.
Thought maybe it blew off on my way to the restaurant, so I headed back to the apartment, and retraced my steps from my parking space back to the restaurant. No go.
And turns out nobody sells the vents. I've asked 3 ebay vendors, and have an open ticket with VIS Racing seeing if they'll sell one.
Can't use one from Toyota, since they're made of metal and it'd end up ripping off again.

Looks like I'll be buying some fiberglass mats and resin.
Atleast I have the other one to make a mould with, granted it won't be carbon fiber unless I fake it. Vents will both end up black.

Mr. Babb
03-15-2010, 02:33 AM
those vents bolt on, right? so how did you "blow it off"?

KM
03-15-2010, 02:35 AM
those vents bolt on, right? so how did you "blow it off"?

Engine vibration wiggled the nuts loose.
I'd already dropped one of the nuts out, and replaced it, but never bought loctite.

Hookecho
03-15-2010, 02:48 AM
man that sucks. i'll make you one out of popsicle sticks.

CriScO
03-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Did John or Cannon need one? Marshall? That may've been what happened.

:hehe:

KM
03-15-2010, 05:43 AM

John was the first person I called, 'cause I knew he'd probably know how to get replacements. Toyota can get the orginal vents, but obviously not carbon fiber.
Cannon isn't even local right now.
And it's Marshall's old hood.

I'm taking a temporary route while I figure out how I need to make a new one.
I have some 1mm plexiglass, so I cut out the shape of a vent with my dremel, using the remaining vent as a template. Lined it up to the vent hole and trimmed it to fit, then marked and drilled holes where they need to be. Sanded all the edges with 800 then 2000 grit paper, then sanded the face with 400 grit to hold paint. I already have it primed with plastic primer and have one coat of Duplicolor gloss black automotive paint. Really wanted a cigarette, and my pack was inside, so I figured I'd take a break while that first real coat of paint dry.

It'll atleast keep water out, and my belts dry. When it popped out, it popped the carbon fiber loose from the bottom layer, although it didn't damage anything. It's nothing an adhesive and soft clamp won't fix.

Kind of pissed off about it all. I mean, I know it's not the greatest quality hood in the world, but I do get a lot of compliments. Then there's the fact that carbon fiber isn't cheap to replace no matter if I do the work myself or not.

KM
03-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Here's the hole for the vent.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/8/3/4/9/dsc_0010.jpg

And my vent block plate, primered and one coat of black paint applied.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/8/3/4/9/dsc_0013.jpg

I put another coat on after the picture, and I'm gonna let it dry overnight so I can sand it down tomorrow and do a 3rd coat.

Shadowlife25
03-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Which way are (were) the vents facing? I can't tell from the photo.

Also, just use some stock Toyota ones. They won't blow out if fastened properly.

grayscale
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah, just use a stock vent. I don't see why it would blow off just cause it's stock. Just remember to use some Loctite on the threads.

zen
03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
this happens all the time.. i've lost one on the high way too. i had to buy another set just to replace one side. i got another vent kicking around in the garage. if your interested, pm me.

KM
03-15-2010, 06:32 PM
this happens all the time.. i've lost one on the high way too. i had to buy another set just to replace one side. i got another vent kicking around in the garage. if your interested, pm me.

Which vent do you have left? It's the passenger side I need, and the bolts aren't the same as the driver's.

The Captain
03-15-2010, 06:57 PM

:thefinger:

zen
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
i have the driverside.. but think bolt pattern are the same iirc.. well, i will check when i get home from school

Physlis
03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
^The bolt pattern is the same, but only if you turn one around, lol.

I've got a set of black ones from my old 185. One is a little off from when I bent the hood, but it's not very noticable and nothing a little twist won't fix. Let me know.

METDeath
03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Sad part is I warned him I had one of those very same nuts come off and had to replace it...

KM
03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I put FIPG on the drivers side vent since I don't know where my loctite is.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/8/3/4/9/dsc_0003_688082.jpg

The vents are mirror opposites of each other. The top holes are scoop-side, while the bottom holes are fender-side.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/8/3/4/9/dsc_0002_350371.jpg

KM
03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
^The bolt pattern is the same, but only if you turn one around, lol.

I've got a set of black ones from my old 185. One is a little off from when I bent the hood, but it's not very noticable and nothing a little twist won't fix. Let me know.

Price shipped to 30265?

zen
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
okay, sorry i have the driver side.. i tried.. lolz..

KM
04-09-2010, 01:07 AM
check on ebay

Most amazing advice ever, in a month old thread at that!

I bought metal vents from Physlis, got 'em today and installed them right away.

I had to dremel even more of my hood to get them to sit.
The OEM metal vents and VIS CF vents totally do not have the studs in the same places. The VIS vents are about a cm from the edge while OEM is more like 1.5-2.
I'm a little worried about them flying off again, so I'm going to get some big washers, rivet them to the hood and fiberglass them over. That'll give it a bit more reinforcement.

And the box they came in was almost as heavy as the hood.

DudeMan
04-09-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm surprised anyone's had an issue with this. I've always found the vents to be very sturdy.

On the other hand the fake carbon fibre trim piece on top of the bumper flew off while I was driving, smacked into my windshield and rolled over my car.

Still need to replace that damn thing...

KM
04-09-2010, 04:40 AM
I'm surprised anyone's had an issue with this. I've always found the vents to be very sturdy.

On the other hand the fake carbon fibre trim piece on top of the bumper flew off while I was driving, smacked into my windshield and rolled over my car.

Still need to replace that damn thing...

The metal ones are sturdy. The CF ones weigh like an ounce. It was just a problem with me not putting loc-tite on it, and the engine vibration wiggled it loose.
OEM one is doing just fine.

celica9303
04-09-2010, 04:50 AM
id call vis and complain they usually make good shit

Physlis
04-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Good to hear they're working for you.

grayscale
04-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Good in the case of VIS means better than the other cf hoods out there, but I've never thought they're all that great. The hoods are always tad bit on the small side, leaving larger than desirable gaps all around.

KM
04-10-2010, 03:35 AM

Have you ever tried to complain about something you bought secondthird-hand? It doesn't work.

And either way, I have paid a total of... oh, hey, $30. Not including gas to pick it up, but that's really not bad for a carbon fiber hood. That's like 5%.

METDeath
04-10-2010, 02:09 PM
All the VIS CF hoods have issues for our cars, I can personally speak for the AT and CS style hoods, grayscale can speak for the stock style hood. The CS hood is practically perfect, even has the spoiler on it, however it has the front trim molded in, so you can't use a correct piece, the AT hood has a small area on the front where it has a gap between the fender and the hood. The AT hood also has the space to mount the front trim, however NONE of the holes are drilled out/shaped properly, so unless the one I (and now KM) got simply slipped through QC somehow, it all ends up with me being terribly unimpressed with VIS. Oh, and with CS and AT the hood latches didn't close correctly.

KM
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
The issue with the front trim was (1) the holes weren't predrilled (2) the alignment of those holes were off.

I ruined a perfectly good front trim drillling through it so I could mark the hood. And it turns out the hole marks that were cast into the hood were completely wrong. So I took it the easy way, and epoxied the trim on.