PDA

View Full Version : advance timing

magman6969
03-13-2010, 04:34 PM
i have a 93 gt with the 5sfe anyone advaced the timing to run 93 instead of 87 iv found some people online that have but wanted some more input is it worth the price at the pump or will i do more damage than good

Hookecho
03-13-2010, 05:34 PM
it won't hurt anything tho advance it to 13-15 degrees btdc. you'll fell a little more throttle response but it's not like big hp gain or anything. plus it may help you to google dynamic and static timing to help you understand timing better.

Smaay
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
i did this on a 7A that i just rebuild. i cranked it up to about 15 BTDC and run 91 gas. it really made a difference.

joe's gt
03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I agree with Hookechoo in advancing it 3-5 degrees

magman6969
04-01-2010, 03:53 AM
thax guys you get better throttle response can you relly tell a dif some seems a lot ppl yas and lot say no

Farlow1
04-22-2010, 03:34 PM
i wanna advance my timing as well, but i've ran into a little problem and i need some help to fix it.... Im already running 93, so it's ready to advance, but when i went to advance it, i found out that my distributer is as far advanced as it will go, and im only running the stock 10 degrees btdc... what should/can i do?

manbridge
04-26-2010, 05:09 AM
Time for distrib removal and filing/dremeling the slot. 20K miles on mine with enlarged slot and no issues.

Grot
04-26-2010, 05:39 AM
I wouldn't do that. You need to advance your mechanical timing (timing belt) just a little. Doing his should allow you to retard you electronic timing (distributor) so that you have the same timing setting you have right now. Doing this should allow for more timing advance with the dizzy allowing you to run 13-15 degree timing.

Shadowlife25
04-26-2010, 07:07 AM
i wanna advance my timing as well, but i've ran into a little problem and i need some help to fix it.... Im already running 93, so it's ready to advance, but when i went to advance it, i found out that my distributer is as far advanced as it will go, and im only running the stock 10 degrees btdc... what should/can i do?

If your distributor is already at full advance and you are only at 10deg, you need to redo your timing belt.
It is most likely off a tooth.

manbridge
04-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I agree, but if your mech timing is spot on, perhaps you have a rebuilt/resealed distrib. and PO didn't get it oriented just right. I found this to be true in my case.

manbridge
04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh, and if your mechanical timing is off, enjoy your transition from Yugo levels of power to something resembling proper power. Unless 5SFE with its slave cam setup does not make much of a difference being one tooth off. Every 4 cyl. car that came into our shop with skipped t-belt ran like shizzle.

Oh snap, I just noticed that I'm supposed to post in Introductions. I didn't notice being I'm a little new and this site looks a little "busy" to this 43 yr old tech's eyes. My posts will become clearer with time, I suppose.

Farlow1
04-27-2010, 03:21 AM
ok cool, sounds like something i can try and work out, its felt like its been missing a crap ton of power....

Shadowlife25
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh, and if your mechanical timing is off, enjoy your transition from Yugo levels of power to something resembling proper power. Unless 5SFE with its slave cam setup does not make much of a difference being one tooth off. Every 4 cyl. car that came into our shop with skipped t-belt ran like shizzle.

Oh snap, I just noticed that I'm supposed to post in Introductions. I didn't notice being I'm a little new and this site looks a little "busy" to this 43 yr old tech's eyes. My posts will become clearer with time, I suppose.

I'm in the "old guy" club as well. ;)
Honestly we have a decent amount of more "mature" members, so no worries.

You are exactly right though, with the timing off there will be a very noticeable lack of power, which with a 5s, is significant.

93celicaconv
04-27-2010, 02:03 PM
The question about advancing timing and using 93 octane fuel was from a person with a 93 Rev. 2 5S-FE, which has some spark advance protection by way of a knock sensor.

Would you recommend the same on a 90-91 Rev. 1 5S-FE that does not have a knock sensor? On any engine, such as the 4A-FE w/o knock sensor?

manbridge
04-27-2010, 02:56 PM
My thoughts:

I'm at 8500ft elevation so you can get away with a lot advance on base timing without detonation/knock. Even on 85 octane with no knock sensor I get no audible pings or evidence of det. on plugs/pistons. I'm fairly certain the guys who built the car state in the manual that light pinging is okay occasionally. But I'm a "if it knocks/pings at all, I'm a little worried" kind of guy. If you have a loud exhaust, you may not notice. It might depend on the gas formulation in your area, I suppose.

Farlow1
04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
do yall have any suggestions on fixing he mechanical timing with out dropping the motor (5sfe, rev 1)? is it going to be too difficult to get to it and set it right?

manbridge
04-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Its been awhile since I've done mine, but from what I remember.....

Seems the hard part is getting a straight view of marks. I like a mirror and bright flashlight. I also remove passenger motor mount and front mount thru bolt and use a block of wood on a floor jack to get better clearance to work. 1/4 drive swivel sockets also help a lot. Keep zero t-belt slack on the NON tensioner side of gears when releasing tensioner. The manual is fairly clear as well.

Farlow1
04-27-2010, 07:56 PM
ok. thanks =D

93celicaconv
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Farlow1, maybe this thread will help you?

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47246

Farlow1
04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
so i thought i would update yall. while checking my valve lash and reshimming the out of spec ones, i noticed that my mech. timing is indeed off....

Grot
04-29-2010, 12:22 PM
while your in there replacing the t-belt couldnt hurt.

Farlow1
04-30-2010, 08:15 PM
well just to update every one, i got in there and got it timed correctly, it was one freaking tooth off.... while putting it back together i accidently touch the hot wire from the alternater to the engine and blew the big 100 amp fuse (at like 2 in the morning!)... got it all together and then had to wait until the stores opened up at 8 in the morning to get a new fuse... blah! but on the upside its running and is pulling noticably harder =) however now its idles wonky, but thats a problem for a different thread lol