PDA

View Full Version : Gen1 TMIC ratings

4thgenceli
03-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Anyone offhand know the ratings of the gen1 WTA setup (max HP, etc)?

Planning on getting my FMIC here by mid-april, and I'm pricing out a WTA TMIC setup using the gen1 parts.

I'm thinking I'm gonna be told to :fuckoff: because I have a gen4, and if I wanted W2A I should use a gen3's setup.

DudeMan
03-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Low. I'm pretty sure the gen II ATA top mount is considered an upgrade over the gen I WTA.

I would go front mount or as you said, grab a gen III WTA.

4thgenceli
03-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Low. I'm pretty sure the gen II ATA top mount is considered an upgrade over the gen I WTA.

I would go front mount or as you said, grab a gen III WTA.
What I figured. Just the pricing of a FMIC and the gen1 TMIC setup is about the same cost, but if the gen1 can't handle the power of the gen4, I'll just go with what Ryan & Chris are putting in theirs.

alistair
03-10-2010, 02:40 AM
My stock WTA would be warm/hot to the touch during light driving in the summer. I did the always on mod for the pump and also wrapped the bottom/sides with a material that insulates and reflects heat.

My IC is now cool to the touch the majority of the time and seems to work quite well @ 12PSI.

HOWEVER this is purely subjective information and I have absolutely no facts or data to back up my claims of lower IAT's after doing the mods I did.

ChrisD
03-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Well, the 185RC intercooler is over twice the size of the 165 IC, and the 205 one is a bit thicker yet.

I am not a fan of the gen 1 IC to be honest. I'd give it maybe stock + 10psi, after that I'd start looking for something better...and since you've got the 215, I think you're well past that.

It would also be a pain to do the whole setup now and change it in a couple months...

LOL, I'm on my 3rd WTA IC, and now I'm going FMIC haha.

zen
03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
fmic is the way to go. the intake manifold is different and you would have to rework the piping to fit. its a tight squeeze because the outlet of the gen1 wta intercooler is designed for center feed intake. st215 has a side feed intake. not worth the time in my opinion..

4thgenceli
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
fmic is the way to go. the intake manifold is different and you would have to rework the piping to fit. its a tight squeeze because the outlet of the gen1 wta intercooler is designed for center feed intake. st215 has a side feed intake. not worth the time in my opinion..
Shit you're right. Glad I blabbed my thoughts before I did it :P

Klue
03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
gen 1 intake is not good for more than 300 crank hp. because of the physical restrictions. As for cooling, it needs a bigger exchanger and added capacity to work better.

gen 2 top mount ATA is a dog, i would rather gen 1 WTA.

gen 2 WTA is pretty good is very hard to bleed the air and match with a good pump unless you get the cs one.

gen3 WTA is obviously the best option for WTA. it also has the most favorable dimensions for maximum flow.

gen 4 ATA is much better than the gen 2 ATA. inlet outlet are fixed for side feed, and the core is much much bigger

Mafix
03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
and FMIC over rules them all except the gen 3.

v8killer
03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
thats why i am not suppose to run my stock 165 core on 16psi with the 82mm compressor my turbo has lol. 300hp max at crank on the 165 core. i might test the differences between the 165 and 205 core in a couple months on the dyno with no other mods but idk

burnyd
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
FMIC is the way to go in a FF 3sgte platform....... only viable reason for a W2a is for a Mr2.

v8killer
03-25-2010, 04:48 PM
here we go again, so after all is said why do most drag cars running stupid high boost run WTA?? it could have something to do with the fact that heat tranfers from aluminum to water 400 times better than aluminum to air. in the end it comes down to preference. a well done ATA will have less weight but slightly less response. a well done WTA will have better response but be a little more weight. if either one is done right the power will almost always be the same. and to add to the ATA you can freeze it to help cooling, to add to the WTA you add in a icewater box. still the net effect is the same with just the 2 differences.

burnyd
03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
here we go again, so after all is said why do most drag cars running stupid high boost run WTA?? it could have something to do with the fact that heat tranfers from aluminum to water 400 times better than aluminum to air. in the end it comes down to preference. a well done ATA will have less weight but slightly less response. a well done WTA will have better response but be a little more weight. if either one is done right the power will almost always be the same. and to add to the ATA you can freeze it to help cooling, to add to the WTA you add in a icewater box. still the net effect is the same with just the 2 differences.

I think it more less has to do with how much space is avalible plus the amount of power they are making.