PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe Exhausts

unknowncelicawheels
03-11-2010, 11:41 PM
My engine is being rebuilt and while it is down I am going to build a cat back exhaust system for it

I am looking for a good sounding muffler not to farty. If you have a sound clip or a video of you exhaust I would like to hear it.

grayscale
03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Magnaflow. Not the cheapest, unless you can find a good used one like I did, but you just can't beat them. Best mufflers on the market IMO. I'll try to get a sound byte this weekend.

GTAsian
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I have a Borla. It's pretty subtle until it hits 3k+ rpm. It's a very low, deep tone. Cost me $180 for the muffler and hangers. Im still looking for a good midpipe though.

Okctrd
03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
i second magnaflow, i have one on my legacy and agree with how deep it sounds.

i have an apexi n1 on my celica and it was quiet, until i installed headers, but i like it.
it doesn't get loud till i hit 3k rpm.

heres a vid of the magnaflow, stock headers, cats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX73gW46H2k

91convertible
03-13-2010, 01:50 AM
has anyone looked at the pacesetter system made for our cars?

chasingsafety
03-13-2010, 03:44 AM
pacesetter is horrible raspy

85gtsblackman
03-14-2010, 08:36 AM
in this order

borla
magnaflow
ansa
flowmaster

if u want it to the point of just a deep growl without the rasp id go with the factory camry header, a large resonator, 2.25 piping, and a borla muffler

liplip
03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
My magnaflow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frjUs4EitZY

magman6969
03-14-2010, 09:58 PM
i have an hks coming for mine so that should have a nice low sound and when you say a bigger resinator line how long and what size piping should i go with

unknowncelicawheels
03-15-2010, 01:41 AM
the mini muffler in the middle of the exhaust is the resonator right, Im new to exhausts and don't know much about them.

Galcobar
03-15-2010, 02:22 AM
A resonator does not equal a muffler. A round-body muffler under the car in the same position as the resonator is still not a resonator. A straight-through muffler is not a resonator.

Apologies if that looks like a rant, but it seems necessary sometimes to get that out of the way.

A resonator is a hollow echo chamber which bounces sound waves into each other, cancelling them out. Thus a resonator is better at smoothing the exhaust note than it is at lowering the volume. The ugly buzz you'll hear from poorly done exhausts is typically due to the lack of a resonator.

A straight-through muffler, which are often incorrectly labelled as resonators because of their similar outer shapes, is packed with sound-absorbing insulation -- something like ceramic matting, steel wool, or in cheap versions, fibreglass. These mufflers offer minimal flow impairment but are good at reducing the volume of the exhaust. Their primary advantage is that you can use a longer one to get more sound absorption without significantly impairing exhaust flow.

magman6969
03-15-2010, 03:48 AM
ok so how long and what size pipe should i use to make i good resonator if im going with 2.5 piping would 3 piping like 18 to 24 in with reducers on the ends work or is it mor comp... than that

grayscale
03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
A resonator is not something you make. It is an item you purchase and install like a muffler or header.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
pacesetter is horrible raspy

I think my pacesetter exhaust sounds just fine. I got an amazing price on it via Summit. Helps that I picked it up from the store too.

2 1/4" Cat-Back Pacesetter Monza on a 5SFE

It is deep, without rumble and being loud. It has a good sound only if you use a resonator with it. If it's raspy or buzzing sounding, you are missing the resonator.

I would like to put a 2 1/2" - 3" inch Borla on the GT-S, but that can wait till after grad school. There are a ton of MR2 owners who use Borla with good results.

A resonator is not something you make. It is an item you purchase and install like a muffler or header.

Unless you have the know-how to design an echo chamber better then what you can buy... average mechanic, not so much

Hookecho
03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
yeah, i've used pacesetter exhausts before. i've had no problem with them. if you set them up incorrectly any exhaust system will sound horrible. like stated above, if you want a great sounding tone then use a resonator. any other way just sounds farty.

CriScO
03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/FatherCriScO/?action=view&current=Headerpull001.flv

OBX header, stock front pipe/flex pipe, 2.5" pipe from flex back, one 18" resonator, Magnaflow muffler at the rear. This is the standard old oval style Magnaflow, not the round import style. No cat.

Note that this was recorded by my phone sitting on the passenger seat. It ain't exactly quiet. :)

What sucks is that I'm going to have to ditch the resonator for a cat when I'm due for emissions testing in a couple of months.

Hookecho
03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
^ sounds really good.

Dougy90
03-18-2010, 05:09 PM
i just had a completey new exhaust put on since my old muffler blew out and i was tired of the fart can (way too loud for me now). I bought a magnaflow muffler and a resonator and had 2.25 in piping installed. It sounds great and u really cant beat the sound if your looking for something mellow yet still has a sporty sound when u get into it

Grot
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/FatherCriScO/?action=view&current=Headerpull001.flv

OBX header, stock front pipe/flex pipe, 2.5" pipe from flex back, one 18" resonator, Magnaflow muffler at the rear. This is the standard old oval style Magnaflow, not the round import style. No cat.

Note that this was recorded by my phone sitting on the passenger seat. It ain't exactly quiet. :)

What sucks is that I'm going to have to ditch the resonator for a cat when I'm due for emissions testing in a couple of months.

Mount both your resonator and cat on flanges so that they can be interchanged with just a couple bolts.

StormyBklyn
03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
has anyone looked at the pacesetter system made for our cars?

Yes, and avoid it like the plague! I bought it, spent $200 on it, had it installed, and was happy... for a week. Then it sounded like something got thrashed inside the muffler itself. Sounded like a rock rattling inside a soda can. I cut off the muffler, put a RACtive on, and haven't had any complaints since. So, I guess what I'm saying is that the piping is good, the muffler sucks. And FYI, my setup is a Surewin header into Pacesetter pipes into a RACtive muffler, no cat or resonator.

Dougy90
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
thats a good idea to put the resonator and cat on flanges...makes it easier to work on later.

but use fine threaded bolts. found out i was missing two bolts from my new exhaust system cause midas decided to use course threaded bolts and no lock-tite. problem solved after a trip to the hardware store

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes, and avoid it like the plague! I bought it, spent $200 on it, had it installed, and was happy... for a week. Then it sounded like something got thrashed inside the muffler itself. Sounded like a rock rattling inside a soda can. I cut off the muffler, put a RACtive on, and haven't had any complaints since. So, I guess what I'm saying is that the piping is good, the muffler sucks. And FYI, my setup is a Surewin header into Pacesetter pipes into a RACtive muffler, no cat or resonator.

I will get a video up of my pacesetter muffler. 2 years later, no problems. Sounds great IMO. Not loud, just deep and certainly not rattling or raspy. Did you install it? Or did someone else install it?

thats a good idea to put the resonator and cat on flanges...makes it easier to work on later.

but use fine threaded bolts. found out i was missing two bolts from my new exhaust system cause midas decided to use course threaded bolts and no lock-tite. problem solved after a trip to the hardware store

Ace Hardware has a great SAE bolt section with finer threaded bolts. I also use locking washers from time to time on various things I don't want to use thread lock on. I am always filling up a bag with fasteners when I'm there.

StormyBklyn
03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
I will get a video up of my pacesetter muffler. 2 years later, no problems. Sounds great IMO. Not loud, just deep and certainly not rattling or raspy. Did you install it? Or did someone else install it?

Nope, shop did when I had my first engine swapped out. I sounded like the sound insulation melted, broke off and started rattling around when I would hit the gas. I don't even know if that's possible, but that was the sound. Went away as soon as I had the other muffler put on.

magman6969
03-19-2010, 03:26 AM
will mr2 header with down pipe work on a 5g gt and i just put on a hks muffler with out any other piping done and sounds pretty nice it real low

Galcobar
03-19-2010, 08:00 AM

Or you could purchase a catalytic converter with a resonated core and get the effect of both items in one piece. MagnaFlow's parent company Car-Sound makes one.

Hookecho
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
will mr2 header with down pipe work on a 5g gt

they won't fit.